SSC Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Firefly?

IMHO . . .

The figure looks great, but the blacava head sculpt . . . IMHO . . . needs to be in the camo pattern.

Will I still buy it?

Yes.

I do hope Sideshow take note of this and hopefully will make it right for us collectors/enthusiasts, but given Sideshow's mentality . . . we all know better because they know we and others will still buy it.

Maybe they did this deliberately so they can blame collectors like us as an excuse to "pause" the GI JOE line. That would be typical for Sideshow.

And yes, this blows away the hasbro versions.
If Sideshow says this is the first version of Firefly they will be releasing, and another to come... then I will be silent.

At the current rate we won't get another one for about 6 years. The line will be put on "pause" long before it. Do the classics first and release BS versions like CCC and Cobra Sniper later.

How some of you can't see Firefly in this figure is beyond me.

FF1.jpg

Yes his mask should be camo. And the hood MUST be displayed down. But that's definitely Firefly, and he looks pretty damn awesome. I'd be more annoyed if he was Devil's Due inspired but since the tweaks are original SSC interpretations they're easier to swallow.

Firefly never had a uniform color scheme across all vintage media (modern crap like DD and ROC don't count anyway). I'm MUCH more impressed that he comes with a green rifle and walkie talkie than I am disappointed that his uniform has black highlights. He didn't have green equipment in the toon or the comic and SSC might be the first company in history to get that right since the original '84 figure.

As for the black, Firefly's camo was often colored dark in the original Marvel series. In #31 when he and Destro blow up Snake Eyes' cabin his camo is colored so dark his outfit looks as black as Snake Eyes. In #49 his camo isn't a two-tone gray, its gray and BLACK. So the black isn't anything new (it doesn't match the original figure but again they DID match the green equipment which NO ONE ELSE has done since) its really just the hood and goggles. The goggles are easily disgarded and the hood can just as easily be worn down on his back.

I can be as picky as they come with regard to staying true to the original designs, but simpler characters are easier to screw up. A hood on Duke would have ruined his uniform. But Firefly has had so much crap on his legs, waist, back and in his hands that I think its easier for things like his hood to get lost in his gear. Its absolutely bewildering that they didn't just go with their own concept art but this is one badass interpretation of a badass figure.

True, you can see Firefly in the figure. The main gripe is we were shown the concept art, that looked identical to a modern version of the 1984 Firefly and when the figure is shown, looks nothing like that and has a winter theme.

I can understand your dissapointment because I know he's your favorite guy. I just think a lot of people are acting like he's another CCC (ridiculous variant figure that's "off" from head to toe) when he's really more of a Bradstreet CC (cool looking figure with some misguided "tweaks" to the classic costume.)

At this rate . . . we'll see the following . . .

1. Sideshow's Major Blood will have the eye patch on the wrong eye and no bionic arm, but probably a bionic leg.

2. Sideshow's Torpedo and Cobra Eel figure will be one in the same with different colors and different accessories.

3. Sideshow's Dial-Tone will be a female with a mustache instead of male.

4. Sideshow's Lady Jaye figure will look like Scarlett.

5. Sideshow's Scarlett will look like Lady Jaye.

6. Sideshow's Crimson Guard figure will be the same as a COBRA TROOPER, but just a red outfit. Everything else stays the same.

Thank you Sideshow.

:duh

I can understand your dissapointment because I know he's your favorite guy. I just think a lot of people are acting like he's another CCC (ridiculous variant figure that's "off" from head to toe) when he's really more of a Bradstreet CC (cool looking figure with some misguided "tweaks" to the classic costume.)
--

Khev:

With all due respect . . .

We're disappointed and going through the emotions right now and many (i.e. like myself) are venting in typical Sideshow Freaks fashion.

Come Monday . . . we should have it out of system hopefully and those of us who still truly want the figure "as is" will end up pre-ordering it (i.e. like me).

At this rate . . . we'll see the following . . .

1. Sideshow's Major Blood will have the eye patch on the wrong eye and no bionic arm, but probably a bionic leg.

2. Sideshow's Torpedo and Cobra Eel figure will be one in the same with different colors and different accessories.

3. Sideshow's Dial-Tone will be a female with a mustache instead of male.

4. Sideshow's Lady Jaye figure will look like Scarlett.

5. Sideshow's Scarlett will look like Lady Jaye.

6. Sideshow's Crimson Guard figure will be the same as a COBRA TROOPER, but just a red outfit. Everything else stays the same.

Thank you Sideshow.

