Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i don't know why everyone is getting so excited about these announcements. (sans the noobs) Get excited when they start pumping out great production pieces. It's almost like they know HT is going to get the EP7 dealio so start better start cranking these out now.

Doubt it. HT has no time for anything but Iron Man & Friends and the occasional Batman.

Told ya!

Well unfortunately I haven't been given any reason to think the head is going to be any different than Nathan Drake or their two newest clones.
But the costume will be top notch I bet.

Well unfortunately I haven't been given any reason to think the head is going to be any different than Nathan Drake or their two newest clones.
But the costume will be top notch I bet.

I just searched and saw what you are meaning about the Drake doll's head sculpting. That's a one-off, pretty minor line/character that maybe SSC let slide like what HT did with their new Tonto action figure from a failed franchise.

There is NO WAY that the first SSC Han doll in many years would be allowed to go the same way, especially with HT getting the license (i.e. potentially fresh high-level direct competition in the eyes of Disney) and a new movie around the corner - featuring Han. This headsculpt and the new Luke will be a new highwater mark for SSC because it has to be.

I just searched and saw what you are meaning about the Drake doll's head sculpting. That's a one-off, pretty minor line/character that maybe SSC let slide like what HT did with their new Tonto action figure from a failed franchise.

There is NO WAY that the first SSC Han doll in many years would be allowed to go the same way, especially with HT getting the license (i.e. potentially fresh high-level direct competition in the eyes of Disney) and a new movie around the corner - featuring Han. This headsculpt and the new Luke will be a new highwater mark for SSC because it has to be.

I hope your right, but Nathan Drake was not a one off. The latest two clones were identical. And Grievous had pink jelly fish lines all around his eyes.

I can't say I'm hopeful that they'll get it right. IMO, the whole 3-piece headsculpt is fatally flawed and should be scrapped. The process seems to build-in a certain amount of distortion, so I don't see how it can be avoided. Both Drake and Echo and Fives look very doll-like.

In regards to HT, I can't imagine that SSC and HT are going to release competing products. If anything, SSC must be over the moon that HT got the license (I'm assuming away from Medicom) since they'll be getting a cut of everything sold in North America via distribution. HT SW will sell probably 10x the number of what Medicom did.

The 3 piece worked for Wollfe, he came out awesome so how did it go wrong after that?

This Han figure needs to be amazing otherwise I'll have a Tauntaun with no rider and that can't happen.

The thing is Wolffe is a pretty generic looking character whereas Harrison Ford's likeness has proven notoriously difficult to capture in 1:6. The 3-piece technique only makes it harder, IMO. Had I kept my order, I would take some comfort in the fact that I would've displayed him only with the hood up and goggles on, anyway, so likeness is not so important in that scenario.

The thing is Wolffe is a pretty generic looking character whereas Harrison Ford's likeness has proven notoriously difficult to capture in 1:6. The 3-piece technique only makes it harder, IMO. Had I kept my order, I would take some comfort in the fact that I would've displayed him only with the hood up and goggles on, anyway, so likeness is not so important in that scenario.

You cancelled your pre-order on this because of this concern?

I was amazed this came with two HF portraits (which as protos looked better than any Han doll I've seen) so seems like such a great deal, but I guess if they don't come out like the protos, not so great. I guess this comes down to trust of SSC, which does seem to vary! I still think the Drake doll was isolated, but I guess I'm just being hopeful for a figure I'm extremely excited to get...

You cancelled your pre-order on this because of this concern?
No, I cancelled because I felt my collection is in danger of outgrowing the space I have for it. I want to save room for stuff I like even better (e.g., couple of Scout Troopers with Speeder Bike) than Hoth Han, Luke and Tauntaun (cool as they will look on display). For Hoth I'm only going to keep the Imperials (2 Snowtroopers, E-Web and Probot, plus a Snowtrooper Commander, assuming Sideshow makes one).

No, I cancelled because I felt my collection is in danger of outgrowing the space I have for it. I want to save room for stuff I like even better (e.g., couple of Scout Troopers with Speeder Bike) than Hoth Han, Luke and Tauntaun (cool as they will look on display). For Hoth I'm only going to keep the Imperials (2 Snowtroopers, E-Web and Probot, plus a Snowtrooper Commander, assuming Sideshow makes one).

Imperials are by and large the coolest visually. The probot I cannot wait to see in-hand (and next to Han Hoth.) First time in 1/6... surprised at the muted reaction it seems to have gotten on this forum, even now, shipping in a few weeks as it does.

I'm probably passing on the Taun and even the Luke. It'll be one of those I regret a year or two later and pay double for.

The thing is Wolffe is a pretty generic looking character whereas Harrison Ford's likeness has proven notoriously difficult to capture in 1:6.

True but my point was more that the 3 piece design with Wolffe worked yet Echo, Fives, Drake didn't, so where, why, how did the process do downhill from Wolffe?

Yeah, I thought the Nathan Drake head was a one off mess up, until I saw this on Toy Anxiety?
There is no excuse for something like this to get released.

I really think its time for Sideshow to update their page to show the acutal production figure. The darn thing has been done at least a month now.

Obviously its not going to happen.....but still.

Getting more concerned for Han and Luke now...

Here is another demo video I shot at the Sideshow booth this past weekend. This time its's the upcoming Superman figure which looks really awesome. I was able to place dupes in some really great poses and can't wait to get him soon.

He's got googly eyes.

Drake eyes!

"Dupes" indeed!

jimmie_dimmick said:
SSC needs to learn that their whole experiment with eye inserts is not working.

:gah:

Oh no.

I m not understanding why SS isn't learning from its competitors. DID, HT put out a far superior product, and DID does it for SS prices! Too bad most DID release subjects don't interest me, but it's the point that there is no excuse for SS.

This goes back to what I have said for years.......SS human likenesses no matter the method are terrible.

Come on guys!

Oh no.

I m not understanding why SS isn't learning from its competitors. DID, HT put out a far superior product, and DID does it for SS prices! Too bad most DID release subjects don't interest me, but it's the point that there is no excuse for SS.

This goes back to what I have said for years.......SS human likenesses no matter the method are terrible.

Come on guys!

Yup. Come on Sideshow.

Back