1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not This ^

;)

So... the guy who seems to think you can confuse a person who's squinting with an Asian person... is right? wtf?:dunno

Yeah, "not this.":lol

Look at your own avatar... if you don't see fuller upper eyelids (which is what characterizes an Asian look, not "squinting":slap) that suggest a slightly Asian look, then maybe you need to squint.

qLyPHjW.png

I would agree that he has an east-asian look about him, but that is accurate to Sir Alec Guinness I think. Also after a quick google search I found this picture that Sideshow totally ripped off the hair for.sir-alec-guinness-9323177-2-raw.jpg

I agree, but I do think it varies with lighting. This pic is a similar era, but I'm not sure anyone would say he has much Asian look in this pic...

alec_guiness_WP.jpg

It's also interesting that in "Miracle of One" - where Guinness played an Asian man (different era, right?,) they felt the need to add make-up appliances to his eyes to make him appear Asian.

guiness2.png

But whether you agree or not, the thing I found bizarrely offensive is people saying that you can confuse a person squinting with an Asian person - and then people agreeing with that utter stupidity. It's like from grade school.:dunno

Good post, but most of my thoughts lie with the "Miracle of One" photo. It was a different time :lol

Yes, things had most certainly changed a quarter century later in the mid 1980's. Oh, oops...

PASSAGE_MAIN1520.jpg

And sorry, the title of the earlier film is "Majority of One."

This thread is so funny. It's like half of us are like: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT LOOKS TURRIBLEEEE WAAAAAAAAAA **** THAT PRICE WAAAAAA while the rest of us are just casually waiting around to see how it looks. I'm surprised no better pics have hit the forum yet.

This thread is so funny. It's like half of us are like: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT LOOKS TURRIBLEEEE WAAAAAAAAAA **** THAT PRICE WAAAAAA while the rest of us are just casually waiting around to see how it looks. I'm surprised no better pics have hit the forum yet.

Do you have this in-hand? I seem to recall you saying you were doing a review in a few days.

Very typical of Sideshow these days. No in hand pictures until it ships (like Jack Burton)-therefore the hs is likely below Star Ace in quality...

Very typical of Sideshow these days. No in hand pictures until it ships (like Jack Burton)-therefore the hs is likely below Star Ace in quality...
Scroll back a few pages. 2 ppl have posted in hand pics on Facebook and they've been shared here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They posted production pictures at the beginning of the month. See here

So... the guy who seems to think you can confuse a person who's squinting with an Asian person... is right? wtf?:dunno

Yeah, "not this.":lol

Look at your own avatar... if you don't see fuller upper eyelids (which is what characterizes an Asian look, not "squinting":slap) that suggest a slightly Asian look, then maybe you need to squint.

qLyPHjW.png

Lol, relax.

First of all I was just joining in the fun.

Secondly, I agree with neither camp. I don't think he looks Asian because he's squinting, but I also don't think he looks Asian to begin with.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm Asian, but this whole discussion about Asian-ness is just hilarious to me. I really don't see it.

It does come with a lot of stuff, but I agree in that the price tag is pretty horrible. But if you look a page or two back, it looked pretty nice with the Hot Toys Ben Kenobi and Sideshow custom.

I feel as though the only difference from final product to prototype is weathering on the clothing/armor and the paint apps on the face. Neither of which look that bad to me though. As far as the piss yellow tunic goes, I'm kinda indifferent. Wouldn't that happen to clothing that has been baked in the sun for a long time?

At the end of the day, these are toys. We should stop looking to Sideshow for realism. I hope they start pricing their figures to be more competitive with Hot Toys. Luke definitely is!

Weathering is a very important aspect of this figure. If SSC screwed up on that too, I'll be pissed off. Very. That was the one thing they had to get right, being obvious that they deliberately screwed u... I mean, decided for that headsculpt that is neither Ewan nor Alec.

I hadn't seen production pictures yet. I harboured hopes it would have more grit and harshness than the proto, silly me. Heavy weathering on the Mythos statue told a history on itself. It was an important part of the statue's beauty. $260 for this silk-smooth fig? My ass. For that cash, no accessories but the backpack, we should be getting something historical in terms of finish, and we are not! Then the yellowing is not realistic at all. It should affect the same everywhere on the tunic, and it does not! To crown it all, the paintjob on the head is light-years behind the proto. I'll be selling that and repainting and old SSC Old Ben one: I've seen do wonders with that one.

Damn, SSC....!
m.

It really is amazing that these figures are pushing $300.

Weathering varies greatly on Sideshow figures. The Luke Snowspeeder had some nice weathering (though the boots were way overkill) yet Dengar lost most of his weathering from proto to production.

They can’t win. They don’t post production pics (X-wing Luke), then they’re hiding something. They post the production pics (Kenobi), they’re also hiding something.

They're certainly not hiding something. If anything their production photos don't do the figure justice, just judging by the in-hand photos.

the head sculpt looks Asian to me. but I like it, so, I can make a custom samurai/ninja type figure.
So, if the figure doesn't sell well, I'm hoping the head sculpt isn't expensive or there could be KOs down the road. To get one
Even the whole Mythos Obi Wan is a great base.

Back