Sideshow 1:6 Lando as Skiff Guard Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t remember the last Sideshow figure that’s been up for preorder for this long. Haven’t both of the Mythos figures gone up for preorder and shipped since this was shown?

This Lando went up late last year I believe. It was previewed long before, but it took a long time to go up for pre-order. The Mythos figures were available to pre-order before this one.

This Lando went up late last year I believe. It was previewed long before, but it took a long time to go up for pre-order. The Mythos figures were available to pre-order before this one.

Yep, you’re right. Mythos Ben a year earlier. Boba about 6 months earlier. There’s still hope.

Still find it strange that Sideshow arent pushing this guy at all, seems like he has been forgotten about. He wasnt at the previous con at all and so far he hasnt been shown yet for this one.

Sideshow missed out on a golden opportunity by waiting so long to put up the pre-order for this one. If they had put it up shortly after it was originally displayed I probably would have caved since at the time there wasn’t another Lando. Now with the Hot Toys version though I see no need for this one. Especially with the sculpt looking like it does. Maybe if it gets discounted I’ll get it.

Still find it strange that Sideshow arent pushing this guy at all, seems like he has been forgotten about. He wasnt at the previous con at all and so far he hasnt been shown yet for this one.

They treated their own releases quite strangely in the final year or two they had the 1/6 SW license - their Luke Jedi DX came out of nowhere and dropped in the midst of them selling various figures of the same Luke outfits from HT, they simultaneously announced and offered for sale/ship a V.2 Yoda (that had never even been previewed,) and this Lando Skiff was shown when Jabba was revealed but then disappeared for close to 18 months.

So now there's a HT Lando which many will choose due to a superior sculpt (and yeah, this SSC Lando sculpt really was yet another major disappointment.) I like the ROTJ outfit a lot more but I'm assuming to most fans the ESB look is far more iconic.

Before those fans might have said "well there's no high-end 1/6 Lando available so I'll go with the SSC ROTJ figure" but now there's a HT Lando. And Lando's not like Luke where a lot of fans want ANH, ESB and ROTJ outfits. I love Lando and would buy any 1/6 version of him but for most I imagine they'd only want the one.

I've got this one on PO but not the Hot Toys. While I completely acknowledge the HT has a better head sculpt (although it's one of their worst Star Wars head sculpts and a regression to the Farmboy Luke/ANH Han Solo levels of (in)accuracy - Juando Calrissian?), helmeted this one looks great (much like Rogue Squadron Luke) and the outfit is far more visually interesting. If I only have one Billy Dee Lando it'll be Jabba's Palace. Now HT could tempt me with a Donald Glover Lando...

I've got this one on PO but not the Hot Toys. While I completely acknowledge the HT has a better head sculpt (although it's one of their worst Star Wars head sculpts and a regression to the Farmboy Luke/ANH Han Solo levels of (in)accuracy - Juando Calrissian?), helmeted this one looks great (much like Rogue Squadron Luke) and the outfit is far more visually interesting. If I only have one Billy Dee Lando it'll be Jabba's Palace. Now HT could tempt me with a Donald Glover Lando...

Yeah the HT Lando head does look as much like a random Puerto Rican youth from 1970s New York as it does BDW.:lol

I find that HT's unbelievably good paint apps and level of sculpt detail throws off people's reluctance to accept heads. The old Ben was the classic example of that - to me it looked like a generic old bearded man (that was also slightly Asian) but due to the incredible paint apps and level of sculpt detail many seemed to like it far more than it deserved. The same can be said of ANH Han and Luke.

All that being said, SSC heads generally had neither great paint apps nor sculpt detail and to me this Lando Skiff sculpt lacked the advantage that many SSC SW sculpts historically had over HT sculpts - better core likeness and overall proportions. Unlike the old SSC Lando (which, while oversized and having poor sculpt detail and meh paint, had a GREAT likeness) this new head to me misses the likeness mark, and will likely have lackluster apps and detailing.

Yeah the HT Lando head does look as much like a random Puerto Rican youth from 1970s New York as it does BDW.:lol

I find that HT's unbelievably good paint apps and level of sculpt detail throws off people's reluctance to accept heads. The old Ben was the classic example of that - to me it looked like a generic old bearded man (that was also slightly Asian) but due to the incredible paint apps and level of sculpt detail many seemed to like it far more than it deserved. The same can be said of ANH Han and Luke.

