Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which color coat should I get for Han, blue or brown?

You could go for either. I went for brown, but I went back and watched ESB and I think he wears both coats tbh. Some places looks blue, other places is def brown. Prob just a filming wtf error.

Just keep in mind that what you're seeing so far from SSC are prototypes, and production figures often don't match up. Neither does HT nowadays, but you still usually get a very high quality figure.

I was planning to get SS Hoth Han to pair with HT Chewie (then also buy a probe droid) but I remembered SS heads are too big compared to HT's so displaying them together might not be a good idea.

Aww... Was planning on displaying hoth Luke with the ht line..

Just keep in mind that what you're seeing so far from SSC are prototypes, and production figures often don't match up. Neither does HT nowadays, but you still usually get a very high quality figure.

True. But I'm seriously crossing my fingers on this one. I at least want hoth Luke to come out well. Don't like the dx07 sculpt :/

I really love the SS Han hs and I'm sure production paint apps will ruin it. I wish SS will follow HT's method -- cast the heads in flesh color plastic and slightly tint with shadows, no need to entirely cover the heads with paint. I was planning to strip the paint off then recast the head (and hands) so they'll be smaller and in scale with HT. Then paint the head properly so it will look closer to Ford, I'm a scale modeler so painting is easy for me.

True. But I'm seriously crossing my fingers on this one. I at least want hoth Luke to come out well. Don't like the dx07 sculpt :/
Yeah, it would be nice if they somehow knock these out of the park. Maybe if their new supposed "collaboration" with Hot Toys would allow them to use HT's factories? But chances are they aren't going to feel up to par for me personally, on display with other Hot Toys figures.

Yeah, it would be nice if they somehow knock these out of the park. Maybe if their new supposed "collaboration" with Hot Toys would allow them to use HT's factories? But chances are they aren't going to feel up to par for me personally, on display with other Hot Toys figures.

Yeah I'm hoping ht will stand over their shoulders and take the brush out of their hand when they do it wrong :D

Seriously though, this is their chance to show they can compete. If they mess it up, they should just let Trevor sculpt and then give the rest to ht. I'll send it right back if it looks like garbage.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Just a continuity error that has sparked way too much debate over the years. No way to really fix it is there?

You could go for either. I went for brown, but I went back and watched ESB and I think he wears both coats tbh. Some places looks blue, other places is def brown. Prob just a filming wtf error.

Harrison wore a brown coat. His miniature wore a blue one.

To make Hoth look cold they used blue lights/filters so the coat changes from scene to scene.

I ordered one of each, but it would have been cheaper to buy the brown one and a blue light bulb.

Harrison wore a brown coat. His miniature wore a blue one.

To make Hoth look cold they used blue lights/filters so the coat changes from scene to scene.

I ordered one of each, but it would have been cheaper to buy the brown one and a blue light bulb.

Oh gotcha! Yeah I know the brown was used in close up dialogue scenes.

Lol just wait and buy a blue coat on eBay a month or two later.

Han's coat was an existing adapted quilted brown winter coat. They dyed it blue, the brown still showed through under certain lighting and faded over the years on display.
The coat was blue. Does anyone honest think they would accidentally use a completely different color coat on the miniature?
Even the early McQuarrie paintings had it navy blue.
:lol

Han's coat was an existing adapted quilted brown winter coat. They dyed it blue, the brown still showed through under certain lighting and faded over the years on display.
The coat was blue. Does anyone honest think they would accidentally use a completely different color coat on the miniature?

Brown:

FORD+AND+KERSH.jpg

Brown:

C4_HanCoat_52007.JPG

Brown:

dsc00114sjs4.png

Brown:

6c772e82490e8357ec56b209da4bdb28.jpg

Brown:

Screen-Shot-2014-09-01-at-10.38.57-AM-e1409560825945.png

More brown than blue:

tumblr_muz5htlMwh1r3rloeo1_500.jpg

Blue:

image_zpse1bfdf53.jpg

Don't know if the parka makes it easier or harder for the sculpt to look like Han, but I think this looks more like Han than the HT ANH Han proto.

Sideshow_Collectibles_Hoth_Han.jpg

Sounds like history is rewritten there

Yeah I agree the likeness seems a bit better, but it still somehow seems a bit too... vague for some reason (which isn't being helped by the complete lack of expression).

As to the coat color, I always kind of assumed it was blue because of my Kenner action figure, but the screenshots above definitely say otherwise. And I have to admit, brown does look a lot better.

I found these today from people trying to recreate the coat:

The reason we chose to go with the brown is because as a graphic designer, I understand how colors can look with a different color wash over the film. The inside Hoth coloration has a definite blue hue, just look at Chewbacca, he even looks blue in the hanger. We also know that you can shine a blue light on a dark brown to make it look navy blue, but you would have to shine a brown light on a navy blue to get it even close to brown, and there would be no cause for any brown lighting in Hoth. Also, if you look at the scene outside when they shoot the probe droid, it is a natural light, and it looks like a very dark brown. And finally, if you look at all the outfits of the other rebels, they all have earthtone outfits with blue gray boots. Han's Parka doesn't stand out as a total different color from the rest, it blends in with the other earthtones...

Han Solo Hoth Costume with Parka | Jedi Council Forums

Both my wife and I were looking at that very exhibit talking about the color and how the light was affecting the Parka. When who comes along??... Steve Sandsweet himself! We chit-chatted for a bit, then he asked us "What color do you think it is?". We both agreed that it was brown, and he smiled nodded and walked away.
My point is this…
We where right in front of the Parka and we still had enough question to what the correct color was under certain light... that I feel that both colors SHOULD be allowed into the RL as formal.

Rebel Legion :: View topic - ESB Solo Parka

Back