Sphero's Star Wars BB-8 Drone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine next to the Sideshow R2
11988712_10153233403528565_3471989102574520221_n.jpg

Ordered two at a fairly local Best Buy before they sold out this afternoon but can't pick them up until tomorrow. Found one at Barnes and Nobles and picked it up so I actually got some time to play with it tonight. It's really cool and moves fairly well on my slightly thick carpet. Haven't been able to get the voice recognition to work yet.

The controls are tough in my apartment. Lots of obstacles to avoid. My cat keep swatting BB-8s head off and bit one of the antennae, so I might just have to stick to the sphere for any play time with her.

Haha, it was the exact same with my cat. Knocked the head off of it 3 or 4 times. The last time he picked up the head by the antennae and tossed it a few feet. What a monster.

I knew I shouldn't have let him watch Terminator with me. So impressionable. :dunno

Haven't been able to get the voice recognition to work yet.

Are you using Android? Works on my IOS devices, even with my Aussie accent :lol

So far he's knocked his own head off twice. Once we he decided to explore behind the fridge (that was a pain and I've now rectified any further fridge adventures) and once when he hit a wall at a bad angle at speed. :thud:

Re: Sphero BB-8

Hopefully some one makes an R2D2. However cool BB8 is, it can't beat the classic.

Local Apple store has this for $149. I would've picked it up but I have Han, Chewie , Leia and C3PO all hitting at the same time

And that's the reason these things are flying off the shelves and selling out. As soon as an item like this makes it past the "nerd news" to the "actual news" **** gets crazy.

Yeah, from what I have seen and read the Sphero company had an allotment of around 10,000 of these for launch. It is unconfirmed if that is a number on their website or if that is the total allotment for a initial global launch.

Sphero got burned a few years back with overestimating demand and the first sphere they launched was a shelf warmer. Disney has a minority interest in this company, so I am sure that the launch was much more controlled this go around. It does appear that the general populous is taking to this product and all signs are leading to this being a very hot holiday item this coming season.

It's kind of crazy to me just how many retailers are carrying this product. Places that I would never think to look at for a Star Wars "toy".

Of course, this merchandising push is bigger than anything I can think for one brand. My fiancé and I went to Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, TRU and Kohls today. Every single store was covered in Star Wars merchandise. Toys, clothes, blankets, pillows, cups, cookie jars, salt & pepper shakers, etc, etc.

It's kind of crazy to me just how many retailers are carrying this product. Places that I would never think to look at for a Star Wars "toy".

Of course, this merchandising push is bigger than anything I can think for one brand. My fiancé and I went to Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, TRU and Kohls today. Every single store was covered in Star Wars merchandise. Toys, clothes, blankets, pillows, cups, cookie jars, salt & pepper shakers, etc, etc.

Its the mouse man. Disney has to get that $4 billion back they fired over to crazy uncle George. :lol

The Hasbro one makes me sea sick watching it--the head rocking back and forth. Though sometimes the sphero does the same thing.

Hasbro one doesn't seem like it can ever get a full head of steam too.

That hasbro bb-8 is junk. Its a low-tech plastic rocker. That floppy head to your point is just distracting. I do think the physical controller appears to be an easier way to control it which is a plus for the hasbro. The controls are complex on the Sphero app.

Although the sphere head it testing my patience as it jettisons when hitting a baseboard frequently,t he sphero's technology and build quality is evident as is the increase in price.

The only thing the hasbro has going for it is the size. But bigger isn't always better. :lol

Re: Sphero BB-8

My sphero fits perfectly under a certain dresser and knocks its head off and gets stuck. I turned the speed down all the way which helps.

I need to take this thing onto an indoor basketball court or somewhere with lots of space and max out the speed. Wonder what the range is.

The range on the box is listed at 30 meters (100 feet) I believe, but I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

Thanks for posting the comparison video, I was looking for that exact thing earlier. Glad I didn't give the Hasbro version a second thought, though I can see their point about it possibly being better for kids. 6 AA batteries that require a screwdriver to replace seems like a waste of money and time though.

I'm on iOS. Using an iPhone 6 Plus. I only tried it the once. I'll have to give it another shot tomorrow.

Ah, I had some difficulties with my iphone 6 but ipad (2 gens old) worked fine including voice control. It really has difficulty connecting with the 6 and a quick review of the sphero site shows a few people with 6 issues.

Back