1/6 SSC 1:6 Batman - Gotham Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i may be looking at this wrong, but if hot toys put this exact figure out we would be complaining about how terrible and toy-like it looks. it doesn't even look like something they would have made five years ago. is sideshow that far behind that this is acceptable for them?

Re: SSC 1;6 Batman - Gotham Knight

1st Blue version is still better than this by far

Its a very nice "re-do"
do you think the interchangeable face plates will be compatible with the blue version ? or is the face sculpt to different I cant tell from the photos?

i may be looking at this wrong, but if hot toys put this exact figure out we would be complaining about how terrible and toy-like it looks. it doesn't even look like something they would have made five years ago. is sideshow that far behind that this is acceptable for them?

Yep, you are looking at it wrong.

Yep, you are looking at it wrong.

how though? i'm really curious. is it supposed to look like a toy? if you put it next to a hot toy it would look like a plastic mannequin next to a mini human being, so i'm clearly looking at it wrong. it's supposed to look like a retro toy is that it??

I hate those awful heads and ears! They have the chance to produce comic based 1/6 figures and they thought this is the best representation of comic Batman? And who are their art director that believes Batman has got no nose? Nobody could see that in that damn building and say there's a big gap between his lips and nose which is anatomically wrong? What are they thinking? Everybody has to be high there in that house:))) Common we don't deserve that if we are going to pay $200! Every 1/6 figure of them needs to be customized and when you sum of the money which you do that for, you can easily gonna buy a 1/4 statue!

Not crazy about any of the head sculpts.

That being said, I do like the black and grey better than blue and grey. While I like the bat symbol better on the blue version, this one is not bad.
Also, the suit looks slightly darker than the first version, which is a good thing.
Belt also looks thinner which is another good thing. Maybe they left out the foam this time.
On the other hand the belt and suit color could just look that way in the pics.

Bottom Line: Yeh, I'll get it.
Just don't be surprised if it ends up with a Medicom Flashpoint head on it eventually :)

I think this actually looks pretty cool. The body looks a little wacky but the long eared cowl with the grim frown is great. $200 is too much for a fig of this quality but I still like it. $130 would be a lot easier to swallow. I'll wait for in hand pics first.

Looks better with the cape draped over the arms.
596572a930a4d6a74ed0c9f8bd87621f.jpg

If it has double jointed elbows--I'm in like flint!!! If not, will pass, will stay out the game, will save, will hibernate, will take sabbatical--just won't be interested.

Its a very nice "re-do"
do you think the interchangeable face plates will be compatible with the blue version ? or is the face sculpt to different I cant tell from the photos?

Yes, they work with the blue version. Says so on the product page.

how though? i'm really curious. is it supposed to look like a toy? if you put it next to a hot toy it would look like a plastic mannequin next to a mini human being, so i'm clearly looking at it wrong. it's supposed to look like a retro toy is that it??

Well, it's supposed to be a comic based figure first of all. Second, what added touches of realism would you suggest? When I compare this to the Hot Toys Arkham Batman it kicks the snot out of it. Would you rather have a rubber costume for this figure?

Well, it's supposed to be a comic based figure first of all. Second, what added touches of realism would you suggest? When I compare this to the Hot Toys Arkham Batman it kicks the snot out of it. Would you rather have a rubber costume for this figure?
That is a good point. The Arkham Batman looks terrible.... By comparison this is pretty good.

Re: SSC BATMAN Gotham Knight

It's funny that some people are like:

"Well the face looks not that great, but if I get this figure I can still get a custom face!"

Guys, the face is the ONLY thing we see on the picture so far and you are already not happy with that. Even if there was a decent body under that cape, I can not understand how you are willing to spend so much money on doll that you are not 100% satisfied with.

If you want to make SS do more traditional Batmen, then stop buying their artistic interpretations. Obviously the first release sold really well and based on that they concluded that people like their take on Batman. Now they are taking even more artistic freedom with this figure since they are seeing a market for this stuff.

Long story short:

Don't consider buying a 200 bucks figure with a face sculpt you can't stand.

EDIT:

Personally I think they are doing the right thing. Comic accurate figures do not lend them to this scale in my opinion. The reason why someone would design a figure in 1/6 opposed to 1/12 is so that hey can get more detail in there. For likenesses of real human beings like actors this makes sense. There is a lot of detail in faces that is difficult to capture in a smaller scale. Also as humans we are super good at telling when a human face is 'off' so getting the details right is super important.

Upping the scale up on a comic character makes not so much sense since the characters have much less detail when compared to humans. in order to make these figures still look good they had to add details - and you can't argue that there is not a ton of detail in the face of this particular batman. They are trying to strike a balance between comic accuracy and realism. However, this is really difficult since - as a said - we are really good in telling when a face looks off.

Conclusion: SS tries do to the right thing. However the balance between comic book style and realism is hard to find.

I agree with some of your argument. This, why pay $ 200. For something you don't like. I don't like the articulation. Where are the double jointed elbows? Is that too much to ask for? Look at mezco, and DC collectibles--they listen to there base--more articulation! Now look at the buss generated. If you want change, you have to force it. This supposed to be an articulated figure--articulate it!!

In this case you are comparing a figure of a real human being to a comic book interpretation. If Hot Toys was to make a comic book based figure solely on the way it looks on the pages of a comic book, it wouldn't look that much different than Sideshow's.

Back