Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does he come with a new stand, it looks like some of the pictures have the stand where the holding parts come under his crotch......

Nah, Same stand. It does require a little extra work should you want to pose him using the stand though, due to the back belt canister. It's not that it's a problem, but any space between the Stormtrooper and the stand is gone limiting some of the pose-ability..... Though I'd rather not use the thing at all.:rolleyes:

As a Marmit owner I can say SSC is superior in almost every way. I'm a happy collector right now.:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew

My, my, that is quite the comment. Having a marmit myself, i can say there are aspects to the SS that I absolutely prefer (belt, helmet being examples), but WOW!!!!

what makes this a great figure is the price for what you get and after you make the changes you want .... witch also make it fun ... this is a great figure

My, my, that is quite the comment. Having a marmit myself, i can say there are aspects to the SS that I absolutely prefer (belt, helmet being examples), but WOW!!!!

And the body, lets not forget the body.

BTW, what paint are you guys using to fix the "asian" eyes? or should I say white color paint are you guys using.

Last edited:
Nah, Same stand. It does require a little extra work should you want to pose him using the stand though, due to the back belt canister. It's not that it's a problem, but any space between the Stormtrooper and the stand is gone limiting some of the pose-ability..... Though I'd rather not use the thing at all.:rolleyes:

Actually, if he's referring to the stand in JustinLuck's posts, that is, in fact a HotToys stand the likes of which come with the TDK Batman, with the dual underhooks that support the figure at the groin vs. the middle back.

Not really. I own a couple Marmits myself, and honestly, the sheer amount of work I had to put into them, which was substantial, upto and including an entirely new base body, is what makes them look good. It's not really fair to compare customized Marmits to Sideshow's "out of the box" figure. I've been sitting here reading for days now, all the crap from people who own the Marmits completely ignoring just how much work is needed on said Marmits to get them to look remotely good. You wanna compare guys, be fair. Do all the mods to Sideshows, THEN compare the two. But don't compare a figure that's straight out of box to a friggin' custom that took hours, if not a couple days, to get looking right. :banghead :banghead :banghead

And here I thought the medicommunists were jerks. :huh

Last edited:
Out of the box, this is a great figure. After fixing the chest armor and adjusting the neck, it looks damn near perfect to me. This is definitely one of the best SW 1:6 figures produced. :chew

And here I thought the medicommunists were jerks. :huh

You have such a way with words...
Is it possible for you to express yourself without being offensive or obtuse?

Having said that, I fully agree with your assessment that it is absolutely unfair to compare a highly customized figure with a straight out of the box figure. Unless you compare only details, e.g. materilas used, proportions of armour pieces and such. But complete figures, no.

I to agree that the sideshow trooper is overall the best.I have the marmits,medicom,hasbro and everything taken in consideration the sideshow trooper wins by a landslide.I can live with the minor imperfections,but like most I will customize him and make him perfect.like I said before this little guy is so close to being a shrunk down real trooper outfit that it is unreal.and under $100.00 bucks.

yup. i love mine as-is. i pulled the belt down to reveal more of the ab armor and i think that helps to not make the chest plate seem so wide. i decided not to risk heating mine. sideshow's biggest mistake on these was slapping an edition size on them. they could make millions if they would have them made to order for years. i would have continued to pick them up every so often when i had extra cash laying around until i had a few dozen on the shelf. and its not like they are difficult to build. its just loose armor castings that are slipped over a body suit. sideshow really could have cashed in.

Those of you who have put the chest-armor in hot water how much of it did you put in? Just the lower part of the armor that need bending or the whole thing?

i wanna know if the heat and bending of the chest plate is a permanent fix. my gandalf staff was really warped bad and i did the heat and cool trick which worked great, but after a month it slowly warped back into it's previous state.

Those of you who have put the chest-armor in hot water how much of it did you put in? Just the lower part of the armor that need bending or the whole thing?

Submerged it up to the "pecs" in near-boiling water for 30 seconds. Bent the sides to where I wanted them, held it for a few seconds, then ran it under cold water (while still applying pressure to the sides).

I'm squeamish about such things and it worked like a charm.

