SSC General Hawk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow's $400 premium formats cant compete with HT in terms of paint apps. Even $600+ 1:1 busts are weak compared to HT. Thats been the case for a few years now, so :dunno

I love this line. Imo, this is THE line to get. With that said, not all are perfect out of the box. Paint apps are horrible on some of them (Flint's head, Dukes' hair), how about the short pants on the Red Ninja? The gripping hands that cant hold shiiit. The long debate about Firefly that I wont get into. Plus, I HATE, HATE the pro body. I know some of you have not had any problems, but mine have been 50/50. The last one being beach head with the cracked ab. If you guys are happy with that, more power too you. Some of us are not. That is why we feel the need to mod.

:lecture Grabbed some parts from TA and will be working on Flint and Beachhead soon. Not sure if I'm going to do Duke or Hawk since I don't like the heads and their paint apps, and not sure what I'd use to replace them.

Let me NAM you for a second Josh...Flint's paint apps make him look like caked on makeup coke whore on the floor of the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas. No it isn't fair to compare Barnes and Flint's production paint apps but Flint's is dog ____. And I LOVE SS's JOE line.

Then we agree to disagree then.

And to be clear again--I don't want to go too far making that kind of comparison, because, as Deak and King Darkness suggest, it is clear that the two aren't comparable on some levels. But if someone is going to say that the Joes are "as good as any military product out from anyone," I think it is fair to point out that this is only true if you are talking about license and characters. The Sideshow Joes are actually superior to any other military product out there in my opinion, because I don't give two ____s about random military guys. But in terms of quality, not even in the same league.

Nope. And that's because they have ADD and 1:6 is one of their bottom priorities. I'd venture to guess that stellar paint apps aren't much higher.

I don't care though. I don't need my toys to look like miniature human beings. I reserve my smugness for things I consider to be a lot more important.

Nope. And that's because they have ADD and 1:6 is one of their bottom priorities. I'd venture to guess that stellar paint apps aren't much higher.

I don't care though. I don't need my toys to look like miniature human beings. I reserve my smugness for things I consider to be a lot more important.

The way they handle the line and how they react to us fans (extra Firefly head) I'd say that 1/6th is still a priority with some guys within SSC. There is some love put into these figures, and I can see that. I know polystone is their bread and butter but yeah they gotta step their game up in some areas.

Re: 1/6th scale figures as a component of Sideshow's business model, it clearly is not their focus across the board, as they only have (I believe) two viable 1/6th scale lines at the moment--Star Wars and GI Joe.

Having said that, the 1/6th scale component of those lines are critically important IMO, and so I think they give them a fair amount of attention. The work on the Joes from the creative stage, at least, tells me that they clearly aren't phoning the line in by any means.

But one thing to consider is this--Sideshow is a business and in some ways general laws of business are going to apply to whatever they do. There is no legitimate competitor to the "high end" 1/6th scale licenses Sideshow is pursuing. If you want non-Hasbro Joes, you go with SSC. If you want reasonably scaled Star Wars figures with decent sculpts, accessories, etc., then you go with SSC. Having a monopoly on those respective products means the incentive to compete with other companies in the paint apps/clothing/body game is restricted a bit.

Re: 1/6th scale figures as a component of Sideshow's business model, it clearly is not their focus across the board, as they only have (I believe) two viable 1/6th scale lines at the moment--Star Wars and GI Joe.

Having said that, the 1/6th scale component of those lines are critically important IMO, and so I think they give them a fair amount of attention. The work on the Joes from the creative stage, at least, tells me that they clearly aren't phoning the line in by any means.

But one thing to consider is this--Sideshow is a business and in some ways general laws of business are going to apply to whatever they do. There is no legitimate competitor to the "high end" 1/6th scale licenses Sideshow is pursuing. If you want non-Hasbro Joes, you go with SSC. If you want reasonably scaled Star Wars figures with decent sculpts, accessories, etc., then you go with SSC. Having a monopoly on those respective products means the incentive to compete with other companies in the paint apps/clothing/body game is restricted a bit.

image.php

And to be clear again--I don't want to go too far making that kind of comparison, because, as Deak and King Darkness suggest, it is clear that the two aren't comparable on some levels. But if someone is going to say that the Joes are "as good as any military product out from anyone," I think it is fair to point out that this is only true if you are talking about license and characters. The Sideshow Joes are actually superior to any other military product out there in my opinion, because I don't give two ____s about random military guys. But in terms of quality, not even in the same league.

Then as I said to deak we will have to agree to disagree. For me the SS Joes are as good as anything out their military wise and I mean that. I say that and truly mean it and if someone else feels different thats cool by me.

:duff You're all right Rusty!

:1-1:

Well, I think we can all agree that the Heath Ledger likeness is lacking on Hawk. And that is disappointing :monkey2

Wait, is this a HT thread? Shall we discuss $200 custom jackets and the inaccuracies of 1/6th scale clown socks? Oh my monocle just fell out!

While the paint aps aren't HT quality, the accessories are great. The hand guns, rifles, laser gun, ninja weapons, fantasy weapons all kick ass. The outfits are nice as well. A figure doesn't need out of this world paint aps to be a good figure.

And Flint is the only bad one. Sure Dukes hair is weak but look at the great work on Fireflys flesh and eye paint, same with the Cobra troopers, Storm Shadow, Beachhead. All nice paintwork.

There are several figures in the line there is nothing wrong with them.

Back