Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does looks a bit like an embalmed corpse, I just didn't want to go there. ;) Not uncommon in the industry though, no matter what producer you look at. IMO, it's best to reserve final judgement until more photos come around, but I know that won't stop the hyperbole.

"It does looks a bit like an embalmed corpse"

"I know that won't stop the hyperbole"

How can those two statements exist in the same post. :lol

34BFE9A1-EAEA-4728-94FA-F974EB80AB6F_zpsfxpc2o5n.jpg

"I must kill..the queen, I must kill...the queen..."

Looks OK. HT has really spoiled us with their realistic sculpts. This is what collectors expect out of their 1/6 figures nowadays. Likeness looks surprisingly good on Han, but the eyes are lousy. Really kills any "life" this figure had. I find it VERY frustrating that I can't get a good Han or Indy figure out of the top two high-end companies on the market.

Thank you for finally posting pics!

I'm with Rory... Something is getting lost in the eyes due to the newer separate pieces. Fords eyelids hang a bit over his eyes and Trev's sculpt detail seems to be gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Rory... Something is getting lost in the eyes due to the newer separate pieces. Fords eyelids hang a bit over his eyes and Trev's sculpt detail seems to be gone now.

Yeah, real pity, Trevor's sculpt looks like it could have been the best Ford head to date.

The old Han & Luke Stormtrooper set...from what I saw online the heads looked a little like caricatures or illustrations, but something about them had a lot of life and character.

This looks like it's falling short of something, whereas they simply looked like stylized representations.

I just don't think SSC is quite pulling it off here. I would buy a Hoth Pilot Luke but only because I'd have the helmet on.

YMMV etc.

That stupid eye system is the worst. There are too many variables in the materials and production process for multiple pieces to go together seamlessly.

Enterbay seems to have managed separate eye pieces but sideshows factories just can't seem to get it right. My hopes for x-wing luke are gone now. Shame.

My hopes for x-wing luke are gone now. Shame.

At least you'll be able to display him with his helmet on.

But this new Han really cinches the HT vs. SSC comparison debate in my mind. Yes, I do see how this figure has facial features that are more "Ford" than the HT ANH Han, but this figure also looks like a "toy" of an Asian/Eskimo woman. HT might not nail the likeness, but at LEAST they got the right race and gender.

Why are they even doing these separate eye pieces? Is it cheaper than actually improving the paint eye work on a solid head?
Look at a HT head sculpt to see how good painted/transfer/printed eyes can look. Maybe SS just don't have the ability/resources and they thought this was a suitable alternative. Personally I think it was a really bad call, it's ruined several figures now.

Not terrible but not good either. Damn that new eye system! :gah:

Looks like they cut way too much out of the eye area to make the glass eyes fit. At least they didn't paint they eyelid area red like they did Drake. The outfit looks good, but looks like it needs lots of futzing to get it to not look so bulky. Well, the hood will always be up on mine and the visor should obscure his eyes a bit, so I think it will display well. And from a distance the eye gaps might not be as noticeable.

Oh, well. Still no good Han out there. How many HF sculpts have there been and all of them have been bad for some reason or another? It's either a bad sculpt but good paint from HT, or good sculpt but terrible paint from Sideshow. Perhaps if HT ever does Bespin Han, that one might be the one that finally gets it right!

That stupid eye system is the worst. There are too many variables in the materials and production process for multiple pieces to go together seamlessly.

The new system does seem to slightly distort the sculpt in several areas. The original looked more full in looks to have since undergone plastic surgery as others noted. The eyes look a bit bigger than the original sculpt and they look like white balls sans veins, etc. or maybe that's just lost in the photo. Looking at the Rex figure I don't see these same issues with the eye (lower lid looks fine for example).

The new system does seem to slightly distort the sculpt in several areas. The original looked more full in looks to have since undergone plastic surgery as others noted. The eyes look a bit bigger than the original sculpt and they look like white balls sans veins, etc. or maybe that's just lost in the photo. Looking at the Rex figure I don't see these same issues with the eye (lower lid looks fine for example).

The Rex head (picture) looks much better than this. Of course there can be a big difference in how pictures are taken. Every figure looks better in hand, thats almost a given. But still, I bought Echo and Fives because I could get them super cheap, and those scuplts looked ten times as good as any picture I had previously seen, but still they didn't look very good at all to me, so... :dunno

So.. whos going to vote with their wallets here?

I'll go first :wave

The overall look of the figure is really nice,something SS always does really well imo. But as far as the headsculpt goes, for me it's just another caricature and the mind boggles as to why on earth they go with separate eye pieces

..it's all in the eyes...

team-america-evil-osama_zpsd203bc0e.jpg

Taking an aside for the moment and not talking about this figure's production traits, Sideshow is demonstrating a very significant failure here on another front, letting a customer provide the first images of a final product. That's some serious lack of control, both in marketing and supply chain management. If I were a higher up at Sideshow I'd be livid right now.

They'll no doubt still sell out of this product eventually, but their reputation is getting hammered on a continual basis and it's as if they're helping to hold the nails.

Back