Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
c7048e7e33cca125e4457260a5dcabd7.jpg

He's on the Fed Ex delivery truck!

If only I didn't cancel and re-order with the coupon I'd be getting it a week earlier.:(

I just cancelled my ex.plus a few other PO.
Saving for C7.Aussie dollar is farrrrrrrked against the greenback atm.
I hope a fellow freak gets OFF the excl waitlist now.

I'm gonna keep mine but likely cancel Star Lord and get him locally. It won't be long until the lower dollar hits new preorders though.

8b0dce3aaacb51ed78d6ec1066bf703e.jpg

300fa1f2e271bec2445c3f6403861222.jpg

4eb2b967ad6e96e7083bc6c0c5748821.jpg

624a0f6797aeac1730c92ecd1451df1e.jpg

ae097b4f289c3e0671d5fda8f40cd580.jpg

Initial impressions are that he is very light.

The seems on the dome are slight but they are visible but I don't care.

I can't quite figure out how to get the dome off to access the lights but I can figure that out later because at the moment I'm in work and took this pics on my break.

I have to say overall I'm well impressed.

1405dab8a734d139eb7cc443d6f489e5.jpg

e89185a0845c09bab4ec7d4d2837c5f7.jpg

e0b9156b9a9f0fc43af8e253e276eeac.jpg

39f7b3910527b8ae07c23ee4c5f80ece.jpg

No weathering inside the panels.

Panels are quite loose and flap open very easily but that's being super picky.

Also my left foot is a little looser than I would like.

I will get shots with the tamashi 3P0 when I get home in about 3 hrs.

Any pic requests feel free to ask and I'll try to help out.

Thanks for taking the time to post these photos. My initial impression is that the build quality does appear quite delicate, much like the Probe Droid, which does nothing to affect my enjoyment of a piece and probably helps keep Sideshow's costs down.

The paint and weathering also reminds me of the Probe Droid in that moving from prototype to production we seem to have lost some depth and the dings and dents appear very rudimentary here and there. Having been working on weathering my own custom Marmits for months on and off, I know how much time and how many paint applications it takes to achieve depth and layering, so it isn't surprising they can't achieve that in mass production for the price.

The seam is disappointing but not as bad as it could be. I doubt it'll be that visible at normal viewing distance.

If there's one thing that hurts almost any 1/6 collectible it's that silver paint they use...very difficult to use that for a metallic effect. I remember seeing that treatment on Iron Man Mark VII and Hot Toys does not pull it off any better than Sideshow...it's a materials/application limitation that renders even the highest quality collectible more "toy"-like.

Having said all that, I think the droid looks very, very good. I can't imagine not enjoying it.

I recently decided to drastically edit down what I want for my Star Wars collection because the property is so rich I could fill shelves with it but maintain that I want a small collection...so I'd considered cancelling R2...but I think I need to see this droid in-hand and make a decision after-the-fact.

May cost me a few bucks but I can't see its equal anywhere or any time soon so it's worth experiencing in-hand before I decide, I think.

You mentioned the panels being loose. Are they not held by magnets to keep them closed?

You mentioned the panels being loose. Are they not held by magnets to keep them closed?
As far as I could tell in the 10 mins I had on my break the panels just seem to "sit" in place. The magnet on the saber is used to open them because you would struggle to use your fingernail to do it.

Does anyone have movie reference stills for the chipped paint on the main eye? I just did the six movie marathon these past two weeks and never noticed it.

Is the eye distracting to you?

Back