Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, All caught up.
Welcome Kong!!
Everything looks great guys!!
Jess, If you decide to do Trek unis 9didn't we discuss that once too?) count me IN. I have the SFM Trek heads and they are just dying for true Trek unis.
Sticks!! If you're bring the crew down to Central City they will of course need to be captured. Then rescued by Burke and Virdon, and lastly, and regrettably left behind by the crew via the Prime directive. Or you could start filming my old crossover story if you want? Might even get me back on task of continuing it.
Angel, got your emails, got outbid three times on Ursus. That Julius looks damn good. How long before you start offering arm reconditioning services?
DZ, sorry to hear about your job. When my wife was ill in the beginning of the year I had to take a month of FMLA time. It doesn't count against my time in but it wasn't paid time either so we've been playing catch up all year. Hell, if we hadn't already had the weekend covered we'd have lost that too.
Anyway, its great to be back. I bought some paints before i left so i may be trying those out shortly and see what kind of mess I can make. LOL

Good luck with the painting Ironman. Hopefully you'll turn out to be a great painter! We sure need some painters over here.

I was really excited about starting another new project that just "popped" into my head last week. :idea

If it turns out well, I'll share it with you guys. If it doesn't, well... I'll just dig a hole and bury it in my yard.

angelofmusic2112 said:
Good luck with the painting Ironman. Hopefully you'll turn out to be a great painter!

From your lips to God's ears.
I have far too many sculpts accrued now to wait for anyone to have time to get to them all. A few of the more "precious" ones I may still look to get done but I have no choice now but to try. With nearly 100 heads waiting some type of treatment I'd be into the next decade before I could hope painters would be up to that task. With any luck I'll get the hang of it well enough to muddle thru with the lesser heads, and maybe the ones I just can't wait to mount on its body, and who knows? maybe this will be just that relaxing bit of something I need.

Ironman - The painting process is "muddled" to me. I'd suggest you paint gorilla heads if you have any of those for starters. The dark colors in the gorilla skin make them really easy to fake.

I hate human skintones. Those drive me nuts, and just suck up hours of my time.

I'd love to watch someone paint these who excelled. I really believe we'd all paint much better if we could just sit and watch. Someone really should make a head painting video! :cool:

I know there have been. I'll have to search around and see what I can dig up.

Why does Brents head look so tiny compared to his hands? Did you photoshop that picture?

JESS/ANG - I think it's the puffy robe that is throwing off the head to hand ratio. Brent's head is sitting precariously on top of the neck peg. I took the picture as a joke which shows you what a nerd I am. A dancing Chewie doesn't help my case. :chew

IM - That's a great story idea! I luv it. Stix what do you think?

If I could find the perfect tone for chimpanzee skin...I'd be happy, Angel. That's why my Mego projects are on hold...can't find the correct skin tone I am after...

My sister came by today. She said she was looking at my stuff and was surprised that the photograph looked better. I could have just about died. I thought she was talking about Cornelius's suit, but she said it was Zira's fruitshake. Whew. I was getting ready to be devastated. She said C's suit was great.

I could have sworn today was Friday. It's been a long week already. I'm ready for the weekend! Bring it on!!

The hair looks allright, but I think that it would take some imagination to make this sculpt into a Virdon. Maybe make his eyes brown for starters. Any suggestions or is this a lost cause?:duh

I was watching Behind Planet of the Apes again (just because it's on...) and I just noticed that the TV Zaius had worn the Armageddon Outfit! Never noticed that before! (Not that we need anymore screenshots of the Armageddon Outfit because that project is done....). I can't remember which episode it was though, it was too quick.

Kfog, I think the hair would need to be redone, and the jowls totally redone...but he could pass...wish I had a screenshot of Virdon at hand, but I'm too lazy to go upstairs to get them. And I believe that Virdon had a cleft chin, so that part would need to be redone.

The hair looks allright, but I think that it would take some imagination to make this sculpt into a Virdon. Maybe make his eyes brown for starters. Any suggestions or is this a lost cause?:duh

KFOG - That might be a tough one to turn into Virdon.

JESS - In the pilot episode Zaius wore the Armageddon outfit. He wears it at the trial.

