SSC General Hawk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously has tried a true type head on an officer. lol... Those things have their own gravitational pull.

Actually, I put Hawks head on Cobra officer body with a TT life like neck, I thought it looked huge. Then I put the Hawk head on a converted TTL body, wheich stood taller and due to the taller height should've helped the proportions, but to no avail, it still looked huge. I don't have any of the pro 2 bodies, or TT bodies, but so far in my oppinion, the figure would have to be 13inches tall to look right.

Also who the h**l at SideShow is sculpting the unmasked heads anyway?
A. They are too big
B. Duke, and Flint suffer from Franken forehead. Was a different sculpter used to do the maksed faces?

Since I've turned this into a rant. . .why doesn't SS incorporate ankle joint swivels like on TT, or TTL's, Soldier Story, etc?

Sideshow has their own style...some dig it....some don't....I don't own the Hawk figure yet so I can't speak on the size of his cranium.

You could always apply for a job if you think you could do better.

This isnt an insult... just an honest suggestion. It's very easy to nitpick the work of someone else.

Adrosi

If you think I'm being critical, it's only becasue I love the property so much, however there is no excuse for out of whack proportions. In the end I supoose this comes down to a judgement call, or ones personal tastes, BUT I can tell you the Gen Hawk head is by far the largest 1/6 scale sculpt I own, even larger than the prison break TT shaved head that was relesed on the last batch of TTs in 2010.

Firefly and Beachhead are a good size, but if SS keeps the unmasked sculpts the current size there is no way I will buy a joe. I'll just wait for the breakdowns, and do my own bashes.

I'm not a sculpter, but if I were art director I would bring a stop to the oversized melons.

Back to talking about Gen Hawk. . .By the way long time lurker, 1st time poster. . .I LOVE gi joe, and for the most part really like what SideShow has done so far. . .That said, I bought a Hawk head, and was totally disappointed!

The sculpt is good enough but the size is, the proportion of the head is enormous! What was SS thinking? Does any one else feel this way? Compared to Soldier Story, or TTL/ Toys Citys it's huge. In my oppinion Toys City's head sculpts are the perfect size, if only Side Show could incorporate their size sculpts on a swivel neck, that'd be awesome! I have to mention, this is the 1st un masked SS Joe sculp I own. . .I have the Firefly sculpt and Beach head masked sculpts and think they're size/ proportion is right on the money. . .but Hawk's melon is ginormous.

Thoughts?

Actually, I put Hawks head on Cobra officer body with a TT life like neck, I thought it looked huge. Then I put the Hawk head on a converted TTL body, wheich stood taller and due to the taller height should've helped the proportions, but to no avail, it still looked huge. I don't have any of the pro 2 bodies, or TT bodies, but so far in my oppinion, the figure would have to be 13inches tall to look right.

Also who the h**l at SideShow is sculpting the unmasked heads anyway?
A. They are too big
B. Duke, and Flint suffer from Franken forehead. Was a different sculpter used to do the maksed faces?

Since I've turned this into a rant. . .why doesn't SS incorporate ankle joint swivels like on TT, or TTL's, Soldier Story, etc?

The ankles have swivel joints. And the heads are fine. Hawk's head is proportionate to the HT figures and Art Figures I have right here on my desk. Are you just picking up miscellaneous parts and bashing the figures? If that's the case, you should really stop being cheap and pick them up, they're worth the investment and look perfectly fine on the bodies they're made for.

I didn't know they had ankle ball joints/ swivels? I've never purchased a complete "new" SS joe. I've come darn close several times, but just kept hopin gthe quality would get more on par with Soldier Story. When I bought the loose Hawk head, and was so surprised with it's large size, I was gratefull I didn't fork out the cash for the complete figure. I'll take your word though and buy a Pro 2 body and boots, to see how it fits/ looks.

I didn't know they had ankle ball joints/ swivels? I've never purchased a complete "new" SS joe. I've come darn close several times, but just kept hopin gthe quality would get more on par with Soldier Story. When I bought the loose Hawk head, and was so surprised with it's large size, I was gratefull I didn't fork out the cash for the complete figure. I'll take your word though and buy a Pro 2 body and boots, to see how it fits/ looks.

Scroll back and look at King Darkness' pics. The head isn't big at all. And I'd argue that the quality of the gear is easily on par with SS, if not slightly better. The BDUs still leave a bit to be desired, but everything else is ACE! As for the ankles, think of giant HT wrist pegs. Sideshow's ankles are pretty much that.

I don't have Hawk but he looks proportionate in pics to me.

What you can do is take a measurement of his head and compare that to the full upright standing posture of the body's length (top of head to bottom of feet). Proportionate would be 7 & 1/2 head lengths to the body (including the head). You can do this with a Compass.

And even if it's less, the 7 1/2 head measurement is an average, there are people who don't quite measure up exactly.

Actually, I love tk0083's, and scifi67's gen hawk pics. Scifi67 had a cool bash, love his jacket--anyone know what manufacturer? It's on pg 143 approx.

So far I prefer the Exclusive Hawk Scuplt. In hand though, his head still looks huge. I took some comparision photos to show what I mean. I'll get a pro 2 body to see if it makes a diff, or maybe a HT body.

Actually, I love tk0083's, and scifi67's gen hawk pics. Scifi67 had a cool bash, love his jacket--anyone know what manufacturer? It's on pg 143 approx.

So far I prefer the Exclusive Hawk Scuplt. In hand though, his head still looks huge. I took some comparision photos to show what I mean. I'll get a pro 2 body to see if it makes a diff, or maybe a HT body.

Yes, however:

attachment.php

That's a VERY poor comparison. It's like you're setting up the shot to sell us with a forced perspective. You have him on a longer neck adapter, judging the head by the pinheaded Oded sculpt next to him. He looks in scale to Firefly and that wannabe Spock sculpt. I don't get why you're continuing to try to argue this with people who actually own the whole figure and can compare him to how he was meant to look as well as with other Joe figures produced by Sideshow. :cuckoo: :huh

The head is fine, looks good on the Pro. Also I love Soldier Story but their heads are teeny-tiny. Peanut heads. And NAM I think that Night Ops SS guy is supposed to be Gerard Butler.

Back