SSC General Hawk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Destro, Zartan, Baroness and Scrap Iron will finish off the core Cobras for me (unless a miracle happens and they do Wild Weasel).

Getting Hawk has me rethinking how my Joe line up will go. I was completely uninterested in the character until I saw the figure.

Destro, Zartan, Baroness and Scrap Iron will finish off the core Cobras for me (unless a miracle happens and they do Wild Weasel).

Getting Hawk has me rethinking how my Joe line up will go. I was completely uninterested in the character until I saw the figure.

Dont forget Major Bludd

I love this line. Imo, this is THE line to get. With that said, not all are perfect out of the box. Paint apps are horrible on some of them (Flint's head, Dukes' hair), how about the short pants on the Red Ninja? The gripping hands that cant hold shiiit. The long debate about Firefly that I wont get into. Plus, I HATE, HATE the pro body. I know some of you have not had any problems, but mine have been 50/50. The last one being beach head with the cracked ab. If you guys are happy with that, more power too you. Some of us are not. That is why we feel the need to mod.

Snake Eyes is the only one I changed, and that was to a Saturday Toys, which is basically a Pro with bigger shoulders. I didn't even use the whole thing. :dunno

SS and SE are my only swaps.

I could have sworn you had swapped more than those two (must be all the custom Joes you make I'm thinking of). I've swapped all of mine to TT mainly to give them better articulation. I don't like how the Pros arms stick out and the legs don't rotate much.

These Joe figures IMO are as good as any military product out from anyone. The paint apps and details of this line are just really top notch and don't need mods to be as good as anything out there. Sure some might to make themselves feel better but thats not an issue with the figure so much as its an issue with the person.
Have you seen the recent HT Platoon figures? They cost about the same as Joes MSRP, and are heads and shoulders above them in terms of overall quality and paint apps. I still choose Joes over those because of the license, but Sideshow simply can't compare with HT in terms of 1/6th scale excellence. Only exceptions I've seen so far are some of the armored Star Wars guys. Sideshow is pretty good, and they are making slow, incremental improvements, etc. But they still seem about 3-4 years behind HT IMO. I'm not familiar with DiD and other military figures so I can't say one way or the other, but the paint apps from some other companies seems to be getting better and better while Sideshow is hit-and-miss (often miss unless you are dealing with a masked head), and they don't seem interested in really competing with other companies in the paint apps game.

As for the Pro body, I'm not a fan. Floppy joints, now ratchet knees, can't compete with the True Type on its best day IMO. But this is one of those areas where SS is making slow improvements, so maybe they'll be able to compete one of these days.

I do think this Hawk is everything he needs to be. I just hope the production jacket ends up looking as good as the prototype.

Yeah, I've seen pics of them and whichever one was at Comic-Con and I don't think they are head and shoulders better. I think SS paint apps in the Joe line has been really good. Flints hair was kind of eh but other than that they look really good.

I've never had a pro body with floppy joints and the ratchet knees don't really bother me at all. So I don't see the TT being better than the pro on its best day.

Well, consider yourself fortunate. There is zero chance my Storm Shadow could stand up without his stand.

This is a production piece that looks like Sideshow's prototypes:

66ee1c27.jpg

vs.

DSC07977.jpg

Even ignoring the hair, these are night and day. I'm not trying to run down Sideshow or anything, but to say that their military figures are as good as anyone else out there. . .cannot agree.

Well, consider yourself fortunate. There is zero chance my Storm Shadow could stand up without his stand.

Even ignoring the hair, these are night and day. I'm not trying to run down Sideshow or anything, but to say that their military figures are as good as anyone else out there. . .cannot agree.

Guess, I'm lucky.

Well, DC shot there isn't any good at all. There are plenty of shots mine included that show Flints paint job is fine. Well, I have no problem saying or truly feeling that way. Sorry.

Guess, I'm lucky.

Well, DC shot there isn't any good at all. There are plenty of shots mine included that show Flints paint job is fine. Well, I have no problem saying or truly feeling that way. Sorry.

Let me NAM you for a second Josh...Flint's paint apps make him look like caked on makeup coke whore on the floor of the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas. No it isn't fair to compare Barnes and Flint's production paint apps but Flint's is dog ____. And I LOVE SS's JOE line.

Have you seen the recent HT Platoon figures? They cost about the same as Joes MSRP, and are heads and shoulders above them in terms of overall quality and paint apps. I still choose Joes over those because of the license, but Sideshow simply can't compare with HT in terms of 1/6th scale excellence. Only exceptions I've seen so far are some of the armored Star Wars guys. Sideshow is pretty good, and they are making slow, incremental improvements, etc. But they still seem about 3-4 years behind HT IMO. I'm not familiar with DiD and other military figures so I can't say one way or the other, but the paint apps from some other companies seems to be getting better and better while Sideshow is hit-and-miss (often miss unless you are dealing with a masked head), and they don't seem interested in really competing with other companies in the paint apps game.

As for the Pro body, I'm not a fan. Floppy joints, now ratchet knees, can't compete with the True Type on its best day IMO. But this is one of those areas where SS is making slow improvements, so maybe they'll be able to compete one of these days.

I do think this Hawk is everything he needs to be. I just hope the production jacket ends up looking as good as the prototype.

Yeah,the Ratchet knees on the Joe line is my only complaint...why did Sideshow change this? Duke,Flint,Firefly etc were perfectly fine and the joints were great (even the knees)...So Sideshow changes the knees to a tough to pose,ratchety knees? when they didnt even need to change them to begin with.....I wish they would go back to what they had,but unfortunately it doesnt seem like a petition or anyone is really listening at Sideshow about this

Let me NAM you for a second Josh...Flint's paint apps make him look like caked on makeup coke whore on the floor of the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas. No it isn't fair to compare Barnes and Flint's production paint apps but Flint's is dog ____. And I LOVE SS's JOE line.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:hi5::thud:

Back