Spider-Man: No Way Home (December 17th, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you leave Avengers off that list? While Iron Man was the spark, Avengers was the bonfire to what we are getting now. Say what you want about Whedon, but he absolutely nailed Avengers properly. Imagine if that was a meh movie.

Yeah, I used IW/EG as the culmination/climax to the greatest comic book movie run in history.

Iron Man started it all... Avengers is a result of Iron Man's style, pace and humor. Iron Man truly began the Phase 1-3.

REVISED:

1978 - Superman: The Movie
1989 - Batman
2008 - Iron Man + The Dark Knight
2018-19 - Infinity War/Endgame

Will Spider-Man No Way Home be the spark or ingenuity behind any great change going forward? Or just a fun nostalgia of the moment for old fans?

How can you leave Avengers off that list? While Iron Man was the spark, Avengers was the bonfire to what we are getting now. Say what you want about Whedon, but he absolutely nailed Avengers properly. Imagine if that was a meh movie.
Agreed. I still recall how TDKR got all the hype heading into the summer of 2012, but then Avengers blew it away.

Yes amazing movie but doesn’t fit the criteria he’s going for.

XM1 was a group superhero movie way before Avengers was.

I don’t even think Spiderman 1 should be on there.
That's a cheat. X-Men is one property - you can't have an X-Men movie without multiple X-Men. Avengers was the first to unite different superheroes together.

TDK is just a continuation from BB and was just ground breaking in it's quality.

I totally disagree. BB was another version of something we'd seen many times. TDK brought a completely new take on a character no one thought could be reinvented -- Joker. It also brought in a whole new audience for Batman unlike anything I'd seen before. Also, an Oscar nod for performance. And, that Joker storyline has been copied over and over again, even in Bond. It effected Hollywood and changed movies. That makes it significant... just as the 3rd Bond movie did (Goldfinger, not the first Dr No).

Yeah, I used IW/EG as the culmination/climax to the greatest comic book movie run in history.

Iron Man started it all... Avengers is a result of Iron Man's style, pace and humor. Iron Man truly began the Phase 1-3.

REVISED:

1989 - Batman

Will Spider-Man No Way Home be the spark or ingenuity behind any great change going forward? Or just a fun nostalgia of the moment for old fans?
NWH became significant as soon as 3 Spiderman surpassed the return of Han, Luke, Leia.

So did the film run out of money at the end? Spidey punched Goblin like 50 times and Goblin had zero cuts or damage. The rest of the cast showed some damage tho.
I noticed that too. Initially I was surprised that Goblin could take a full force Spidey punch (he definitely was NOT pulling those punches), but I guess it was due to whatever serum he took. I honestly don't remember the details from the 2002 film. :lol

NWH became significant as soon as 3 Spiderman surpassed the return of Han, Luke, Leia.

Well, at the time, everyone was bragging about TFA's numbers. Time does away with moneyed success. But will NWH last?

I don't think it is innovative enough to be considered for that list. Popular, yes. Talked about for a long time, yes. But will its story elements or style truly change Hollywood...? No. If this was the very first "multiverse" story, then that alone might be enough couple with the popularity... but alas, its just another in a long line of "multiverse" nostalgia excuses. This is Happy Candy for a starving audience.

Boxoffice alone is not innovative. Look at Avatar. Who cares it is #1, who cares about the 3D now? No one can sit thru the movie again. It was a fad. Like many Big Movies before it. E.T., Roger Rabbit, and a slew of movies no one watches anymore.

REVISED:

1989 - Batman

You forgot
2021 - The Eternals

:chase

Goblin can handle being punched by a 12 year old
Actually you just cornered Clown into a difficult predicament and you probably don’t even realize it :panic:

Clown said Spiderman should’ve easily lost to DS.

But now he is saying that Spiderman is so super powerful that he easily should’ve taken out GG!

Which one will it be Clown, choose!

LOL

OK, let's a do a List for the Most Forgettable Movies... gonna be a long list.

Let's make it easy for this audience:

Most Forgettable Comic Book Movies:
The Eternals
Daredevil 2003
Fantastic Four
Elektra
Shang-Chi
Hulk
Dick Tracy

There's many more, keep going...

Well, at the time, everyone was bragging about TFA's numbers. Time does away with moneyed success. But will NWH last?

