Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it really took no time at all for you all to go FROM -
"They are crazy with this new price levels, no way I am buying this" - TO
"Price is fine, I expected it to cost more, instant buy!"
Just one figure away, and we are all ok with the new prices. I remember when I was buying Tama C3PO a year and a half ago, paying 230$ for it thinking I am crazy, but somehow justifing it with diecast and exclusivity. Now, inferior plastic one costs the same. Happy with my Tama, keeping it for sure.

Ex would have been hard to turn down if they'd have included the full broken arm. With current prices only going up, it feels even cheaper to only get half of an ex.

Well, I think this is the 1/6 equivalent of the Topps 3PO card.:lol Looking pretty awesome in the new pics!

I will say, looking at the sliding/pivoting elbow articulation in the hi-res pic, that pivot point is going to be VERY fragile and prone to breakage. Huge pressure on an area that's only a few mm's wide. Especially given 3PO will be very weathered. SSC IG-88 had issues with clogged articulation due to weathering (leg extensions especially.)

The articulated fingers were a genius idea - who thought you could get subtly of poses from 3PO's fingers? Nice call SSC.:clap

The wires on the abdomen do look more "painted on" like the Hasbro, but it looks nicer on the black rubber. However, how nice the paint app will be on the production piece is anyone's guess. The ones we see are hand painted by a master painter.

This whole figure is an open question of Proto vs. production piece - weathering, wires, overall "sheen." All need to be just right or it's going to look like a teenager's MPC model paint-up.

I see this as falling in the $220-240 range (which would make it easily over $100 cheaper than Tama's original RRP, but about what the Tama can be had for these days,) but it's a hard one to pick because it's unique.

^^ Beginning to think this guy is claivoyant - writing this nearly a week ago.:lol

But not sure what people were thinking. Given everything, $230 is about right, if maybe $30 over the $199 this would have been in the "old" pricing scale. 2 1/2 years ago the similarly complex IG-88 was $175.

The head is round! :lol

Yeah, head is not looking great in several ways - it's the one quite noticeable problem with this.

One thing I'm glad to see if how they did the glowing eyes. The way its broken up or diffused looks really nice.

The gold looks warmer too in some of those shots -- which is a good thing -- although its likely the lighting.

The eyes are a total mystery - in the new pics they are totally different to the way they appear in the video of a few days ago. They do look sort of photoshopped, but hard to say. Why would they be so different? Maybe the bland look in the video is an unfinished look and they've photoshopped to illustrate the difference. This thing doesn't ship for another year, so maybe it wasn't ready in time.

I was hoping to display 3PO with the Dejarik Holochess Set. Any idea if he will be articulated enough in the knees to be placed in a sitting position?

Yeah, I wonder if they've taken the SSC landspeeder into account - so he can sit in some way. Extent of leg/hip articulation is unknown on this guy at this point.

Ex would have been hard to turn down if they'd have included the full broken arm. With current prices only going up, it feels even cheaper to only get half of an ex.

Yeah, not sure how you display 3PO with wires shoulder without the severed arm. It's not like he appears in multiple scenes like that - he appears in one scene and the severed arm is visible the whole time. They really should have included it.

3PO holding his own damaged arm is about the only pose that would make the damaged shoulder worth it. Missed opportunity, that.

Considering this is the Threepio reveal, very little discussion at this point. Surprised -- only 3 pages in 4 hours.

:dunno Not a sexy centerpiece figure, but also has to be quite expensive. Heroes and villains get people's temperature up - 3PO is neither.

:dunno Not a sexy centerpiece figure, but also has to be quite expensive. Heroes and villains get people's temperature up - 3PO is neither.

There you go with that centerpiece argument again. :)

I'd say he's a hero. If you're going to display the "heroes" from Star Wars OT you couldn't leave out threepio. That would be weird. But I agree, he's not sexy.

Luke
Leia
Han
Chewie
R2
3PO
Ben

If you do not have at least these, then you do not have the STAR WARS heroes.
Ben

At least we are getting articulated fingers. Apparently it can help convey messages to the price hike complaining community

2171_press11.jpg

:monkey1

Price blows. R2 was how much again?

Exclusive is useless.

Painted Ab wiring is lame.

Eyes aren't great.

Sculpt is a bit odd.

Overall looks great though. I wish I was passing, but I'm a sucker for this non-sexy centrepiece figure :)

I'd say he's a hero. If you're going to display the "heroes" from Star Wars OT you couldn't leave out threepio. That would be weird. But I agree, he's not sexy.

Luke
Leia
Han
Chewie
R2
3PO
Ben

If you do not have at least these, then you do not have the STAR WARS heroes.
Ben

All of these are going to look great together.

Can't say i'm a photoshop artist but couldn't resist it. When shuffling thru the preview pics, i even had to look at this one twice as i thought 3PO was actually giving me the middle finger :p

Eyes are a mystery at this point.

Non-lit from video, lit-up from video, and from latest pics:

Note the pupil "dot" is off center in latest pics, and that the pattern of colors in the eyes are the exact same in every new pic - meaning it is simply a flat, translucent photo-slide put into the eye and backlit, not anything sculpted or with depth. Maybe it'll look fine from a distance. Wonder why they didn't use the photo-slide for the video.

9q9rbn.png

The two "piston" end joints are looking very fragile - both ends have a pivot and take a lot of strain as that arm is moved, huge pressure on a presumably plastic joint on a few mm's wide..

Threepio also has quite a number of "iconic" arm poses, so this fig is not as set-and-forget as some others are. It's also a fig that will be fun to pose, so not sure how many QC issues there will be in this area.

2hgelnp.png

Having had an issue with a similar joint while setting up my Probe droïd, i'm also worried by those arm joints. If the plastic around there ever start sticking over time, we're in trouble.

So...a figure with years of development, unique tooling and engineering and significant deco is $10 less than the guy in the orange jumpsuit....

I wouldn't have called that one....

I was hoping to display 3PO with the Dejarik Holochess Set. Any idea if he will be articulated enough in the knees to be placed in a sitting position?
Yeah, I wonder if they've taken the SSC landspeeder into account - so he can sit in some way. Extent of leg/hip articulation is unknown on this guy at this point.
Unless his legs can be pulled down and extended somehow, there is no way 3PO can be posed sitting. Just the like the real costume. The design simply doesn't allow for it. I don't get how people can look at the top of 3PO's legs and visualize it being able to accommodate sitting. The top of the leg is like a mm away from the front of the pelvis.

The wires on the abdomen do look more "painted on" like the Hasbro, but it looks nicer on the black rubber. However, how nice the paint app will be on the production piece is anyone's guess. The ones we see are hand painted by a master painter.
That would be my big worry. On the Medicoms, the paint press or whatever they used didn't always sync up with the molded wiring on their 3POs, so it looked a real mess at times. Hope SSC is able to keep a laser-like focus on that, as it could really ruin the figure if there is any paint slop or if the application is not aligned with the molding 100%.

So...a figure with years of development, unique tooling and engineering and significant deco is $10 less than the guy in the orange jumpsuit....

I wouldn't have called that one....
It's puzzling. I guess they could get re-use out of 3PO by doing K-3PO, E-3PO or TC-14, but how many collectors would shell out $230.00 for a variant 3PO? I'd be kinda tempted by K-3PO, but it'd be an easy figure to live without, too.

Last edited:
Back