Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance you can try posing the middle leg a little more recessed like this:

R2d2.jpg
It kinda has to come all the way down to lock into place but here it is recessed.

1b95f7e2515d8a1f60363cbb878a8a10.jpg

That's the money shot right there!!! WHooo hoo!!

As for the complaints about the light heft to R2, the Probe was the same way. I understand how that feels. There's something about weight that makes us think quality.

Jesus. You slate me for whining and then basically agree with me.

That's the money shot right there!!! WHooo hoo!!

As for the complaints about the light heft to R2, the Probe was the same way. I understand how that feels. There's something about weight that makes us think quality.

Agreed... he looks great next to the Tamashii figure; gotta say Sideshow earned my $150 on this one :lecture And I can remember how much the Medicom figures were, but I believe both R2's were more and came out a years ago :lol

And weight is an issue for some... but I just come to expect that plastic is light, but usually durable and looks better than the alternatives and costs less; win-win :lecture

EDIT: Found the price, the original R2 from 2010 was $200 and the re-release with sound was $220. C-3PO was $200 and $244 respectively.

WTF were they thinking with that middle leg? :slap Someone else mentioned it a week or more back and now I can't help but see how wrong it looks when fully extended. Even Hasbro got it closer.

It kinda has to come all the way down to lock into place but here it is recessed.

1b95f7e2515d8a1f60363cbb878a8a10.jpg

Thanks for the pics j14. That shows really well why I called it a POTF2 style paint job - I can see what they were trying to do, making it look weathered and all, but I just don't think its been successful. I would have preferred a white R2 rather than one with sections covered in grey wash.

The repaints will make this guy sing. I also thought they should do a version based on the Yavin medal ceremony, whiter than white.

Off-topic editorial here, but all the complaints that CB didn't post pics and no-one's repped j14 for taking time to do so? *shakes head at fellow premies*

Hey J14, have you worked out how to take the top off yet? Are you still turning the dome round and round and round and wondering how much pressure to use in case you break it? :)

EDIT: just seen that you have.

When R2 is standing up straight or leaning forward (i.e. on two legs) the blue horizontal tabs have a tendency to open.

Got to say, I find the blue paint too dark on the Sideshow version - I'm not saying it isn't accurate but I always remember it as a brighter blue.

I'm assuming it's the best they can do when using plastics in place of metal. The light is gonna reflect differently.... But yeah, I agree.

I can see what they were trying to do, making it look weathered and all, but I just don't think its been successful. I would have preferred a white R2 rather than one with sections covered in grey wash.
The repaints will make this guy sing. I also thought they should do a version based on the Yavin medal ceremony, whiter than white.

IMO, the weathering isn't the problem. It's the base paints. The white (or lack of it), silver and blue. Without the weathering this would still use the same base and would have ended up looking much much worse. For a clean version it needs to have white paint, you can't rely on the color of the plastic.

This R2 wasn't for me, but he looks good next to the Bandai 3PO. I thought there was a lot of good things about him; a lot of ambition went into this figure, but I just couldn't get over the lightness of it. The fragile 'feel' of it makes me wonder what the point is of all the little doors and compartments - kind of like PERS, is there any point to them if you're too scared to open them? It'll be interesting to see how he holds up to repeated handling and posing over the next few months, obviously I hope I was wrong and he turns out to be more durable than he appeared.

IMO, the weathering isn't the problem. It's the base paints. The white (or lack of it), silver and blue. Without the weathering this would still use the same base and would have ended up looking much much worse. For a clean version it needs to have white paint, you can't rely on the color of the plastic.

That is a really good point, I didn't think about it being white i.e. off-white plastic. But realistically would any company paint it unless it was die-cast? HT Vader prototype doesn't look painted black so far.

Maybe this is one real strength that die-cast has, it forces companies to paint armoured/ robot figures.

I guess if the doors really do become a problem I can just glue them shut. I doubt I'll ever display him with one of them open, probably just use the sensorscope :lol

Again, for $150, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing here.

Back