Sphero's Star Wars BB-8 Drone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond in LA and they were of course sold out with signs all over. They did have one on display however so I got to see him up close. My first impression is that he is really glossy/shiny plastic and looks a lot like a toy, albeit a quality tech-gagdety toy but still not truly a high end collectible. That being said, if he would have been in stock I am sure I would have nabbed one.

Debating on actually ordering one though. As the Piper said, it would have been nice if he had some actual details on his body and not just a printed glossy coated surface but I am sure that would have hindered functionality in ways. He reminds me a bit of Weeble Wobbles in person. I used to like Weeble Wobbles when I was a wee tyke.

Yeah, this is not a high-end collectible, but it's a technological marvel. The head runs on small wheels and any detail likely would have interfered with the head moving around smoothly and more importantly stay on (it falls off occasionally when it bumps into things and it's not even that smooth anyway).

They could have included detail on just the head, but then it wouldn't match the body.

There will very soon be a high-end collectible for anyone that wants one, but this replicates something that a collectible cannot do as it comes to life. Posing BB-8 from Hot Toys is not gonna be all that fun. Displaying that and playing with this are probably the way to go. It can take a beating too.

Did anyone who ordered this from amazon have their order shipped yet?

Mines shipped this morning and should be here tomorrow. I'm excited for him but will have BB-8 as more of a desk decoration (and eventually display piece with my other SW figures) than a toy to play with. From looking at some people's photos, BB-8 seems to be in great scale with the other 1/6 scale figures.

Mines shipped this morning and should be here tomorrow. I'm excited for him but will have BB-8 as more of a desk decoration (and eventually display piece with my other SW figures) than a toy to play with. From looking at some people's photos, BB-8 seems to be in great scale with the other 1/6 scale figures.

Interesting! I changed my order early yesterday morning so that I would get him quicker than free prime shipping covers. If mine doesn't ship soon, I'm gonna have to ask for a shipping refund. I just hope they didn't run out of stock before they got to my order, even though I ordered it right when it went up!

EDIT: Yup. They must have skipped over my order or something. I literally ordered it right when it went up, because I knew it would sell out. I saw it sell out around 2 hours after my order. Now I have to wait until they get more in. At least I got the shipping refunded.

He's pretty cool, I originally thought I wouldn't need a Hot Toys version but I do agree, one with more detail would be nice to display. Keep the Sphero for play (as he was intended to be used). Head falls off pretty often, wish that wasn't the case.

Interesting! I changed my order early yesterday morning so that I would get him quicker than free prime shipping covers. If mine doesn't ship soon, I'm gonna have to ask for a shipping refund. I just hope they didn't run out of stock before they got to my order, even though I ordered it right when it went up!

I think you should be fine. Amazon is usually pretty good about not overselling. If something does happen, they usually try to make up for any shortcomings.

He's pretty cool, I originally thought I wouldn't need a Hot Toys version but I do agree, one with more detail would be nice to display. Keep the Sphero for play (as he was intended to be used). Head falls off pretty often, wish that wasn't the case.

The head falls off sometimes of hard surfaces. On carpet it stays on fine.

This makes for a good placeholder until a highly detailed version comes out...it should be enjoyed as the fun piece of tech that it is.

I'm so tempted to get one. My cats would love it but I'd have to make sure the dog was leashed up because if he got it he'd start chewing on it. :)

Nice. Now I don't feel like I have to get it since it's not exactly 1/6 scale. Looks like a fun toy though.
Here's mine next to the Sideshow R2
11988712_10153233403528565_3471989102574520221_n.jpg

This thing is so cute. After watching that promo video, I ordered one on Amazon. Going to be my Xmas gift.

This guy is awesome! I picked him up Friday morning, but haven't had a chance to test him until today! Only had 10 minutes with him, but he's super cute and lots of fun. Definitely worth picking up if you're a Star Wars fan and interested in him at all! He also looks great just sitting on his charger when not in use!

Can't believe bids are ending at $200 plus on ebay when they still are available for retail price.

They are very hard to find and Sphero has sold out of their first wave. Some people are just afraid they won't get one, I suppose. Maybe Christmas buyers. I have one coming this week but I won't keep it if they price is right close to Christmas. Same with my Furbacca.

They are very hard to find and Sphero has sold out of their first wave. Some people are just afraid they won't get one, I suppose. Maybe Christmas buyers. I have one coming this week but I won't keep it if they price is right close to Christmas. Same with my Furbacca.

I would just go with amazon if I wasn't able to secure one. Glad I got one through bestbuy using $100 gift card. My order just shipped out yesterday. I should get mine by the end of the week.

I saw a sample at a local brookstone, the employee was playing with it in store.

I had to ban my dog from it with the head on. She keeps swatting the head off and the last time she did it she bent the antenna. I was able to bend it back fine though but I do not want to chance it and have it break off. My cat is kind of afraid of it. She doesn't really run away but just keeps her distance.

I saw some of these at two different Meijer stores while I was out of town yesterday. Kind of wish I had picked one up now. Verizon stores are on the list of retailers that are going to carry these and my Sister-in-law works at one, so she should be able to pick one up for me with her employee discount. She hasn't seen them in her store yet but she is going to look into it.

Back