All that being said, SSC heads generally had neither great paint apps nor sculpt detail and to me this Lando Skiff sculpt lacked the advantage that many SSC SW sculpts historically had over HT sculpts - better core likeness and overall proportions. Unlike the old SSC Lando (which, while oversized and having poor sculpt detail and meh paint, had a GREAT likeness) this new head to me misses the likeness mark, and will likely have lackluster apps and detailing.

Totally agree on all points. Helmet on it totally looks like Lando from Jabba's Palace with both the jawline and the rest of the details thrown into the shadow of that awesome helmet. But if you want the helmet off... yikes.

I'm tempted by the SS a bit more too, but don't have either on order. My ultimate Leia from ROTJ would be Boushh so I think this Lando would serve as a pretty cool companion piece.

Totally agree on all points. Helmet on it totally looks like Lando from Jabba's Palace with both the jawline and the rest of the details thrown into the shadow of that awesome helmet. But if you want the helmet off... yikes.

Even if it's helmet-on only, I'd still consider grabbing a HT Lando head when it becomes available - unfortunately you can actually see more of Lando's face in the skiff helmet than I had assumed (how much will depend on how the face screen is glued into the helmet.)

Obviously detolf-style harsher lighting from above helps shadow it out but in normal daylight and softer and more direct display lighting (more like the way it is in the pics below, though it's hard to show) at times I can see a fair amount of his face (esp.eyes/nose and mouth/stache - most of the middle part) is clearly visible.

The jury is still out on SSC Lando obviously but a number of even more recent Sideshow heads have had problems with very weak eye paint apps and noticeably off skin tone color. Don't assume you won't see a sizable amount of the face with helmet on.

50429035113_2352e56203_h.jpg

That looks awesome Tali. I have both the Sideshow Skiff Lando and HT Bespin Lando on order. Now it?s just a question of which will get here first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I still think it works really well with the helmet on, and can't imagine wanting to display it without anyway. But it would be cool to at least recreate the pose where he reveals himself to the audience by pulling the chin piece down.

If it wasn't so oversized, I'd love to try repainting and using the original Sideshow Lando head for this figure.

Being in Europe and rarely using Sideshow for Hot Toys releases I'm thinking what can I use my Reward points on. This comes to mind immediately as it is of course from Sideshow themselves.

For me I would always have him helmeted, as it's an iconic look that way. Everyone remembers him with that helmet.

I'm sure the leather work and clothing will be fine. SS typically do that better than HT. And there is a significant amount of leatherwork. Surely the sandals must be plastic though.

lando-calrissian-skiff-guard-version_star-wars_gallery_5e261e6fcbe53-3.jpg

lando-calrissian-skiff-guard-version_star-wars_gallery_5e261e8407bbd.jpg

lando-calrissian-skiff-guard-version_star-wars_gallery_5e261e844ab4e.jpg

lando-calrissian-skiff-guard-version_star-wars_gallery_5e261e7202ca1.jpg

I don’t know if I agree that Sideshow is better at clothing. They maybe do better with leather items like belts and whatnot, although I normally don’t have the problem with that type of stuff from Hot Toys like most others.

There are a lot of armor pieces connected with clothing on this. Hopefully not too clunky to futz with, which can be one of the huge frustrations with Sideshow figures (Jango Fett comes to mind). HT is usually tighter in that regard but more limiting.

Being in Europe and rarely using Sideshow for Hot Toys releases I'm thinking what can I use my Reward points on. This comes to mind immediately as it is of course from Sideshow themselves.

For me I would always have him helmeted, as it's an iconic look that way. Everyone remembers him with that helmet.

I'm sure the leather work and clothing will be fine. SS typically do that better than HT. And there is a significant amount of leatherwork. Surely the sandals must be plastic though.

Yup! I've had HT leather bits deteriorate on me. But I've been working on the belts/holster for SS Daredevil Shadowland figure and those things have taken a beating and are still in good shape.

I don’t know if I agree that Sideshow is better at clothing. They maybe do better with leather items like belts and whatnot, although I normally don’t have the problem with that type of stuff from Hot Toys like most others.

I was definitely talking more about the leatherwork from SS. For me the Jawas are a perfect example. The Sideshow leather accessories are way better than Hot Toys. The brown sack material is perhaps debatable for some, but in my opinion the Hot Toys Jawas are not better.

I think someone already mentioned this, but why don't Sideshow have this out on display for their NYCC ??

Guess they feel intimidated putting their single figure next to Hot Toys armada of new Star Wars figures.

Back