Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that is a bit worrisome. Someone brought up the fact that it will really look bad when you pose Han on the tauntaun since the coat will get all bunchy without the slit.

Hm yeah, for people getting the TaunTaun this would be worrisome. If no TaunTaun is in your future I wouldn't worry about, unless you're hardcore on accuracy or something.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

While I do have a clear opinion on the color, personally I'm way more upset that I can't get the headgear-less sculpt without buying directly from Sideshow, what an idiotic decision. :banghead

I agree. The exclusive should have been 2 head sculpts and both blue and brown coat. The regular should be both sculpts and the brown coat only.
I was hoping to get an extra head for a ROTJ custom. :gah:

Yeah, I caught the vent detail issue, but the 'bunching up on tauntaun' problem hadn't occurred to me.
I have a sewing machine here, so I'll make the alteration if SS doesn't, though it would be tricky.
I think I might actually contact them and mention it, hoping it's not too late for them to make the correction.
It's not due until November SS... come on.

Thanks for the heads-up, Misterscruff.

UPDATE: I just called SS and spoke to Jennifer, who I have spoken to a hundred times- really great person.
I explained the issue in detail, she looked at the photos posted on their website, and she promised absolutely to bring it to the attention of the design team.
She agreed the jacket might look odd and bunched-up at the waist while Solo is mounted on the tauntaun.
I told her that I have a sewing machine and could try to alter it myself, but she pointed out that I wouldn't be able to fold and sew a proper hem on both edges of the flaps without creating a gap in the middle- and she's right.

She also warned me that the current version, with all it's details, has been "signed off" by Lucasfilms, contractually obligating SS to produce the design as it exists now. Any further changes will require that the final version be approved and signed-off again by Lucasfilms. She seemed optimistic though, given the fact that there is still plenty of time before release.
I told her to have the design team look at the scene in the film where Han Solo is shooting at the probe droid for reference, and she actually wrote that down in her notes. Thanks Jennifer!

Last edited:
I agree. The exclusive should have been 2 head sculpts and both blue and brown coat. The regular should be both sculpts and the brown coat only.
I was hoping to get an extra head for a ROTJ custom. :gah:

I agree, was hoping to swap out the original Bespin Han head with this sculpt. These heads will be rare indeed now parted out, not to mention pricey!

Hey the parks looks fine to me
menynepu.jpg

Yeah, I caught the vent detail issue, but the 'bunching up on tauntaun' problem hadn't occurred to me.
I have a sewing machine here, so I'll make the alteration if SS doesn't, though it would be tricky.
I think I might actually contact them and mention it, hoping it's not too late for them to make the correction.
It's not due until November SS... come on.

Thanks for the heads-up, Misterscruff.

UPDATE: I just called SS and spoke to Jennifer, who I have spoken to a hundred times- really great person.
I explained the issue in detail, she looked at the photos posted on their website, and she promised absolutely to bring it to the attention of the design team.
She agreed the jacket might look odd and bunched-up at the waist while Solo is mounted on the tauntaun.
I told her that I have a sewing machine and could try to alter it myself, but she pointed out that I wouldn't be able to fold and sew a proper hem on both edges of the flaps without creating a gap in the middle- and she's right.

She also warned me that the current version, with all it's details, has been "signed off" by Lucasfilms, contractually obligating SS to produce the design as it exists now. Any further changes will require that the final version be approved and signed-off again by Lucasfilms. She seemed optimistic though, given the fact that there is still plenty of time before release.
I told her to have the design team look at the scene in the film where Han Solo is shooting at the probe droid for reference, and she actually wrote that down in her notes. Thanks Jennifer!

That is awesome, Anthrapoid! :clap

I wonder if anything will come out of this. Like Jennifer said, since LFL signed off on it, it might be too late to do anything about it now. And maybe the designers did know about the slit, but decided against doing it for the sake of being more efficient, production-wise and maybe never considered how that omission would affect the look when Han is on the tauntaun.

Fingers crossed! :pray:

That's fantastic, thanks Anthropiod!

I think the back of the parka is made of two panels with a seam down the centre allowing for the vent at the bottom, rather than one piece with a vent cut into it. Either side of the seam is the parallel vertical stitching detail.

HanParkaback.jpg

You can just about make out the central seam on this pic, with the parallel stitching detail less prominent on either side.

han_parka2.jpg

I hope they help because I'd really like SS to nail this one.

I agree Misterscruff, I think you're right. That would actually make it easier to alter it myself if needed.

The only thing about this entire figure (and Luke) that REALLY bothers me are the gauntlets.
The light gray forearm sections look like plastic tubes with sculpted wrinkles, because... they are.
They don't look like they are integral sewn-on parts of the gloves at all, and they don't flare out away from the wrist.
If I do any mod at all, it'll be sewing real suede-like fabric pieces (very thin) to attach directly to the gloves.
I will cut very shallow depressions into the proximal ends of the hands, so that the fabric 'forearm sections' can be glued into place
and be flush with the 'hand sections', instead of overlapping them. This will give the illusion that the flared parts are sewn directly onto the hand sections at the wrist, and it will allow realistic wrist flexibility. Then I will add the wrist-com units, of course.
Look at the comparison below... is anyone else bothered by this? I have the Hasbro 12" tauntaun & Solo, and these gauntlets aren't much better. For the sake of authenticity and wrist mobility, I really want the gloves to look like they are real.
lmst.jpg

Last edited:
is anyone else bothered that the gauntlets have such a conspicuous seam at the wrist?

I'm not too happy with them either. The gloves used during filming were welding gloves which had smooth leather hands and suede gauntlets. I think the method that you suggested would work rather well.

I'm not happy with the two piece boots either but I think I'll have to make my own to replace them.

It's a surprise they didn't choose the same technique they used with Dx vader for these gloves. It would have worked perfectly.

Yes, someday I might make suede boots too.
Now, the UBER-GEEK detail question: Will the tauntaun have a removable claw, to switch from 'Luke mode' to 'Han mode'?
Recall: When Solo's tauntaun died, and was subsequently cut open, the camera showed that it had a missing claw on it's left paw, second digit...

Back