The hair dryer method couldn't be easier. You guys really have nothing to be afraid of. If you somehow bend it the wrong way or too much, you can always reheat and bend it back. I heated mine up many times to get it just right and I used A LOT of force. The plastic never came close to breaking. Just be prepared to have some sore thumbs afterward. ;)

Sean, were you able to get the right handed finger on the trigger yet? I read that you were having problems with this earlier.

24mc6iw.jpg

Last edited:
i wanna know if the heat and bending of the chest plate is a permanent fix. my gandalf staff was really warped bad and i did the heat and cool trick which worked great, but after a month it slowly warped back into it's previous state.

I have Gandalf as well, and while I've never tried to fix the staff, the chest armor is a totally different material. I'd say the possibility of it keeping it's shape is good.

Great shots, Sean. Too many good ones to repost, but this one jumps out at me.

Did you do any armor fixes yet?

Didn't do anything to mine other than futz the position of some of the pieces on the figure. I'm really not bothered by the chest piece, I think the way he looks right now has a nice build to him, makes him look imposing. Might not be film accurrate, but where I get mileage out of my figures beyond just throwing him on the shelf, it's a minor off point that in a way favors my uses for the figure so I'm going to leave that. Might add black paint on the front of the helmet in the identified locations but I don't think it looks too bad in my images from the factory either.

Sean, were you able to get the right handed finger on the trigger yet? I read that you were having problems with this earlier.

Yes, thanks for thinking of me Justin. After hearing folks saying they had success, I persisted and found with slow, caring finess I could ease the gun and finger into place. I have to use caution though or else I fear I might break off the trigger.

sideshow's biggest mistake on these was slapping an edition size on them. they could make millions if they would have them made to order for years. i would have continued to pick them up every so often when i had extra cash laying around until i had a few dozen on the shelf.

I am sure a lot of people would have done the same thing. I know I would like to pick up a couple more down the road... I guess there is always ebay.

The hair dryer method couldn't be easier. You guys really have nothing to be afraid of. If you somehow bend it the wrong way or too much, you can always reheat and bend it back. I heated mine up many times to get it just right and I used A LOT of force. The plastic never came close to breaking. Just be prepared to have some sore thumbs afterward. ;)

24mc6iw.jpg

Hey justin, I'm applying the future to my stormie now, got any tips, how many coats do you really need to apply:confused:

Hey Sean, I notice if I rotate the handle of the blaster in the hand with the extended finger, the finger will slide over the trigger without any tension. But what is really bugging me is that the black paint on the glove has already worn off (exposing white marks) even though I am very gentle with it. Sideshow really needs to use the soft black plastic they used with Jedi Luke.

Hey justin, I'm applying the future to my stormie now, got any tips, how many coats do you really need to apply:confused:

One coat should be enough. But you can add additional coats later if you like. I would first wash the armor in a bowl with water and dish soap, just to remove all the oils and dust. Then dry the pieces with a paper towel. I notice mine came with a few gray colored scratches on the plastic that I can't remove, but I see this as adding to the authenticity.;) The onscreen counterparts weren't perfect either. Practice using the Future on a piece of plastic you don't care about, like a nude Buck, so you can get a feel for the product and its drying time. My best advice for applying the future is to use smooth, even paced strokes. You can overlap the strokes, but try to not to keep going back to the same spot while it is drying. You will want to keep any eye out for any tiny lint hairs (dark blue or black) that land on the armor while its wet. Gently remove them with the brush or your fingernail before the Future dries. Then go back over the area with a slightly damp brush to smooth the surface out. Let the pieces dry, standing on their edges. The Future should level out quite evenly. If you miss any spots, you can always go back with a second coat after the first coat is dry. The Future holds up really well. I used the hairdryer trick AFTER I used Future and the gloss on the chest piece still looks fine.

well i caved and did the heat and bend to the chest plate. worked pretty good but i may need to velco it down now. what are you guys using for that?

I found the velcro in the sewing section at Walmart. I bought white velcro with an adhesive backing for the armor and black velcro made for sewing on (no adhesive) to bridge the two white pieces. I cut all the velcro to custom to fit on and between the armor.

Back