Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if figures are previewed six months apart that will still give collectors plenty of time to cancel the less desirable representation.

Which is why I'm super doubtful that would ever happen. Both companies have too much to lose. Sideshow is probably responsible for the bulk of Hot Toys sales and Hot Toys distributes Sideshow for Asia. Would either of them want to be showing two of the same character at the same time? Not in the same outfit the wouldn't.

IMO, my solution is best. Sideshow starts using Hot Toys factories and goes back to more traditional head sculpts. Or just makes Howard an offer he can't refuse to buy them outright. ;)

That won't help people who have bought the exclusive for the Big Chief Sitting Bantha head, you won't be able to obscure it with anything. And to be honest, if you have to cover up most of the face on a figure, than that figure is a fail.

If that's how someone planned to pose anyway it doesn't really matter. People get clones with head sculpts and often just pose it with the helmet.
One thing I'm curious to see is if the goggles actually do fit over the face. We haven't seen one photo showing that.
Regarding the alternate head, that is just an exclusive so for many that one won't be an issue cause they won't have it.

Yeah, I can't possibly pretend to know anything about the economics of making figures like these, but as a consumer generally I think quality is probably the best business plan, can't see why it would be any different for high-end figures.

Exactly. If you want to go cheap, don't make a brand new snow base, don't make a whole other head as the exclusive, just get the head sculpt down really well and forget that other stuff. (Maybe that's their plan with Luke X-Wing).

Which is why I'm super doubtful that would ever happen. Both companies have too much to lose. Sideshow is probably responsible for the bulk of Hot Toys sales and Hot Toys distributes Sideshow for Asia. Would either of them want to be showing two of the same character at the same time? Not in the same outfit the wouldn't.

IMO, my solution is best. Sideshow starts using Hot Toys factories and goes back to more traditional head sculpts. Or just makes Howard an offer he can't refuse to buy them outright. ;)

Hot Toys doesn't have much to loose? Two similar products, from two companies at very different levels of sophistication for similar prices? Everyone will flock to HT and SS would be left with warehouses full. SS need to improve their product or lower their prices.

And the whole distribution deal isn't much to take into consideration. HT call the shots now, they have the market for 1/6. They could drop SS and either do it themselves, or get another distributer. They can do whatever they like at this moment in time.

We both spent time trying to escape that hell hole New York. Brothers in arms and all :lol

Indeed we did! :1-1:

I escaped once, got dragged back in and then escaped again...but this time with the cassette tape (and figure!) And am still very pleased with the result.

Declaring Snake Plissken ownership is probably akin to standing up and declaring your name and addiction at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. :eek:

There will be much better photos of this. Para will probably take some great ones when he's home and he said it looks great in hand.

In paramore we trust. So let's just recap...

He's f'n awesome guys, I really like it. Clothing very well done. Sculpt is definitely Ford and paint apps are great too. I think it's turned out brilliant.

Good point. Hard to imagine two competing figures both up for preorder on Pop Culture Collectible Figures | Sideshow Collectibles. I wonder if SSC will focus on PF's then and let HT handle the figures.

That seems like a reasonable solution. I can't imagine either company would not want to get the jump on the other by putting their product up for sale first. You have to strike while the iron is hot!

Wait HT does 1/4 scale now too. Maybe SSC should just bow out of TFA collectibles. :lol
:rotfl

Face looks almost as fat as Bespin Han! Looks like our next hope for a decent Han will be HT Bespin Han (if they ever do one). The wait goes on.....

Declaring Snake Plissken ownership is probably akin to standing up and declaring your name and addiction at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. :eek:

No way man. He may have issues in terms of paint finish, but if your collecting habits are more open, there's nothing wrong with owning it. Only the collector should decide what does and doesn't belong in their own collection. I collect Kenner, Hasbro, Fisher Price, Mego and all sorts of toys. Sometimes I want an ultra-realistic representation, especially if it's going to be my only example and part of a certain diorama, but other times I'm happy with, and look for various examples as part of documenting the changing production processes and styles of the period. It's why I'm still on the hunt for the last two Sideshow Sandtroopers and why I'd never get rid of their Stormtooper despite wanting to get a few of Hot Toys'.

Welcome to the world of Sideshow Quality with Hot Toys pricing...

If Luke Hoth and Luke X-Wing (yeah that 240 US$ figure..) will go the same route Sideshow will loose some/many (all lol) customers in 1:6.... ;)

No way man. He may have issues in terms of paint finish, but if your collecting habits are more open, there's nothing wrong with owning it. Only the collector should decide what does and doesn't belong in their own collection.

:hi5:

All I know is he looks good on display, and, compared to some, it appears I got a good example with no real issues.

Owning certain figures, and seeing them in the collection, give me what I can only really describe as 'a warm, fuzzy glow'. :lol

I get that, for example, from my Kaustic Plastik Romans. And I get that from Snake.

