Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So would the '95 television work?

I was kidding about it being super high-tech, but it's possible that it's too good for a video player from 1980.

Proto? Let's talk timelines here and forget about DVD's, VHS and Blu-Ray color deviations. Let's talk pre-production and production on The Empire Strikes Back.

Ralph McQuarrie's concept drawings were of Han in a BLUE coat. Exactly the style in the finished film. The stop motion puppet had a BLUE coat.

Ergo.. Han's coat was intended to be blue. Do you really think Lucas of all people would have left it blue if he intended it to be brown? Lucas?? really?? :lol
End of discussion.

Blue to enhance cold looking shots of the puppet.

:lecture

Lucas was a very careless film-maker. Listening to the StarWars.com audio commentary to Star Wars, he was referred to as a documentary style film-maker. He picked shots that fitted his vision even if they didn't match in continuity - such as Chewie's bandolier or Han's gloves appearing and disappearing every few seconds; or he would flip shots frequently so that C-3PO's oil stain would change sides, for example.

Kershner adopted a similar style in ESB. I noticed flipped shots where Imperial officers' rank insignia appeared on the wrong side.

I don't believe the coat "was intended to be blue", but that certain shots of a brown one were intended to look very cold.

So would the '95 television work?

I was kidding about it being super high-tech, but it's possible that it's too good for a video player from 1980.

What connections are there on the CED-player? I don't see why it wouldn't work. I guess there could be an RF connection where you would need a RF-modulator or something, but the '95 tv would still have a tuner right?

My first laserdisc player had composite and RF but that particular model was very cheap and was apparently the go-to player for the US military so therefore it had RF.

The tv was all buttons. There's a pop-up menu for picture adjustment. No component jack, just coaxial. Etc.

I'll check the Selectavision. I'm expecting to find fork and screw connections.

"Come, boy, see for yourself. From here, you will witness the final destruction of the Blue Brigade and the end of your insignificant rebellion."

blog%203.26.12.jpg

And look what happened to him.

Blue to enhance cold looking shots of the puppet.

:lecture

Lucas was a very careless film-maker. Listening to the StarWars.com audio commentary to Star Wars, he was referred to as a documentary style film-maker. He picked shots that fitted his vision even if they didn't match in continuity - such as Chewie's bandolier or Han's gloves appearing and disappearing every few seconds; or he would flip shots frequently so that C-3PO's oil stain would change sides, for example.

Kershner adopted a similar style in ESB. I noticed flipped shots where Imperial officers' rank insignia appeared on the wrong side.

I don't believe the coat "was intended to be blue", but that certain shots of a brown one were intended to look very cold.

RoryWan is right, all the CONTEMPORANEOUS evidence points to blue, not the brown abomination. Pre-production drawings, the way it looked in the film, toys, everything points to blue. So when did the first so-called authentic photos of the BROWN jacket surface, huh? Long, long after the film had been out, NOT UNTIL THE NINETIES IN FACT.

I think there's something very fishy going on. Very fishy indeed.

RoryWan is right, all the CONTEMPORANEOUS evidence points to blue, not the brown abomination. Pre-production drawings, the way it looked in the film, toys, everything points to blue. So when did the first so-called authentic photos of the BROWN jacket surface, huh? Long, long after the film had been out, NOT UNTIL THE NINETIES IN FACT.

I think there's something very fishy going on. Very fishy indeed.

What are you driving at?

alVAag9.jpg

:wink1:

They had to produce a brown jacket for people to think the jacket was brown. :lecture

And then they went back in time and substituted the coat so they could film everything with it - again. Then they color graded the movie to make sure the coat is easily identifiable as brown except when under blue light. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Somewhat done with this - it's gotten beyond silly, which is OK if it's fooling around, but kind of pointless if folks are just ignoring actual physical evidence in favor of divining what Lucas was thinking/feeling and using Kenner as a template.

Well, McQuarries concept art for the movie was blue. He was given those early costume designs to work with, so someone intended it to be blue. Before the shoot. :lol

Also, it's clearly blue in quite a few publicity shots from the era. Yes, these could have been color graded to make the coat blue. But the point is, the coat is blue, they wanted it to be blue. These shots are exterior with no overhead lighting, so any conversations about the coat being blue just because of set lighting are silly IMO. If the coat they shot was indeed brown, they purposely changed the color in post.

Last edited:
Basically it boils down to whether you prefer screen-accurate or prop-accurate. You could argue that it's blue in the Star Wars universe (i.e. on-screen) and brown in "real life".

I love this book :wink1: :lol:

It's a beautiful book, doesn't really say much about this though. Just that the prop coat is brown (now), fabric dye would have changed massively in 30 years, if it was dyed. it doesn't unfortunately explain the situation at all. Nothing conclusive there except some nice pics.

Because they don't know either I suspect. :lol

Speaking of that book, i was looking through it yesterday, it's a pity to see that a lot of the costumes in it are not screen worn, but archival and vintage replicas.

I wrote it some pages back,if you take this model jacket from Han,it is another story ................ :dunno.So i think both are right :lol!

We must stop this discussion :rotfl.

I wrote it some pages back,if you take this model jacket from Han,it is another story ................ :dunno.So i think both are right :lol!

We must stop this discussion :rotfl.

I was just gonna quote that. :lol
That combined with the Blue coat on the McQuarrie sketches are all the evidence I need. I have my own theories about why the coat appeared blue/brown.
But it's all irrelevant, the intent was clearly and deliberately blue.

ScreenShot2015-02-03at152714_zps47d74631.png

Back