Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Begging pardon. I'm sure this was answered or discussed somewhere earlier , but I can't find. Am I to understand that each figure comes with 2 heads ? One with hair and one with headgear molded onto it ? They look good, but non-removeable headgear is one of my pet peeves

The Exclusives via Sideshow each have two heads: bare head and helmeted head.

The Regular edition only has the helmeted head.

The exclusive SS Luke has THREE heads: Headgear, no headgear, and headgear with wampa scars.

About the removable headgear/hair issue:
I'm considering going to ebay after release, and buying extra parted-out heads (headgear on or off- either will do)
for both Luke and Han. Then I can grind them to baldness, and sew real fabric headgear for both. Obviously I could grind down the ones which come with my own figures, but... that wouldn't be obsessively nerdy enough; must keep the original set complete. Anyway, the fabric headgear could be worn, or displayed off with the clean head sculpts; tucked into Han's belt, for example.
Finally, I will do a complete grind-down-apply-real-hair job on the tauntaun, and have myself committed to a care facility.

Last edited:
The exclusive SS Luke has THREE heads: Headgear, no headgear, and headgear with wampa scars.

About the removable headgear/hair issue:
I'm considering going to ebay after release, and buying extra parted-out heads (headgear on or off- either will do)
for both Luke and Han. Then I can grind them to baldness, and sew real fabric headgear for both. Obviously I could grind down the ones which come with my own figures, but... that wouldn't be obsessively nerdy enough; must keep the original set complete. Anyway, the fabric headgear could be worn, or displayed off with the clean head sculpts; tucked into Han's belt, for example.
Finally, I will do a complete grind-down-apply-real-hair job on the tauntaun, and have myself committed to a care facility.
:rotfl I was about to say that!

I hope Sideshow gives good head. :monkey3

It was the battle-damaged sculpt that finally sold me on getting Luke.

I was always intending to get Han, and they are a perfect pairing. Just waiting for their combined love interest (!) to be announced. There has to be a Leia in the works.

So last week I downloaded the digital versions of The Making Of books. Amazing, amazing amazing. To get all that artwork in high resolution alone is worth the price. Can't really recommend them enough. But anyway.. I noticed something... some pre pro art by McQuarrie..

IT WAS BLUE (or at least it was intended to be at one point) :lol
This at the very least negates any silly arguments that it was an accidental colour timing issue..

Han and Chewie on Hoth/Ice planet (1977 McQuarrie)....

IT WAS BLUE (or at least it was intended to be at one point) :lol

ScreenShot2014-01-24at143901_zpsc27fde4c.png

When Sideshow make a Wampa they better make him BROWN! :lecture

How does SSC make figures these days? do they just make 'X' amt, or base it on preorders.....? Asking, cause I would assume that many more folks are ordering the screen accurate brown? (blue looks nice to me though -its a kid/kenner days thing)

How does SSC make figures these days? do they just make 'X' amt, or base it on preorders.....? Asking, cause I would assume that many more folks are ordering the screen accurate brown? (blue looks nice to me though -its a kid/kenner days thing)

:(
Han and Chewie on Hoth/Ice planet (1977 McQuarrie)....

So funny that you posted that, Rory. I was just reading the ESB Making of book too (the physical book), and noticed the same thing! I almost posted about it too, but I didn't want to open up that can of worms again! :lol

But cheers to you for having the brass to do it! :duff

WE know the truth, don't we? :wink1:

Ok, thanks for the pics, Rory....I must say, I can see why Kenner made the figure blue......and don't get me wrong, I prefer the blue one. Heck thats just how it was for like 20 years following ESB insofar as most people knew!!!

So funny that you posted that, Rory. I was just reading the ESB Making of book too (the physical book), and noticed the same thing! I almost posted about it too, but I didn't want to open up that can of worms again! :lol

But cheers to you for having the brass to do it! :duff

WE know the truth, don't we? :wink1:

:rock

We do, we do... :duff
Seriously though, finding those McQuarrie drawings has removed any doubt in my head now. Regardless of what colour the props are now, or some strange lighting, the jacket was *intended* to be blue, which makes complete sense given the rest of Solo's wardrobe in the movie. I always thought it was anyway, and prefer the blue look (yeah, from the toys).

I have the physical books for an age, and never really appreciated them as much until I got the digital versions, being able to blow up every image to full resolution is amazing, also I never realised how "warts and all" the text was, jesus, there is some hair raising stuff in there.

So they should be releasing the blue one as McQuarrie concept, just like white Boba...
Talking seriously, why make the parka brown if you want it blue? The blue jacket is there, in the same environment...they wanted it blue and they made it blue.

Seriously though, finding those McQuarrie drawings has removed any doubt in my head now. Regardless of what colour the props are now, or some strange lighting, the jacket was *intended* to be blue, which makes complete sense given the rest of Solo's wardrobe in the movie.

Or was it?

empire-strikes-back--coca-cola---hoth-.jpg

A Boris Vallejo poster from 1980

https://space1970.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-empire-strikes-back-1980-premium.html

...when The Empire Strikes Back premiered in 1980, acclaimed fantasy artist Boris Vallejo (whose Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon images from the period are also memorable) was commissioned to paint these dramatic posters as premiums for Coca-Cola.

ADDENDUM: From the comments, it appears that these posters were available at both the Burger Chef/Burger King restaurants and at "participating theaters!"

Back