Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3rd, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Darthkostis’ point, I don’t know how much work Levi put into working out, but perhaps he wasn’t physically able to tack on the muscle sans steroids, which I’m fairly certain is the standard practice in Hollywood (e.g. Johnson, Cavill, Hardy, etc.). I can’t prove it, just my suspicion. I don’t need these guys to be a bag of boulders, fit and muscular sure, but not the modern, body dismorphia we’re putting on these male actors. Actually, Shang-Chi is a seemingly refreshing nuance in comic book heroes as no one seems to expect him to be any more than fit. Not sure why I’m getting off on this tangent. Not that important.
I'm not expecting them to look like Arnie, but if you're portaying some uber powerful and muscled character, do the work. I don't feel sorry for actors having to work out. It's bloody capeshit, you don't need to be DDL to play it so there's not some enormous pressure on you. If normal people find the time to go to the gym, then I expect the guy/gal getting paid millions to play pretend to put on some substantial muscle mass or cut, depending on what the role demands. I don't need the guy playing Reed Richards to be anything more than fit, but I expect Cyclops to be built.

All fair points -- a million dollar paycheque says you can go to the gym. But steroids shouldn't have to be a part of that regime no matter what the cheque is.

Age makes it harder to put on mass and get shredded, but it depends on other factors like genetic and history -- i.e. if someone has been very fit throughout their 20s and 30s it's generally easier to get back in shape than someone starting with zero muscle memory.

For Hollywood blockbusters you have no excuse really, with the availability of nutritionists, trainers and so on.

Shang Chi sounds like it gets it right in the sense that martial artists aren't usually huge -- they're not bodybuilders. They tend to be lean and cut with a high strength-to-weight ratio.

All fair points -- a million dollar paycheque says you can go to the gym. But steroids shouldn't have to be a part of that regime no matter what the cheque is.

Age makes it harder to put on mass and get shredded, but it depends on other factors like genetic and history -- i.e. if someone has been very fit throughout their 20s and 30s it's generally easier to get back in shape than someone starting with zero muscle memory.

For Hollywood blockbusters you have no excuse really, with the availability of nutritionists, trainers and so on.

Shang Chi sounds like it gets it right in the sense that martial artists aren't usually huge -- they're not bodybuilders. They tend to be lean and cut with a high strength-to-weight ratio.
Oh, I'm not talking about steroids. I'm just saying, choose actors who can pull off the physical aspect as well. It's not like acting in capeflicks is so hard that only a select few could do it.

I've seen pics of the Shang-Chi guy and he's got a proper body. I hope it's natural and they didn't make him get roided.

DvDo-k8XgAANr2r.jpg:large

I still think he looks like a pudgy middle aged guy but I can't say that he didn't put in the work. You can't expect everyone to be Hugh Jackman, but I expect them all to put in enough work to look good. There is a problem with such flicks being released far more frequently and thus not allowing for more time to get in shape, but I doubt anyone who has it in his mind to audition for Captain Britain shows up with a gut. Different characters need different physiques, that's true too. I just find it a silly excuse to go "awwww schucks, I'm paid only mere millions to play pretend, you can't expect me to go to the gym and eat right so that I can bulk up".

LOL no he doesn't.
I meant the face. I don't think it'd be that hard to find a young-ish, more heroic-looking Chinese guy who can act in capeshit and has some martial arts background. He doesn't sell me as being a homage to Bruce Lee like the original Shang-Chi is. He looks like a normal guy, not a superhero.

I didn't think the villagers lived extraordinarily long lives, only Wenwu due to his use of the 10 rings. If that was stated I missed it. They were the protectors of that gate for hundreds of years, but I assumed the duty was passed down from generation to generation.
The villagers didn't appear have any extended lifespan, her sister was pretty old so it's safe to assume they age.

I meant the face. I don't think it'd be that hard to find a young-ish, more heroic-looking Chinese guy who can act in capeshit and has some martial arts background. He doesn't sell me as being a homage to Bruce Lee like the original Shang-Chi is. He looks like a normal guy, not a superhero.
I haven't seen the movie so I'll withold final judgement, but if he looks a bit bland it seems to be more of an issue with his haircut, to be honest. I don't know, I'll watch and see.

I haven't seen the movie so I'll withold final judgement, but if he looks a bit bland it seems to be more of an issue with his haircut, to be honest. I don't know, I'll watch and see.
Oh, I'm not commenting on the flick. I might have a good time when I sit down to watch it on my PC. Ninjas, dragons and Tony Leung have me more interested to check it out than Black Widow had me. He might even be pretty charismatic in the role. I'm just saying, he looks less like "Shang-Chi: The Deadly Hands Of The Master Of Kung-Fu" and more like "Shang The Accounant: Deadly Office Adventures In Boredom". It's like casting Shea Whingham as Old Man Tony Stark instead of someone like Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I like Whingham, he always makes a film a bit better, but he's not MC material. I might change my mind, he might be a good guy and everything, but speaking about face-first impressions, he looks more like your friend at a law firm than a super-duper martial artist. It's like Cavill vs Hoechlin. Hoechlin's not a bad looking guy, he's got his charm from the odd trailer/scene I've seen, but Cavill just screams superhero.