:duh

You hit the nail on the head! :rotfl

Sarcasm?

I really hope so. I have enjoyed many of your posts but god that is just a silly premise.

Only douchebags take my sarcastic posts seriously. :p

How some of you can't see Firefly in this figure is beyond me.

FF1.jpg

Yes his mask should be camo. And the hood MUST be displayed down. But that's definitely Firefly, and he looks pretty damn awesome. I'd be more annoyed if he was Devil's Due inspired but since the tweaks are original SSC interpretations they're easier to swallow.

Firefly never had a uniform color scheme across all vintage media (modern crap like DD and ROC don't count anyway). I'm MUCH more impressed that he comes with a green rifle and walkie talkie than I am disappointed that his uniform has black highlights. He didn't have green equipment in the toon or the comic and SSC might be the first company in history to get that right since the original '84 figure.

As for the black, Firefly's camo was often colored dark in the original Marvel series. In #31 when he and Destro blow up Snake Eyes' cabin his camo is colored so dark his outfit looks as black as Snake Eyes. In #49 his camo isn't a two-tone gray, its gray and BLACK. So the black isn't anything new (it doesn't match the original figure but again they DID match the green equipment which NO ONE ELSE has done since) its really just the hood and goggles. The goggles are easily disgarded and the hood can just as easily be worn down on his back.

I can be as picky as they come with regard to staying true to the original designs, but simpler characters are easier to screw up. A hood on Duke would have ruined his uniform. But Firefly has had so much crap on his legs, waist, back and in his hands that I think its easier for things like his hood to get lost in his gear. Its absolutely bewildering that they didn't just go with their own concept art but this is one badass interpretation of a badass figure.

I wanna know, other than the TMP and phone, how the hell people are seeing green in that pic. :dunno

--

Khev:

With all due respect . . .

We're disappointed and going through the emotions right now and many (i.e. like myself) are venting in typical Sideshow Freaks fashion.

Come Monday . . . we should have it out of system hopefully and those of us who still truly want the figure "as is" will end up pre-ordering it (i.e. like me).

Just keep in mind that the "vent and then preorder anyway" approach doesn't actually give SSC any reason to change their gameplan with this line. :)

The main problem with SSC's Firefly as I see it is that this is the first figure they've made where they don't give any option to make him "classic." SE, CC, and Duke all have modern and vintage weapons to pick and choose from and CC's Bradstreet cloak is easily removed. If you take off Firefly's coat then what is he wearing, a black turtleneck?

I really hope they aren't giving us this version in order to double dip with an SDCC exclusive variant based off the concept art.

I wonder why his backpack and bandolier look black in some pics and grey in others.

jucw1z.jpg

a2f2w5.jpg

vg7879.jpg

I wonder if thenam is correct in suggesting that his mask is actually grey as well.

Just keep in mind that the "vent and then preorder anyway" approach doesn't actually give SSC any reason to change their gameplan with this line. :)

The main problem with SSC's Firefly as I see it is that this is the first figure they've made where they don't give any option to make him "classic." SE, CC, and Duke all have modern and vintage weapons to pick and choose from and CC's Bradstreet cloak is easily removed. If you take off Firefly's coat then what is he wearing, a black turtleneck?

I really hope they aren't giving us this version in order to double dip with an SDCC exclusive variant based off the concept art.
--

I would not be surprised if they did that.

I wonder why his backpack and bandolier look black in some pics and grey in others.

jucw1z.jpg

a2f2w5.jpg

vg7879.jpg

I wonder if thenam is correct in suggesting that his mask is actually grey as well.

It's gray, more specifically a charcoal color, not black. It's closer to the color of his sweater. You can actually seen the difference in contrast between the mask and knee pads which are black. And I'm surprised to see they gave him a murse (those annoying Go-bags like Duke has). :lol

I wouldn't be content to see just the mask changed. Those patches need to go, and it would be really great if the jacket could be removed to reveal a gray camo shirt. Without the bulk that the jacket adds, there couldn't be room for a second bandolier, and I want one. I don't like the machine gun either.

This figure makes me really grumpy. The green weapons are great. The volume of accessories is great too. I even like the backpack. So close, but there are miles to go.

I will get one sure .
But does anyone else see a massive re-use of already existing parts.
duke bandolier and back pack
S.E Pistol and knife Sheath and holster
C trooper Knee pads and hands
I may be wrong . but it looks like another way to pump out more expensive figures utilizing as few new parts as possible .
anyway my rant is done ... Ill still get the dang thing :)

Back