Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elvis-thanks.gif

Check the thread. If it's from the 90's, it's the only one - as the many others are from 1980-83.

Even a quick glance says it couldn't be from the 1980 figure. They're specifying light grey pants, grey boots with white straps and yellow-tint goggles. Maybe the POTF2 Han Hoth Tauntaun rider figure, which had yellow tint goggles and that color scheme on legs. The pose, the rifle - it's too unmistakable.

That GIF illustrates the point perfectly - the coat starts out blue and ends up brown. But is it brown and looks blue... or is it blue and looks brown?

Thank God Lucas never started a religion based on Star Wars like Coppola wanted him to do, or we'd all be killing each other in blue coat/ brown coat sect warfare.

:hi5:

(But notice also that Han has a blue rinse!)

I look at it in terms of what it would cost to make a custom... for $150 he's a good base...

That's what I have in the back of my mind

galactiboy said:
...and if you wait I'm sure he'll be offered with extra rewards, on sale, free shipping or even plumet in price on the secondary market. But even at $150 there is enough good there to make a decent figure with a bit of work.

And this too, which is holding me back from ordering yet, though I could use reward points on him now.

You brown peeps are so funny. Deathly terrified of the blue brigade. :rotfl

All this talk of the Kenner figures, if you haven't seen it you should check out Plastic Galaxy. It's hilarious what Kenner had to go on when making the toys.

Any chance you could post a side-by-side of the two heads, I'd be curious how they look next to each other.

Yes, but it'll have to wait until the weekend. Both are packed away (I've got limited space at the moment) and I don't get much natural light when I get home from work of an evening. I did try to take some pics of the Snake sculpt but scraped them because they all looked so terrible and didn't seem to represent the in hand figure.

And no, the first Star Wars Laserdisc was not released (in North America at least) until nearly a decade after ESB was released - 1989. 1980's VHS is hard to judge - watch it today and see if you can make anything out.

If I remember correctly both Star Wars movies (there were only two at the time) was released for the precursor to Laserdisc CED/Selectavision by 1981-82 and then the first Laserdisc release has to have been available around 1983 to coincide with Jedi in the theaters. I bought my first LD player in the latter half of 1989 and there were already three different version on LD by then: Pan & Scam CLV, Pan & Scam CAV and Letterbox CLV/CAV.

I had Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back on Selectavision disc. I still have them, and the machine.

I wonder if that's why I'm so sure it's blue. I suppose I could find out for sure, huh?

Well, you would have to be wary for any home release that's in NTSC (NeverTheSameColor).

But I guess the hue/tint control mainly effects the green-magenta colors so maybe blue is fine either way. :lol

I even have a super high tech 27" tube screen from 1995. Lots of room to manipulate saturation and tint.

A definitive answer is within reach. I can feel it...

I can't let this go unchallenged - that's a prototype, there's every chance they would have corrected the coat before production.

And actually, in the photo of the figure on the box it looks blue.

Proto? Let's talk timelines here and forget about DVD's, VHS and Blu-Ray color deviations. Let's talk pre-production and production on The Empire Strikes Back.

Ralph McQuarrie's concept drawings were of Han in a BLUE coat. Exactly the style in the finished film. The stop motion puppet had a BLUE coat.

Ergo.. Han's coat was intended to be blue. Do you really think Lucas of all people would have left it blue if he intended it to be brown? Lucas?? really?? :lol
End of discussion.

I even have a super high tech 27" tube screen from 1995. Lots of room to manipulate saturation and tint.

A definitive answer is within reach. I can feel it...

These older systems require scan lines and a CRT (too look their best). I have a thousand old VHS cassettes and laserdiscs as well as old video games. And it just doesn't look right on a plasma or LCD or the different variants. And I've got the most "CRT-like" plasma (Pioneer G9) there is. Laserdisc and video can look pretty good on a newer display if you have a very good scaler/de-interlacer, but videogames and even more important old arcade games look like total **** on a digital display.

Back