Kfog, I don't see Virdon in there. I believe thats the ACI sculpt intended to be the SPR Barry Pepper character. I still think the Revell Kick-o-Mania Benjamin Lauth or Dragon's Laars makes the best Virdon.
Jess, your pix are great! I felt like I was actually out on a picnic with Cornelius and Zira.
How goes the Dr. Shrinker (Hey! Anyone rememeber that show?) and Dr. Enlarger projects? Is there actually hope to add the old Mego size sculpts to our 1:6 collections? I know they lack in areas but I, for one, would love to add the POTA apes and Burke/Virdon to my 1:6 community. Hell, if the cost isn't prohibitive, I'd like to add almost all of the Mego's (and LJN's) to my 1:6 sets. Think about it:
The Walton's John Boy as Shad from Battle Beyond the Stars in 1:6!
And adding the likes of TV's
SWAT
Rookies
Emergency
Starsky and Hutch
CHiP's
or Mattel's 9 inch Space:1999 or Mork (ok, ok I like Robin Williams)
Or shrinking some of those mammoth 12" Megos down to useable size?
Ahhh, anyway, back to task.
Sticks, what do you think of my brief plot? I could expand if you want, I have a few ideas. Email me!!
Like jess said, I've got a ton of work ahead and minimal time. Just realized I have to garner up the nerve to drill a bunch of the heads out before I try any painting. I may start the paints on a few "repaints" that are less important and see how it goes. Hell, if I screw it up I could always just make them zombies.
And on the everything worked out alright front:
After returning home yesterday I picked up my accumulated mail. Included therein was a package from Ada Chan containing the properly sized Milla and Sawyer sculpts. Hopefully everything has worked itself out and we can do "business" again.
Till then, Later Apes!!

Hell, if the cost isn't prohibitive, I'd like to add almost all of the Mego's (and LJN's) to my 1:6 sets. Think about it:
The Walton's John Boy as Shad from Battle Beyond the Stars in 1:6!
And adding the likes of TV's
SWAT
Rookies
Emergency
Starsky and Hutch
CHiP's
or Mattel's 9 inch Space:1999 or Mork (ok, ok I like Robin Williams)
Or shrinking some of those mammoth 12" Megos down to useable size?

Ironman - it seems to me that you're in deep! (Real deep.) Forget all the heads you don't have and focus on the 100's that you do have. By the time you paint all of those heads you're going to be a GREAT painter!

KFog - I vote "lost cause" on that sculpt. But it's your call. If you like it, go with it.

Jess - It's hard to believe that there isn't a paint company out there who feels the same as us about the flesh tones. Getting the "right color" is such a chore. I totally agree with you. The flesh tone paints that I'm seeing require so much mixing with another color(s) just to make the tones right. There's a lot of experimentation that occurs when I paint with skin tones. I certainly wish there was a special kit that contained all of the proper skin tone colors. :naughty

Last edited:
Ironman - it seems to me that you're in deep! Forget all the heads you don't have and focus on the 100's you do have. By the time you paint all of those you're going to be a great painter!

KFog - I vote lost cause on that sculpt. But it's your call. If you like it, go with it.

Jess - It's hard to believe that there isn't a paint company out there who feels the same as us about the flesh tones. Getting the "right color" is such a chore. The flesh tone paints that I'm seeing really do require so much mixing with another color(s) to make the tones right. There's a lot of experimentation that occurs when I paint with skin tones. I certainly wish there was a special kit that contained all of the skin tone colors. :naughty

NOOOOOOO!!!
Must have all heads possible!
Years ago, Horizon made vinyl superhero kits. They eventually came out with an acrylic paint set that had proper colors. Incuded was the best "out of the bottle" skin tone I've seen.
Bones is wearing it in this photo:

NOOOOOOO!!!
Must have all heads possible!
Years ago, Horizon made vinyl superhero kits. They eventually came out with an acrylic paint set that had proper colors. Incuded was the best "out of the bottle" skin tone I've seen.
Bones is wearing it in this photo:

I'd love to see a special kit that actually showed a picture (on the box) what the final skin tone would look like. This imaginary kit of mine would have the proper base color and another 2 colors for the skin tone/tints that would then be dry brushed over the base color in the proper sequence. :cool:

Back