SooSoo SST-073 Lady Protector (Melissa Benoist Supergirl)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why Hot Toys didn't do those. Goldmines if you ask me.
Yeah I just don't get it šŸ¤·
I'm not saying that they aren't popular, BUT I do think some folks overestimate just how popular they are for the numbers of an official product (by HT or anyone else) would have to sell to make it worth it considering the licensing fees they have to pay. At the end of the day, these things have to turn a profit. It's one of the main reasons that HT has greatly reduced their production numbers in more recent releases.

It makes more sense for 3rd party companies to make characters like Linda Carter WW or Helen Slater Supergirl as it's cheaper for everyone and the quantity made are more in line with the ppl who will ACTUALLY purchase. Folks will say they won't one until its time to actually purchase. Like with MarsToys Romero Joker. Figure was popular and ppl begged for a reissue and now you can find that figure for well below retail b/c it was overproduced. The amount of ppl who said they would buy if mars did a reissue didn't end up following through.

Lots of folks will say "they would make so much money if they would just make X character" but it really doesn't always work out that way. HT found that out with Reeve Superman. That figure sat on the shelf and even got discounted. Only became sought AFTER it finally sold out. Sometimes you have to put your feelings aside and think of it from an actual business perspective.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe Reeve sold poorly.
Sat around for a VERY long time after release. Went on discounts (at least from Sideshow and BBTS from what I remember) just as it happened with the ā€˜66 Batman & Robin figures. You could get it on eBay for even cheaper. It only eventually shot up in price when it finally sold out, but ppl who were collecting at that time had ample opportunity to buy one.

Last edited:
MB Supergirl has been #1 on my list for a while, but I really don't like this sculpt. :confused: Likeness is only average (which is to be expected for 3rd party), but it's the expression that really bothers me. Far too serious for this portrayal of the character. Will probably pick it up regardless... could look into ordering a custom sculpt in the future, I s'pose.

the sculpt is like someone scaled parts of her face (like the eyes) up. it looks very strange from certain angles. nevertheless, don't foresee another opportunity to get one in any kind of near future, especially once we finally see milly alcock as the character. so it's a pretty obvious purchase for me.

and hey it got me to dust this account off to post about it so it definitely stirred something in me :lol

Sat around for a VERY long time after release. Went on discounts (at least from Sideshow and BBTS from what I remember) just as it happened with the ā€˜66 Batman & Robin figures. You could get it on eBay for even cheaper. It only eventually shot up in price when it finally sold out, but ppl who were collecting at that time had ample opportunity to buy one.
That genuinely shocks me. I knew the 66 figures were more niche but thought Reeve was hugely popular.

interesting to see how well the InArt Reeve will sell now.

That genuinely shocks me. I knew the 66 figures were more niche but thought Reeve was hugely popular.

interesting to see how well the InArt Reeve will sell now.
Yup, ppl back then were also shocked to still see it in stock for so long if I remember correctly. He's definitely popular. The thing is, not everyone who likes Reeve as Superman was into buying a $210 action figure of him. At that time, that price was pretty hefty for a 1/6 figure, especially a regular MMS release. For comparison, DX06 Jack Sparrow was only around $215 when it went up for PO.

As far as InArt is concerned, I would be interested as well, especially considering The Batman was also an apparently low seller. When it comes to these older versions of characters, I just think that while they may still be popular in an overall cultural sense, they aren't as popular as ppl may think at this level of collecting.

Classic SooSoo sculpt, looks weirdly like every other one.

I used to LOVE the CW shows, The Flash actually got me back into collecting after some years away from that, so I guess I owe a lot to it, but Im good on this. Id rather have a Millie Alcock Supergirl anyway.

I would however take a S1 Arrow figure though, The Flash got me back into collecting but I ultimately like Arrow more. Seen the entire show multiple times, one of my favs.

I'm not saying that they aren't popular, BUT I do think some folks overestimate just how popular they are for the numbers of an official product (by HT or anyone else) would have to sell to make it worth it considering the licensing fees they have to pay. At the end of the day, these things have to turn a profit. It's one of the main reasons that HT has greatly reduced their production numbers in more recent releases.

