Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you mean it, this time (seem to recall this being said before -- not a knock against you, btw). :lol

But God, this argument. Who gives a ****. Everyone trying to be the definitive and ultimate arbiter of what ****ing colour a goddamn jacket was. Not that I'm any better... It's just a nerd curse, I guess, to get wrapped up in these kinds of details. That said, I wouldn't be sorry if I never saw this debate resurrected again. :pray:
Awesome, at least you're consistently annoyed - not just favouritism for SSC Vayda condemners. :lol

..there is zero else going on until we see the creature from the black lagoon SS production head sculpt with its flat white plastic eyes and paint apps by a five year old minimum wage artist.

Then we can have 200 pages of bitchin and whining about how good bad the headsculpt is followed by another 100 pages of people desperately trying to repaint/modify the sculpt to look decent. :lol
Is SSC making a new figure of that guy??? :horror

Jesus, lighten up, it's just for ****s and giggles. Where was the "flare up"? Do you think I actually give a flying **** what color Han Solo's jacket is? :lolWhat do you think is going to be discussed in the Solo Hoth thread, there is zero else going on until we see the creature from the black lagoon SS production head sculpt with its flat white plastic eyes and paint apps by a five year old minimum wage artist.

Then we can have 200 pages of bitchin and whining about how good bad the headsculpt is followed by another 100 pages of people desperately trying to repaint/modify the sculpt to look decent. :lol

You also added to the debate by the way. Why can't everyone just enjoy trying to prove everyone wrong? It's fun as long as it polite. And we all know that it was actually intended to be blue so I don't see the problem in discussing it?
:lol
Yeah, yeah! Like I said, it wasn't a personal knock! Just couldn't take any more about there being blue dye in the seams, Rory! :lol

I thought a seperate thread was made for this ***, sigh.

Yeah, enough about the damn coat, now let's discuss the figure.

Hmm, okay... PO was early Jan... fig was at SDCC... and... nuthin' till next year.:lol Here, I'll give it a go...

I have this fig on P.O. and I coat I chose was...:monkey3

Yeah, enough about the damn coat, now let's discuss the figure.

Hmm, okay... PO was early Jan... fig was at SDCC... and... nuthin' till next year.:lol Here, I'll give it a go...

I have this fig on P.O. and I coat I chose was...:monkey3

Did you pick the screen accurate coat or the faded museum coat?

The jacket on the puppet was blue. But it was blue based off of the filming dailies, in which the brown coat appeared blue just like it does to us. Human error ;)

I love this post for many reasons. Foremost, acknowledgement that the dailies showed the coat to be blue (which Phil Tippet then based his model on). Now if the intent was for a brown coat, don't you think when the dailies started coming through people would have been "that's not right, we need to fix this". But they didn't. They even allowed the blue puppet to then be built. Why?

Also the acknowledgement that what we all saw was blue (and yes, some scenes also look brown but in my opinion those are in the minority, and yes that is based on the versions I have watcheded the most being the original unedited UK widescreen VHS releases from the late 80's early 90's before THX started messing with the colors and the Original Trilogy Laserdisc Box Set).

The color of the actual coat is irrelevant. All that matter is how it looked on the screen.

I loved that sideshow gave us a choice. Not sure if that was inspired or just epic trolling.

*disclaimer: not a single fact was involved in the making of this post, well I guess what I said about my viewing experience was my own fact, but then again it can't be subtantiated unless you want to call my mum...

blue coats are waaaaay cooler than brown coats. unless you're a cowboy of course

mal-speechless.gif

I love this post for many reasons. Foremost, acknowledgement that the dailies showed the coat to be blue (which Phil Tippet then based his model on). Now if the intent was for a brown coat, don't you think when the dailies started coming through people would have been "that's not right, we need to fix this". But they didn't. They even allowed the blue puppet to then be built. Why?

Also the acknowledgement that what we all saw was blue (and yes, some scenes also look brown but in my opinion those are in the minority, and yes that is based on the versions I have watcheded the most being the original unedited UK widescreen VHS releases from the late 80's early 90's before THX started messing with the colors and the Original Trilogy Laserdisc Box Set).

The color of the actual coat is irrelevant. All that matter is how it looked on the screen.

I loved that sideshow gave us a choice. Not sure if that was inspired or just epic trolling.

*disclaimer: not a single fact was involved in the making of this post, well I guess what I said about my viewing experience was my own fact, but then again it can't be subtantiated unless you want to call my mum...

So you admit your post is factually incorrect? I kid, I kid.

Oh it's more than that. This image of Luke is truly all-encompassing of his character.

[snip image]

Blaster in his hand representing his gun battles, lightsaber on his hip representing his Jedi qualities, cold weather pilot suit that he wore while flying both the snowspeeder (Hoth) and X-Wing (space) on his way to Dagobah (more Jedi stuff.)

Concise as a mutha.

Snowspeeder wins.

The only Luke I need. Stylistically it covers the technology, guns and Jedi aspect of the OT in one figure. I want a full snowspeeder version with under-helmet padding and harpoon gun. I call this version AT-AT Killer.

I've been procrastinating and reading this Han thread for the first time. I wasn't planning on getting this figure and HOW could I decide between childhood nostalgia and prop accuracy? It's an NCD (Nerdy Compulsive Disorder) nightmare! :panic:

I respect your opinion, and since you would like "facts" here are a few:

1. I have seen the coat multiple times in person, and even handled the coat on several occasions. Once in 1994, 2001, 2006 most recently in 2010. The color has always been the same.
2. LFL Archives has stated on numerous occasions that the jacket (which was custom made) has always been brown from first day on set to end of production
3. LFL Books in conjunction with Brandon Alinger just released a book detailing the costumes of the original trilogy......in that book the jacket is featured full spread with the same information regarding its color, and the reason that the jacket appears blue on screen. As someone who works in the industry you understand gel lighting and its affects on wardrobe.
4. Per Phil Tippet himself.........to his knowledge the coat was made in blue to match the dailies that were being used to assist the stop motion process.
5. There is NO blue dye in the seams of the jacket, and there are no indications of the jacket having been any other color than brown in person.
6. LFL ESB wardrobe records clearly marked Han Solo's jacket as brown.

Now these are indeed "facts" and are not personal interpretations of any fans. If this is not enough fact then no amount will be.

I am not trying to convince you in anyway, but you asked for facts. Have you actually seen the jacket in person? If so then there would be no confusion as to what color it was made from/ and still is.

I believe this guy, Hollywood, and although I think the blue looks cooler, I ordered brown because that's what it was/is.

There seems to be this misperception that the blue coat emanated solely from a single Kenner action figure - and fan delusion.

The blue coat was in fact featured in pretty much every piece of ESB merchandise at the time of release (and other Kenner toys - not just the 3 3/4" action figure.) Officially sanctioned by LFL, the blue coat persisted in merchandised items for two decades - there are comics (from all around the world) right to the end of the 1990's featuring the blue coat. Galoob released a toy as late as 1998 featuring a blue coat.

There's no disputing the costume was brown - but there is ample evidence that even Lucasfilm believed the coat to be blue right up until the mid 1990's, and that they allowed blue coats to persist for years after that.

There is therefore ample evidence that to a great many people - official people included (production people such as Phil Tippett and people at LFL licensing) - that the coat appeared blue onscreen not just in the original release, but for years after.

f1e6g0.png

The coat dispute is hilarious. I never even knew it was a thing until reading about it here when this thread was made. The scenes outdoors and in the storm make pretty much everything look blue, even the snow is blue. We know snow isn't actually blue, but there's this huge debate about his coat, it's so funny what we get worked up over in this hobby.

Back