Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intelligent human.

Cattle.

It's an evolutionary process. We can lead by example, and when that fails we'll call in an air strike:

mars1.jpg

:monkey3

Are they that close???
I think I'd give Hot toys the advantage as they make higher quality materials and are generally better with paint apps and sculpts.
But the likenesses are both hit and miss in various areas.

Brown:

FORD+AND+KERSH.jpg

Brown:

C4_HanCoat_52007.JPG

Brown:

dsc00114sjs4.png

Brown:

6c772e82490e8357ec56b209da4bdb28.jpg

Brown:

Screen-Shot-2014-09-01-at-10.38.57-AM-e1409560825945.png

More brown than blue:

tumblr_muz5htlMwh1r3rloeo1_500.jpg

Blue:

image_zpse1bfdf53.jpg

I could quote a load of pics that say otherwise, but I've done it before too many times.
Those are all different coats you have posted by the way, look at the fur on the hood. And also notice the near sepia quality of the pics, everything is warmer than it should be.

I will ask this though, does it sound logical that after principal photography, the best special effects technician and model makers in the world, when asked to build a miniature armatured puppet to double for the on screen actor, would use a different colour for their costume??

:lol

Last edited:
Are they that close???
I think I'd give Hot toys the advantage as they make higher quality materials and are generally better with paint apps and sculpts.
But the likenesses are both hit and miss in various areas.

We don't know if Sideshow is going to mess up their sculpt by inserting a separate eye plate. Or whether HT is going to adjust their sculpt. :panic:

I will ask this though, does it sound logical that after principal photography, the best special effects technician and model makers in the world, when asked to build a miniature armatured puppet to double for the on screen actor, would use a different colour for their costume??

:lol

Yes, because of lighting. Besides, that mucky little toy is a really muddy blue if you ask me. It could be gray, navy or brown.

People in the blue camp have trouble 'letting go'.

The prepro drawings were blue as well. I could just as easily rationalise that the screen coat was intended to look blue so they used this "brown coat" to make it blue with the correct onscreen color timing. Point is it was intended to be blue. Well Ralph McQuarrie thought so anyway.

Bloody colourblind brown fanboys.

The prepro drawings were blue as well. I could just as easily rationalise that the screen coat was intended to look blue so they used this "brown coat" to make it blue with the correct onscreen color timing. Point is it was intended to be blue. Well Ralph McQuarrie thought so anyway.

Bloody colourblind brown fanboys.

That's why I suggested buying the brown coat and a blue light bulb.

If it was intended to look blue they failed miserably because it's plain brown all the time.
Quoting myself:
Ok, I was intrigued by this apparently never ending debate on coat's color. I think it's pretty much evident that the parka is brown, but I admit that the last time I watched ESB on BR and I focused on this detail, sometimes the blue filter make the fact less clear.
So I picked up my dvd ripped copy of 1993 Laserdisc edition of the OT, that according to wikipedia is only time-compressed (no further alteration) and took about 20 snapshots of the scenes involving the infamous coat. Here they are:
1_zpsff9ed79c.jpg

2_zps9c16b622.jpg

3_zpse0455bf1.jpg

4_zps54a7bcb6.jpg

5_zps5c63386f.jpg

6_zps3d515244.jpg

7_zpsf7eae06a.jpg

8_zps010112ee.jpg

9_zps344188a1.jpg

10_zps89fd98bc.jpg

11_zps2eda44d0.jpg

12_zpsc0f26dff.jpg

13_zps945ef477.jpg

14_zpse4f06d85.jpg

14b_zpsd3d507dd.jpg

15_zps69cd2f96.jpg

17_zps8bf0e8a7.jpg

18_zps1e17317a.jpg

19_zpsb0a6503e.jpg

20_zpsca6e8ae2.jpg

21_zpsb28c5dca.jpg

Only that first shot looks blue to me, attributed to lighting. R2's markings look blue, but that coat does not.

I still think its the fact that Han has a blue jacket later -- and that damn toy -- is what make people think they've seen a blue parka.

Personally I think the navy blue would be the better color on him....
Looks better. But it looks to be brown.

I'm telling you guys it is brown dyed blue. When you dye heavy hair/wool you get a kind of irredescent sheen where the original color shows through when you tilt it or light it in a certain way. Therefore everyone is technically correct. But the intention was blue. What they ended up with was navy with a brown warm sheen under certain lighting. There is no way in hell that "lighting" could make that brown parka bright navy blue in those shots. And even when color timing you would really have to push the neg to get that pure a color out of an opposite tone. Put intense blue lights on a warm brown color in a bright environment and it doesn't "turn blue".

Now I will leave this never ending conversation.

Blue looks better anyway.

I just bought two new pairs of pants. In the store they were bluish-grey. As soon as I got them home, they were clearly brown. This is the second time it has happened to me, and it's frustrating because blue looks better.

Back