Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I respect your opinion, and since you would like "facts" here are a few:

1. I have seen the coat multiple times in person, and even handled the coat on several occasions. Once in 1994, 2001, 2006 most recently in 2010. The color has always been the same.
2. LFL Archives has stated on numerous occasions that the jacket (which was custom made) has always been brown from first day on set to end of production
3. LFL Books in conjunction with Brandon Alinger just released a book detailing the costumes of the original trilogy......in that book the jacket is featured full spread with the same information regarding its color, and the reason that the jacket appears blue on screen. As someone who works in the industry you understand gel lighting and its affects on wardrobe.
4. Per Phil Tippet himself.........to his knowledge the coat was made in blue to match the dailies that were being used to assist the stop motion process.
5. There is NO blue dye in the seams of the jacket, and there are no indications of the jacket having been any other color than brown in person.
6. LFL ESB wardrobe records clearly marked Han Solo's jacket as brown.

Now these are indeed "facts" and are not personal interpretations of any fans. If this is not enough fact then no amount will be.

I am not trying to convince you in anyway, but you asked for facts. Have you actually seen the jacket in person? If so then there would be no confusion as to what color it was made from/ and still is.

I'd like to see some sources for that info. Thanks. Yes I understand color gels and their effect on what's exposed, I also know they are used on interior lighting not external shots in natural light when the coat is blue? And you've handled the coat several times? Wow? Where?

There is blue residue on the coat, it can be seen in the stitching and seam edges.
I've not read any official statement from Tippet on the subject, would love to read that? Could you link?

Last edited:
I respect your opinion, and since you would like "facts" here are a few:

1. I have seen the coat multiple times in person, and even handled the coat on several occasions. Once in 1994, 2001, 2006 most recently in 2010. The color has always been the same.
2. LFL Archives has stated on numerous occasions that the jacket (which was custom made) has always been brown from first day on set to end of production
3. LFL Books in conjunction with Brandon Alinger just released a book detailing the costumes of the original trilogy......in that book the jacket is featured full spread with the same information regarding its color, and the reason that the jacket appears blue on screen. As someone who works in the industry you understand gel lighting and its affects on wardrobe.
4. Per Phil Tippet himself.........to his knowledge the coat was made in blue to match the dailies that were being used to assist the stop motion process.
5. There is NO blue dye in the seams of the jacket, and there are no indications of the jacket having been any other color than brown in person.
6. LFL ESB wardrobe records clearly marked Han Solo's jacket as brown.

Now these are indeed "facts" and are not personal interpretations of any fans. If this is not enough fact then no amount will be.

I am not trying to convince you in anyway, but you asked for facts. Have you actually seen the jacket in person? If so then there would be no confusion as to what color it was made from/ and still is.

These facts are correct. I saw the jacket up close at SW Celebration IV.

Last edited:
The jacket on the puppet was blue. But it was blue based off of the filming dailies, in which the brown coat appeared blue just like it does to us. Human error ;)

The irony behind all of this is, the only time Han Solo ever wore blue was during ANH, his pants, but even at times they were so dark they appeared black. Even the original ANH Kenner fig came out with black pants. :)

Last edited:
Seriously, every single one of you mother****ers needs to source their information. The whole "I saw it at Celebration blah" is not a source.

Seriously, every single one of you mother****ers needs to source their information. The whole "I saw it at Celebration blah" is not a source.

Wow...bit touchy there bro.

OK if you must know, my friend Sonya works for the LA Convention center and she let me in during the setup of Celebration IV so I saw the coat up close not from behind glass. Its brown, through and though. So yes that IS a source.

Wow...bit touchy there bro.

OK if you must know, my friend Sonya works for the LA Convention center and she let me in during the setup of Celebration IV so I saw the coat up close not from behind glass. Its brown, through and though. So yes that IS a source.

I am perfectly fine but it is hilarious watching everyone going back and forth on that without citing a single source.

Again, that is not a source unless it is from a reputable place. Which I am sorry, some random person on the internet is not a reputable source unless you would post some sort of credentials.

Yeah it doesn't bother me either way, I find it laughable and fun. I don't understand why it is such a big deal to people. I do find it strange that this debate doesn't include Han's Bespin jacket which appears blue on film as well but in reality wasn't blue at all.

The jacket on the puppet was blue. But it was blue based off of the filming dailies, in which the brown coat appeared blue just like it does to us. Human error ;)

The irony behind all of this is, the only time Han Solo ever wore blue was during ANH, his pants, but even at times they were so dark they appeared black. Even the original ANH Kenner fig came out with black pants. :)

Wha??

What color was his Bespin Jacket? His vest in Jedi?
:lol

What color was his Bespin Jacket? His vest in Jedi?

His Bespin jacket was/is a stone gray color(which appeared blue on film) this is verified by a screen used jacket in the collection of Stephen Lane and the recent ANOVOS Han Bespin costume based off the LFL archives which are explored in the recent Brandon Alinger SW costume book. Hans vest in ROTJ is pure black, just like the ANH vest.

His Bespin jacket was/is a stone gray color(which appeared blue on film) this is verified by a screen used jacket in the collection of Stephen Lane and the recent ANOVOS Han Bespin costume based off the LFL archives which are explored in the recent Brandon Alinger SW costume book. Hans vest in ROTJ is pure black, just like the ANH vest.

Bollox. That's all I have to say to that. Bespin was Blue. Jedi was black/blue. Go google some ****.

I'd take this evidence and Hollywoods over concept drawings and miniatures. Why is it so hard to believe that it is brown? In the old days when people made fake blood in films and needed to change the color to show it was blood for color sakes does it make the blood that color? Nope. There's more evidence it's brown then there is blue.

Sorry fellas but it's brown, it may be blue to you but props say brown, in SW universe it may be blue. Stormtrooper helmet props say asymmetrical but in SW universe it's symmetrical. So you choose what you want.

People don't seem to understand photography, lighting and natural ageing of fabrics.
As well as flash photography. Most Yoda heads are now melted, does that mean he was a zombie smash up when they were filming decades ago?

Now the Bespin Solo jacket in Empire isn't blue? You guys crazy.

I'm out.

Back