I don't think it is innovative enough to be considered for that list. Popular, yes. Talked about for a long time, yes. But will its story elements or style truly change Hollywood...? No. If this was the very first "multiverse" story, then that alone might be enough couple with the popularity... but alas, its just another in a long line of "multiverse" nostalgia excuses. This is Happy Candy for a starving audience.
I think it will depend greatly on where the character of Spider-Man goes from here. There's been talk of this movie's ending allowing for the character's exit from the MCU, but IMO that won't happen. I think Tom Holland's contract ending is the key. I don't think the fans will go for yet another actor taking over the role, and I believe TH would balk at a situation where Sony walks away from their working relationship with the MCU/Disney.

The Eternals
Daredevil 2003
Fantastic Four
Elektra
Shang-Chi
Hulk
Dick Tracy

FCHOg5SUcAQINNg.jpg

The Eternals
Daredevil 2003
Fantastic Four
Elektra
Shang-Chi
Hulk
Dick Tracy

I've only actually seen Hulk (Ang Lee's?? I've seen that and TIH at any rate), FF and Shang Chi. And Dick Tracy actually - recently - which was ... a decent attempt but didn't really grab me.

I'd rate FF and Hulk above Shang Chi for showing me something new. Shang Chi was a Disney cartoon with some MCU dressing and Kung Fu elements. I won't bother with Eternals, between Shang Chi and Falcon & Winter Soldier I've been burned one too many times. Loki was also MEH. Further to your earlier posts @Wor-Gar , I never did watch E.T. and Roger Rabbit more than once, and I thought Avatar sucked the one and only time I saw it in theatres.

The Eternals
Daredevil 2003
Fantastic Four
Elektra
Shang-Chi
Hulk
Dick Tracy

Forgettable is the wrong word. Some of these are memorable BECAUSE they're so bad. The fact that you rattled them off so quickly proves this. :lol

I totally disagree. BB was another version of something we'd seen many times. TDK brought a completely new take on a character no one thought could be reinvented -- Joker. It also brought in a whole new audience for Batman unlike anything I'd seen before. Also, an Oscar nod for performance. And, that Joker storyline has been copied over and over again, even in Bond. It effected Hollywood and changed movies. That makes it significant... just as the 3rd Bond movie did (Goldfinger, not the first Dr No).
Ah you stated most "influential". Well yes, definitely TDK as it has been ripped many times. I would put BVS as most influential as it destroyed a movie franchise and company. :lol

Avengers is still on that list as WB and now Sony are trying to "build a universe" that incorporates individual characters from other franchise movies into one movie.

Who knows if NWH will be influential cause how many movies can incorporate former actors who played the role to come back many years later to reprise it with another actor now in the role. Flash pretty much was filming while this was about to come out so you can look to BVS and Civil War timing too.

Influential is very open to interpretation. I remember hearing how the movie Gravity would change the movie industry at the time. You could argue GOTG is influential in that Suicide Squad and other team films have got to be goofy all the time.

The Eternals
Daredevil 2003
Fantastic Four
Elektra
Shang-Chi
Hulk
Dick Tracy

Most are ever really forgettable so the list will actually be pretty short.

For instance Catwoman and B&R will always be remembered for being razzies.

Forgettable is not the opposite of influential.

Supergirl and Blade 3 are forgettable.

DD Affleck and Punisher Jane have a cult following lol

Ah you stated most "influential". Well yes, definitely TDK as it has been ripped many times. I would put BVS as most influential as it destroyed a movie franchise and company. :lol

Avengers is still on that list as WB and now Sony are trying to "build a universe" that incorporates individual characters from other franchise movies into one movie.

Who knows if NWH will be influential cause how many movies can incorporate former actors who played the role to come back many years later to reprise it with another actor now in the role. Flash pretty much was filming while this was about to come out so you can look to BVS and Civil War timing too.

Influential is very open to interpretation. I remember hearing how the movie Gravity would change the movie industry at the time. You could argue GOTG is influential in that Suicide Squad and other team films have got to be goofy all the time.

I think you are missing the broader picture. There can be many good films and even influential films inside a bubble, but the one that did it first, the one that set it all up. You shouldn't say 'Speed" counts because it did well and was popular -- "Die Hard" is the reason "Speed" got made. "Iron Man" really set up the world building and multi-film scenarios, even the end credit bits. It defined what the MCU would become. You cannot count anything before it.

Gravity is like Avatar -- highly popular and then just disappeared. There have been many movies like that. Many win best picture Oscars.

Back