So i’m 2 for 2 for post EG MCU movies that will NOT be joining my complete infinity saga MCU collection.

No need to own BW
No need to own Shang

I’m sure Eternals will make it a triple.

I certainly enjoyed Shang WAY MORE than BW but a repeat viewing is not necessary.

Sorry Marvel.

~$90 mil domestic for the 4 day weekend.

"The movie had already claimed the third highest opening day of the pandemic era with $29.6M (just behind F9‘s $29.9M), but this now officially secures the Master of Martial Arts' live-action debut the biggest Labor Day opening weekend of all-time. Overseas, the movie has amassed $56.2 million for a global total of $146.2 million."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/shan...us-90-million-domestic-haul-a187818#gs.a7f0qv
Get woke, smash the box office?

True, a lot of Chinese people online called him ugly. Now, I wouldn't go that far, but just looking at hm in the trailer, I thought he looked bland, and I was right. He's just bland like Winter Soldier with short hair. Black Panther was kind of bland too, but not Shang Chi bland. They should have given him long hair at least. I don't know, I don't think every hero needs to be good looking, but they should at least have an interesting look, so they stand out a bit. Like a young Jackie Chan, he was kind cute/instantly likable and had tons of personality and charisma. Bruce Lee still the standard for Asian action heroes. He was handsome, cool, and badass. Disney should have just CGI him as Shang Chi.

True, a lot of Chinese people online called him ugly. Now, I wouldn't go that far, but just looking at hm in the trailer, I thought he looked bland, and I was right. He's just bland like Winter Soldier with short hair. Black Panther was kind of bland too, but not Shang Chi bland. They should have given him long hair at least. I don't know, I don't think every hero needs to be good looking, but they should at least have an interesting look, so they stand out a bit. Like a young Jackie Chan, he was kind cute/instantly likable and had tons of personality and charisma. Bruce Lee still the standard for Asian action heroes. He was handsome, cool, and badass. Disney should have just CGI him as Shang Chi.
Bland-Chi

I don’t really understand anyone calling this movie woke. Just because it doesn’t have a straight white male protagonist doesn’t make it woke.

It’s a superhero movie about a dysfunctional family who just happen to be Asian. There are pretty much no “woke” themes in this entire movie.

Falcon & The Winter Soldier on the other hand…

I might change my mind, he might be a good guy and everything, but speaking about face-first impressions, he looks more like your friend at a law firm than a super-duper martial artist.
Okay, you're talking about archetypes. It's just that I've spent decades in martial arts gyms, and for every guy that looks like a super-duper martial artist there are ten that look like 'your friend at a law firm' who will break a mofo in half like it ain't no thang. :LOL:

Okay, you're talking about archetypes. It's just that I've spent decades in martial arts gyms, and for every guy that looks like a super-duper martial artist there are ten that look like 'your friend at a law firm' who will break a mofo in half like it ain't no thang. :LOL:
While I agree with their critique I think they wanted a relatable protagonist.

Yeah, and why not do something a little different? I don't want *all* superheroes to look like accountants but sure, mix it up a bit. I'm more concerned with his acting.

RDJ *is* Tony Stark. I don't expect every MCU actor to inhabit the role with such uncanny affinity, but even in a popcorn flick, acting matters.

See, that's the woke mentality. Reminds me of that fat superhero chick Marvel created recently and all these fat wannabe models. People that shouldn't be models modeling because unhealthy life styles are beautiful and should be celebrated. 😆 Even in wrestling, now you have a bunch of short skinny guys playing wrestler. Nah, the whole point is for those people to be larger than life, to inspire regular people to be better than their crappy selves. Imagine if Michael Jordan was average...who wants to be like that Mike? Nobody. When I used to watch Sly or Arnold, I wasn't thinking, man, I wish they looked like me. Why, so they suck too? No thanks. The truth is, people don't want their heroes to be relatable. They want them to be better in every way if possible.

As for Bland Chi, at least he does cool stuff when he's got the rings. Hopefully he gets a better costume and image in future films.

See, that's the woke mentality. Reminds me of that fat superhero chick Marvel created recently and all these fat wannabe models. People that shouldn't be models modeling because unhealthy life styles are beautiful and should be celebrated. 😆 Even in wrestling, now you have a bunch of short skinny guys playing wrestler. Nah, the whole point is for those people to be larger than life, to inspire regular people to be better than their crappy selves. Imagine if Michael Jordan was average...who wants to be like that Mike? Nobody. When I used to watch Sly or Arnold, I wasn't thinking, man, I wish they looked like me. Why, so they suck too? No thanks. The truth is, people don't want their heroes to be relatable. They want them to be better in every way if possible.

As for Bland Chi, at least he does cool stuff when he's got the rings. Hopefully he gets a better costume and image in future films.
:exactly: :lecture :exactly:

But his character needed to be a valet parker regular guy not Bruce Lee from the first frame so I understand their decisions.

But you are 100% right….

4DFF6FC2-570B-4558-8A90-700943656BD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back