Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm telling you guys it is brown dyed blue. When you dye heavy hair/wool you get a kind of irredescent sheen where the original color shows through when you tilt it or light it in a certain way. Therefore everyone is technically correct. But the intention was blue. What they ended up with was navy with a brown warm sheen under certain lighting. There is no way in hell that "lighting" could make that brown parka bright navy blue in those shots. And even when color timing you would really have to push the neg to get that pure a color out of an opposite tone. Put intense blue lights on a warm brown color in a bright environment and it doesn't "turn blue".

Look at the light on Ford's face in those pics. Where's the blue/cold light? It's not there.

Now I will leave this never ending conversation.

Blue looks better anyway. And it's not a coincidence that navy blue was used for his Bespin coat in the second half of the movie.

:lol

I just bought two new pairs of pants. In the store they were bluish-grey. As soon as I got them home, they were clearly brown. This is the second time it has happened to me, and it's frustrating because blue looks better.

Why on earth were you buying blue-ish grey pants?

Why would they dye a brown coat blue on set anyway? Just tell wardrobe we need a blue coat -- make one. This wasn't the first Star Wars, they had a budget.

Because they were actually shooting in sub zero temperatures and had to use existing hardcore cold clothing. It wasn't just for looks, wardrobe had to adapt real thermal, heavy wool clothing, Norwegian army I believe. I've been to Northern Norway it's ****ing cold and the coat is blue.

So how do you dye a hard-weather water-proof parka?

Also, WTH, they do wardrobe tests and then they decide in Norway that all the brown coats are wrong and now they want blue? How'd they get brown if all the preprod had blue coat drawings?

This all sounds suspect.

Because they were actually shooting in sub zero temperatures and had to use existing hardcore cold clothing. It wasn't just for looks, wardrobe had to adapt real thermal, heavy wool clothing, Norwegian army I believe.

Norway has an army? When did that happen?

Also, WTH, they do wardrobe tests and then they decide in Norway that all the brown coats are wrong and now they want blue?
This all sounds suspect.

Didn't want people to think Han was in the Norwegian Army?

And what's wrong with grey pants?

Ever hear of the Confederate Army?

I'm telling you guys it is brown dyed blue. When you dye heavy hair/wool you get a kind of irredescent sheen where the original color shows through when you tilt it or light it in a certain way. Therefore everyone is technically correct. But the intention was blue. What they ended up with was navy with a brown warm sheen under certain lighting. There is no way in hell that "lighting" could make that brown parka bright navy blue in those shots. And even when color timing you would really have to push the neg to get that pure a color out of an opposite tone. Put intense blue lights on a warm brown color in a bright environment and it doesn't "turn blue".

Now I will leave this never ending conversation.

Blue looks better anyway.

i can see it now... we are all going to be sending you our coats to be screen accurately dyed...

* BADLY. SO that the original brown color still shows through.

Also, WTH, they do wardrobe tests and then they decide in Norway that all the brown coats are wrong and now they want blue? How'd they get brown if all the preprod had blue coat drawings?

* THE Wardrobe was designed months before the fabrication process. It was designed to be blue, they couldn't find what they wanted so they decided to dye what they could find.

This all sounds suspect.

* No it all sounds very logical.

Answered in your post.

Answered in your post.

Blue_BoyWM10_RS40.jpg

What is it with Han and the varying colors of his clothes in the OT? There's his cream or more yellowy shirt in ANH, his blue or brown Hoth jacket, and his Bespin jacket which appears to be dark blue but is actually more of a grey color.

Here's hoping they can keep his wardrobe a bit more consistent for Episode VII. Lol

The coat does appear to have been dyed. It's sort of blotchy up-close. Maybe it was dyed from neutral/white to brown and the brown dye has got uneven over time and gotten bluish. Because up close it does have what appears to be bluish remnants around the stitching and in the folds.:dunno

Personally, I like the blue because it does look blue some of the time onscreen and yes, because of Kenner. If it looked brown onscreen the whole time, I'd call it a Kenner mistake that had to be rectified, but that's not the case.

The brown makes more sense because all the other Hoth outfits have a brown/beige color scheme, but I guess you could argue the blue sets Han apart so could have been a choice. To me, it's like the ATAT driver helmet/armor - it's been definitively proven to be light/medium grey, but it looks white onscreen so that's the way I want an ATAT driver fig to be.

2earx21.png

The coat does appear to have been dyed. It's sort of blotchy up-close. Maybe it was dyed from neutral/white to brown and the brown dye has got uneven over time and gotten bluish. Because up close it does have what appears to be bluish remnants around the stitching and in the folds.:dunno

Personally, I like the blue because it does look blue some of the time onscreen and yes, because of Kenner. If it looked brown onscreen the whole time, I'd call it a Kenner mistake that had to be rectified, but that's not the case.

The brown makes more sense because all the other Hoth outfits have a brown/beige color scheme, but I guess you could argue the blue sets Han apart so could have been a choice. To me, it's like the ATAT driver helmet/armor - it's been definitively proven to be light/medium grey, but it looks white onscreen so that's the way I want an ATAT driver fig to be.

2earx21.png

Told ya. Thanks for posting. Case closed. You can see the blue dye still on the stitching. I win the internet.

Back