Same situation with Sideshow's Artoo. Lots of complaints about being "flimsy", and quite a few justified complaints about quality control. But again, I got away lightly, and there's the best looking Artoo I've ever owned on display and holding his own with the Tamashii Threepio.

paramore's photos of Han aren't filling me with confidence, but his words about in-hand ownership tally with my experience. I'm prepared to overlook the first photos. But, like Snake, I sense this is going to be another rollercoaster ride until I get to open the boxes. And then judge whether they were worth the money. :panic:

Sideshow's eye system is undoubtedly a bad move, and is harming sculpts. But then their earlier sculpts were generally much worse overall (Ceremony Luke, Bespin Han etc, etc)

It's all subjective at the end of the day anyway mate. If you like something you like it, you don't have to explain that. I've defended figures over the years that most everyone else said were ****. :lol Some people see a piece of cheese, some people see a diamond. :lol

How about your bother to read the tread before trolling?
Thanks.
No need to you had pretty much already said it was crap before you saw it, it puld be an absolute masterpiece and you two would still slam it .

And my comment is no worse then you continued slams over and over and over.

I like it, but I did not order this. I hope HT Han looks better than this, but I am not convinced of that. Trevor is a great sculptor, just a tad wonky due to the separate eye thingy. I was happy with Snake (after I tweaked it) and I am sure many will be happy with this. I have an inkling of hope for the TOD Indy now.

No need to you had pretty much already said it was crap before you saw it, it puld be an absolute masterpiece and you two would still slam it .

And my comment is no worse then you continued slams over and over and over.

Bollox. Complete utter (badly written) bollox. Is english your first language?

:lol

Let me help you. Since you seem unable to read today, here is a small selection. You can do the rest of your literary homework yourself.

Definitely not a "Drake" though I can't say I'm incredibly excited about owning a figure that looks like an angry Eskimo woman who is one second from kicking my ass for being later for dinner.

Thanks for posting the pics.
It does look a little like someone sliced off part of the lower lid/eyelashes with a scalpel. HT does that slightly funky thing with the tiny painted eyelash lines that sort of works to make it look realistic.

Also, not quite enough of a depression under the eyes, which is what gives it that slightly Asian appearance.
Luke used the Jedi mind trick on him and it went a little wrong.
This is what Han looked like after smelling the Tauntaun inards! :lol

I'm with Rory... Something is getting lost in the eyes due to the newer separate pieces. Fords eyelids hang a bit over his eyes and Trev's sculpt detail seems to be gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not the best photos.. (no offense Para). :lol

Looks like extreme close up syndrome -but I think I was right before about the psychotic mannequin thing.

Rory just emphasized it. :lol
Likeness not that bad, going by these first pics... but Chucky Han does look like he's deciding which sharp object he wants to kill you with when he comes to life and jumps out of the box.

Meh. Sculpt was grat but the eye thing is doing its best to kill the overall effect.

The fact that he looks like he's been dipped in a caramel latte doesn't help either.

On the other hand, while this falls some way short of acceptable, it's definitely not as bad as I was expecting. If Sideshow want to use that quote in their advertising, then they're welcome to do so.
It does looks a bit like an embalmed corpse, I just didn't want to go there. ;)

If this whole eye system was designed to bring life into the expression it achieved quite the opposite.

cue quint's quote.....:lol

That stupid eye system is the worst. There are too many variables in the materials and production process for multiple pieces to go together seamlessly.

Enterbay seems to have managed separate eye pieces but sideshows factories just can't seem to get it right. My hopes for x-wing luke are gone now. Shame.

"Then you those black eyes roll over.

They got lifeless eyes.. like a doll's eyes.."

Face looks almost as fat as Bespin Han! Looks like our next hope for a decent Han will be HT Bespin Han (if they ever do one). The wait goes on.....

:lol Careful mfoga not happy with bad things peeps saying bout hz doll.

Last edited:
It's all subjective at the end of the day anyway mate. If you like something you like it, you don't have to explain that. I've defended figures over the years that most everyone else said were ****. :lol Some people see a piece of cheese, some people see a diamond. :lol

Sideshow deals almost exclusively in rough diamonds. :)

"Then you those black eyes roll over.

They got lifeless eyes.. like a doll's eyes.."

The Sideshow shark devours another customer who unfortunately fell for the prototype photos...

jaws.jpg

I think the issue here is we've all been spoiled by Hot Toys. If Hot Toys wasn't around and all we had was Sideshow we would of loved this release more even with the issues. This is still a very nice release. Eye's look a bit wonky but actually looks not bad. Sculpt and Paint looks great. You can't complain for the price too much. It's a pretty good release and Sideshow will still get our money even how ****** the release turns out. We want a figure representing our favorite characters.

Back