Sovereign Studios Newt Project ALIENS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have photos of the finished head over the weekend, guys. I'm working with a cast of the face right now; filling in the back of the head and setting it up for the balljoint configuration. That should go into the final mold tonight and I should be painting/rooting hair by Saturday night.

fabric for coveralls:
newtswatch3.jpg

the head, so far:
newtwip.jpg

Last edited:
That's great news Shawn. I can't wait to see an unpainted head with rooted hair. She actually did have a part in her hair in many scenes as "newt the survivor", although I'm gonna have mine displayed with hair hanging over the sides of her face. But it would be great to have it posed parted to the side too...

Although, you know what, her hair was all over the place anyway, sometimes parted in the middle, other times off to the side, as long as we can play with it, I think that's cool in the gang...

newt1.jpg

Let us know how the outfit is coming along too if ya can. I know you found some great material, and having those pinstripes will only add to the accuracy of the figure. :cool::D

That fabric looks awesome!

Last edited:
Progress shots! Wa-hoo!

Sculpt looks nice! I'll keep my eye out for those final pics this weekend. Shaping up nicely though.

It's hard to tell about the material, I can't really see the "stripes", looks a little more like fine cordaroy. But I'll go with your judgement if you say it's a good match.

Progress shots! Wa-hoo!

Sculpt looks nice! I'll keep my eye out for those final pics this weekend. Shaping up nicely though.

It's hard to tell about the material, I can't really see the "stripes", looks a little more like fine cordaroy. But I'll go with your judgement if you say it's a good match.

Yeah, those are pinstripes Bro. You can see them better below the quarter. Great find Shawn!

I should have photos of the finished head over the weekend, guys. I'm working with a cast of the face right now; filling in the back of the head and setting it up for the balljoint configuration. That should go into the final mold tonight and I should be painting/rooting hair by Saturday night.

fabric for coveralls:
newtswatch3.jpg

the head, so far:
newtwip.jpg

Newt is coming! Are we having fun yet Guys?

Shawn, what do you think of the wrist Locator as "the other item"? What about you other Guys?

locator6.jpg

Last edited:
Really coming in under the wire, for an update promised for the weekend:google Anyway, here she is! Keep in mind, this is a prototype She's too dark, I know. I'm used to painting grown men:lol She needs to be about the color of the Barbie I have her stuck on. Hair may need to be just a bit darker, too. And obviously, I will not be usin Barbie bodies. But I will casting a Barbie/shoulder assembly to mount on the actual body.

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

I gotta say, that looks terrific! I totally see Newt in that expression. I know it's a prototype but it really comes through. Bravo, Shawn!

I agree WG, the expression works well. Shawn, I think you did a great job with the rooted hair -- you got the part just right, the length -- yes, it is a bit yellow for Newt, but nothing that can't be tweaked. Newt of course had dirty blonde hair but the shape and look of it works great. Much better than sculpted hair IMO. I love the option of doing whatever I want with it, pose wise... and that can only happen with rooted hair.

I also like how her forehead looks with that hair, I was wondering how it would show and it shows well IMO.

I don't understand what a Barbie shoulder piece is, but if it works with a ball neck joint with an 8" Mego, I think it'll work fine. Personally I'm gonna have my Newt with her eyes painted up, but that is a great first stab at the proto...

Can't wait to see a mock up of the outfit! And thanks Shawn, for getting us this update by tonight, much appreciated.

Last edited:
VERY NICE!!!!
And when you dirty up that hair, SPOT ON! Just great! See how much better rooted hair is with this character! Hangs and hides her face just so, unlike the way any sculpted hair ever could... Just great! LOVE her face!
By George, I think he's got it! :rock

(Oh, about the color, not too light, as she is dirty. A tad pinker than the barbie base color, but not too much! After some watered down, washed on dirt, you'll have the shade effect you want.)

very very nice man !
Like pjam said , the hair does need to be a little less yellow but thats an easy fix.
Terrific work pal !! :rock

Excellent work, Shawn! That rooted hair really makes all the difference with Newt, and your proto pics clearly illustrate it. Glad to see this project is really coming along quite nicely! :rock

Really coming in under the wire, for an update promised for the weekend:google Anyway, here she is! Keep in mind, this is a prototype She's too dark, I know. I'm used to painting grown men:lol She needs to be about the color of the Barbie I have her stuck on. Hair may need to be just a bit darker, too. And obviously, I will not be usin Barbie bodies. But I will casting a Barbie/shoulder assembly to mount on the actual body.

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

Reposting for anyone who missed it...

VERY NICE!!!!
And when you dirty up that hair, SPOT ON! Just great! See how much better rooted hair is with this character! Hangs and hides her face just so, unlike the way any sculpted hair ever could... Just great! LOVE her face!
By George, I think he's got it! :rock

(Oh, about the color, not too light, as she is dirty. A tad pinker than the barbie base color, but not too much! After some watered down, washed on dirt, you'll have the shade effect you want.)

So, who still wants sculpted hair?

so glad i went for a rooted hair figure :rock looks fantastic man...and its just a prototype as well.....

Keep up the great work and looking forward to seeing a finished figure.

Martin. :banana:banana

So Shawn, I'm curious what the solution will be for the hair color. Do you think dye or paint will work? I'm not certain if that is nylon or cotton 'yarn', but my experience with painting hair has been less than successful. It tends to wipe off as you pose the hair around.

Wor-Gar,
I'll probably just use a different color yarn. It's available in about a hundred colors. I paint hair all the time. I use black paint as a sort of "styling gel" on the Crow figures to get that wet, chunky look. If you're talking Barbie hair, yeah, that's a ^^^^^ to paint. It's damn near bullet proof when it comes to staining/dying. Newt's hair is yarn; the strands split apart and ironed to varied degrees of wavy/straight. Yearn dies easily. If I can't find the right color I could probably soak it in a paint/water mixture to darken it up.

Back