SSC 1/6 ROTJ Emperor and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC 1/6 ROTJ Emperor and Throne - PPO 12/18 @ 10am PT

PalpsAni.gif

"She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene
I said don't mind, but what do you mean I am the one
Who will dance on the floor in the round
She said I am the one, who will dance on the floor in the round

She told me her name was Billie Jean, as she caused a scene
Then every head turned with eyes that dreamed of being the one
Who will dance on the floor in the round

People always told me be careful of what you do
And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
And mother always told me be careful of who you love
And be careful of what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth

Billie Jean is not my lover
She's just a girl who claims that I am the one
But the kid is not my son
She says I am the one, but the kid is not my son "

I take it you missed it?

I was out when the PPO went live, but I doubt I'd have ordered it anyway. I was never a big fan of the Emperor; and an extra head doesn't really justify the higher shipping to the UK anymore. Might pick up the regular from a local source for completeness...have him do his "I'm playing a large invisible piano" pose.

So I got on the exclusive waitlist about 1 hour after the pre-order went up. My chances should be good, right?

If you want to get really critical...

While not exactly a 1 to 1 comparison it seems that Sideshow has finally outpriced Hot Toys. You could say that could have been with Thrawn but that is a damn big chair and it's kinda complicated. The Emperor and throne is $230. The new HT Stark which includes a robot that's about the same size as the throne and has moving parts is $160. That's a pretty big disparity in price and ignoring the robot and throne the HT figure also simply comes with a lot more stuff and has lights and what not.

I don't see on the SSC site what it's made of but I don't really care. Unless it's made from metal it still doesn't justify the cost.

I don't see on the SSC site what it's made of but I don't really care. Unless it's made from metal it still doesn't justify the cost.

Polystone...which is what gives them the excuse to jack the price up that high.

Personally, I think they could have done it in plastic for about half the cost. and I doubt that many people would have cared.

Well if it was done in plastic they wouldn't have been able to justify the high price. I don't think polystone production-wise is actually all that expensive. Someone pointed out... somewhere... that little statues at dollar store are made from polystone.

I could be totally wrong on that. I'm just speaking from hearsay.

Well if it was done in plastic they wouldn't have been able to justify the high price. I don't think polystone production-wise is actually all that expensive. Someone pointed out... somewhere... that little statues at dollar store are made from polystone.

I could be totally wrong on that. I'm just speaking from hearsay.

This thing is a cool toy, plain and simple. BUT, while I L O V E the fact that there is an extra portrait (which really brings the fun level back into the SW line for me), I have always hoped that SS would amp up the engineering on their products. That said, it would have been cool to get a partially solid plastic throne with lights, which I would have gladly paid a little more for. Furthermore, if GG can put electronics into their mini-bust, which is either polystone or a derivative thereof, then SS can do it with this chair as-is.
Not a criticism, just an observation. I do hope to one day see some electronics in the SS 1/6th products, but for now, MORE DUAL PORTRAITS!!! :) :banana

I wish Sideshow would just make their accessories (like the throne, holochess set, etc) out of injection molded plastic. They can do this, and stick lights in it and it'd look identical to what they have now (probably even better, and be cheaper to ship) and they could price it at less than $20 (look at every toy in the toy store now, all much more involved than simple lights).

But I guess they feel the "collectors" would see the plastic as too "toylike", and/or they want to charge $139 per chair and pretend its some big classy piece of art.

:)

Sean

Last edited:
heck even a mix would be acceptable the base from polystone to add some weight & the chair from plastic with lights, mind you this will be my 1st accessory so I'm not complaining, it will look awesome as is

You ever notice that Star Wars collectors have more issues with prices than other collectors? Weird, isn't it...
:D

You ever notice that Star Wars collectors have more issues with prices than other collectors? Weird, isn't it...
:D

Not me. I think it's worth every penny. And the reason I would choose polystone over plastic - plastic is vulnerable to temperature fluxes while polystone (to the best of my knowledge) is not. Also you get the weight which makes it feel sturdier. I'd rather pay $130 for something that looks, feels and matches my idea of a "collectible" than pay $60 bucks for something that feels like Hasbro or any other "toy" company has made.

Not me. I think it's worth every penny. And the reason I would choose polystone over plastic - plastic is vulnerable to temperature fluxes while polystone (to the best of my knowledge) is not. Also you get the weight which makes it feel sturdier. I'd rather pay $130 for something that looks, feels and matches my idea of a "collectible" than pay $60 bucks for something that feels like Hasbro or any other "toy" company has made.

Yet the one time that polystone piece falls off the shelf, gets bustled around while shipping, you drop it while carrying it to the detolf/shelf, it's toast. Price isn't the only benefit of using plastic. TBH, price wouldn't be a benefit at all. We already know from Boba that Sideshow would charge the same regardless of it being polystone or plastic, but I think the added durability would be a better benefit.

Back