It makes more sense for 3rd party companies to make characters like Linda Carter WW or Helen Slater Supergirl as it's cheaper for everyone and the quantity made are more in line with the ppl who will ACTUALLY purchase. Folks will say they won't one until its time to actually purchase. Like with MarsToys Romero Joker. Figure was popular and ppl begged for a reissue and now you can find that figure for well below retail b/c it was overproduced. The amount of ppl who said they would buy if mars did a reissue didn't end up following through.

Lots of folks will say "they would make so much money if they would just make X character" but it really doesn't always work out that way. HT found that out with Reeve Superman. That figure sat on the shelf and even got discounted. Only became sought AFTER it finally sold out. Sometimes you have to put your feelings aside and think of it from an actual business perspective.

I definitely see your point and I've more or less given up on Hot Toys producing Carter WW or Slater SG that's why I'm hoping a company like Soosoo or any other third party company might make them. I never thought we'd get a John Wesley Shipp Flash and now we are so I always keep a little hope alive.

Wasnā€™t it on Waitlist at SSC?

I was on the Wait List for several weeks for the EX before it converted.

The Reeve Superman was my very first Hot Toy and Sideshow purchase - I remember discovering 1/6 figures for the first time through an IGN article - 2011?

In retrospect, part of me wishes that Wait List never converted since that 1/6 purchase led me down this rabbit hole of a huge money-sink hobby. :lol

Last edited:
Sculpt isnā€™t great but I donā€™t watch the CW show anyways and this would look good as a stand-in version of the character.
The head sculpt doesnā€™t quite capture Benoistā€™s beauty but the figure as an overall package is pretty good.

I went ahead and ordered from giantoy. The show got pretty bad at the end, but Benoist was perfect casting and charming as hell in the role, so I had to get a figure of her. And plus I like the idea of eventually having all three modern Supergirls on display together.

I went ahead and ordered from giantoy. The show got pretty bad at the end, but Benoist was perfect casting and charming as hell in the role, so I had to get a figure of her. And plus I like the idea of eventually having all three modern Supergirls on display together.

Milly Alcock (along with Sasha and Benoist)?

I didnā€™t really watch Supergirl past Season 1 but recall seeing pictures where the costume was changed toward the latter part of the show.

Soosoo is doing that one, that's one of the reasons I want a Carter WW and Slater Supergirl, to complete my 80's Justice League along with Reeve Superman, Keaton Batman and the Shipp Flash :)
I forgot about that one. I think it's supposed to be the CW version versus the 1990 version, which is what I'm interested inā€”muscle suit with the velour style material and a young Shipp portrait.

Wasnā€™t it on Waitlist at SSC?

I was on the Wait List for several weeks for the EX before it converted.

The Reeve Superman was my very first Hot Toy and Sideshow purchase - I remember discovering 1/6 figures for the first time through an IGN article - 2011?

In retrospect, part of me wishes that Wait List never converted since that 1/6 purchase led me down this rabbit hole of a huge money-sink hobby. :lol
EX sold out before the regular, that's true, so it would make since that you were on the WL for the EX. Regular took awhile before it sold out and was still around after release. I remember I thought about selling mine, but saw how poorly sales were going on eBay that I held onto it. And even though I did hold onto it to eventually get the Yunsil outfit and accurate boots by Unleashed Viper, I didn't make much profit when I did eventually sell it with the custom parts. Maybe if InArt knock it out of the park, they'll have some good numbers.

I know what you mean about this being a money hole type of hobby though. However, I'm not really sure what I would do with my excess money if I wasn't in this hobby. I buy clothes only when I need them, I don't care for fancy restaurants and my work doesn't really allow for too much vacationing.

Gonna say this is one of my most anticipating figure from Soosootoys, always wanted a Supergirl figure and despite me not liking the show i still like Melissa as Supergirl.
Canā€™t wait to add her to my DC Collection.
IMG_7278.jpeg

Yup, ppl back then were also shocked to still see it in stock for so long if I remember correctly. He's definitely popular. The thing is, not everyone who likes Reeve as Superman was into buying a $210 action figure of him. At that time, that price was pretty hefty for a 1/6 figure,...
True, that gen was used to paying less than $9.99 for a 12" figure, and might sooner pay that much to track the clunky one they had as a kid :lol
8ziwvh.jpg

8zixb1.jpg

8ziyue.jpg

Or in this case the Ideal Supergirl
Holly Krypton! $3,000.00 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/155231549843 :google
$200K for the set - https://www.ebay.com/itm/3056215232...=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
Back