SSC Green Lantern 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how durable the material chosen for the outfit on this figure is. I hope it doesn't start cracking/ flaking off in a couple of years.

I think I've already seen this kind of fabric in a silver version. If it's similar, I don't think you have to fear anything. There's no rubber involved, just fabric. The only downside is that it's not stretchy, which explains that it doesn't look tight fitting on the figure.

Anybody not looking at reviews really needs to get their heads checked out. I almost bought a Cub Cadet tractor that was a complete lemon but after I read about 50 reviews I made the smarter choice to the John Deere which was even the same price.

I'd agree with that. But with toys, I would mention as a word of caution, many reviewers use a light-box setup, very brightly lit. That type of lighting creates a color palette that may not be accurate to what you will receive. Also, in some ways, the bright lighting highlights certain details, but washes out others. Something to keep in mind...

Matt, I have a question since it seems like you're fielding them all. . .

Any chance of Zuckuss, 4-LOM and Dengar sixth scale figures before prices reach $300?

I guess what I'm saying is. . . before the end of 2016??

I also have a question Matt.

I know the question was mentioned, but never fully clarified.

The mask was sculpted separately. Does it mean it's removable and we have a full likeness under it or just that its separate but glued on?

Thanks for answering!:)

Matt. All credit to you for coming into the lion's den and answering questions. We appreciate it.

I would just like to understand why Sideshow are doing "your interpretation" of these classic, iconic characters instead of basing them on existing material. You did your interpretation with G.I. Joe, now DC and soon with Marvel. I know i speak for a lot of collectors when i say as lifelong fans of these characters, we don't want the Sideshow designers interpretation of that character, we want that character as he was taken from the page of comicbook and made into a sixth scale figure. Same as you do with Star Wars for example.

Take the upcoming Wolverine for example. I just can't understand why you changed the design? Why not be more faithful to the source material? Why not base them from definitive versions of these characters. For Batman that might be Neal Adams. For Spidey it might be McFarlane. For the X-Men it might be Jim Lee. I wanted this

the_wolverine_brown_costume.jpg

but we'll be getting this

SDCC-2014-Sideshow-Marvel-Sixth-Scale-Figures-007.jpg

Racetrack, I asked the same thing and I believe Matt said something along the lines of they wanted to take the line into a new direction or something like that. I am just going to assume all future releases will be SSC artistic interpretations. The Wolverine is fine, although I will hold out until the yellow/blue version (assuming that is made).

Matt. All credit to you for coming into the lion's den and answering questions. We appreciate it.

I would just like to understand why Sideshow are doing "your interpretation" of these classic, iconic characters instead of basing them on existing material. You did your interpretation with G.I. Joe, now DC and soon with Marvel. I know i speak for a lot of collectors when i say as lifelong fans of these characters, we don't want the Sideshow designers interpretation of that character, we want that character as he was taken from the page of comicbook and made into a sixth scale figure. Same as you do with Star Wars for example.

Take the upcoming Wolverine for example. I just can't understand why you changed the design? Why not be more faithful to the source material? Why not base them from definitive versions of these characters. For Batman that might be Neal Adams. For Spidey it might be McFarlane. For the X-Men it might be Jim Lee. I wanted this

Not being a Marvel reader, or knowing too much about Wolverine – I really, really like that figure, I can understand the reasoning behind the tweaks to his costume whilst still retaining the look of the character...

...but most importantly the brown material on his top MATCHES his boots... imagine how ridiculous he'd look if they didn't (sarcasm's still allowed right?!?)!

Matt, it looks like youve opened pandora's box on the questions/insight stuff. I remeber the old "ask sideshow" where ss would actually answer 10 questions a month (roughy) and post the answers. Ss might want to consider bringing that back given the interest shown in some of the more nuanced aspects of the field. Also good PR imo. Matt's done a fine job helping some of us understand a few of the issues with which ss deals in its operations.

Matt, I have a question since it seems like you're fielding them all. . .

Any chance of Zuckuss, 4-LOM and Dengar sixth scale figures before prices reach $300?

I guess what I'm saying is. . . before the end of 2016??

I don't want to upset the moderators by answering too many non GL questions, so please forgive me and I'll quickly answer this and a couple others but I'll eventually get over to some other threads. Sorry - I'm not the best at navigating the protocol here and I do apologize.

To answer your question - 2 of the 3 are in current development. One is planned for 2016, we may try and get the other in the tail end but that will require further planning on our end in regards to factory capacity.

I also have a question Matt.

I know the question was mentioned, but never fully clarified.

The mask was sculpted separately. Does it mean it's removable and we have a full likeness under it or just that its separate but glued on?

Thanks for answering!:)

It was sculpted and will be injected separately but it will be permanently attached when it is delivered to the customer. it is not meant to come off and since it is keyed into the face, there is not a sculpted face behind it.

Thanks for asking for this to be clarified.

Matt, I think I can speak for the mod team as a whole when I say that you can post about whatever product, production process, decision-making consideration, etc. that you please here. Your presence is very much appreciated, for whatever it is that you feel like addressing.

I think this perfectly illustrates Matt's previous answer to this question. . . there are about 5 different definitive versions of each character. You make one definitive and it's not someone else's definitive, so you're always going to leave someone upset. You're never going to make everyone happy, so just do your own thing.

Another issue is, comic book artists are allowed to "define" or "re-interpret" a character's costume, but apparently, Sideshow is not. That's got to be frustrating for Sideshow. You know, there are some artists that draw a new Batman, and people don't like it, and that's just the nature of the business. Comic book artists sketch out how they want to draw a character, and the editorial team reviews it, offers suggestions, etc. And I'm sure SSC does the same thing, internal review, and subject to the licensor's approval, but in neither case do the sketches go out to the public before the character is officially unveiled. It's not like fan outcry of the New 52 re-designs stopped that from happening.

The bottom line, really, is that if there was comic book art that depicted Green Lantern with a textured suit, most people would be okay with SSC's version. That seems kind of arbitrary, in my opinion. I see that with sixth scale figures in general. You give a female figure a revealing outfit and some guns and she's a rip-off, or any other derogatory term, but you put it under the Avengers license and call her Black Widow, then it's an amazing figure. It's like it has to already exist in a different medium for a figure to be accepted as "good". There's just a lot more respect for sixth scale figures of existing designs rather than people's unique visions.

okay - fair question and let me try my best to answer -

Star Wars are representative of a film, where the characters are replicated from specific scenes or iconic looks. Our goal with that is our best attempt to replicate the film. We did do a line of Star Wars Mythos statues which were our spin on classic characters but not is sixth scale.

For Marvel and DC - there are so many artists that have handled and contributed to the looks and stories of these characters - it can be tricky defining which artist version appeals to the most people. if we choose one loo over the other, than we are ultimately going to upset someone who may prefer another version. I have been in a lot of meetings where different versions of the same character are pulled up for reference and inspiration when coming up with our designs. While I may be more of a fan of the character designs from the 80's, another person on the team may prefer more of the current incarnations so in our meeting, we spend alot of time trying to assemble designs that incorporate favorite elements from many artists versions.

Its always risky going this route. I think you can go back a few pages in this very thread and see the risks we take going this route. For Marvel - the line is just getting started and the development takes so long and costs so much that it is also just as big of a gamble if we pick a specific version and it does not resonate with enough people to in the end, to justify that decision. For this line just getting started - having our own version, allows us to contribute to the Marvel universe with our own design. Some may like, but like any other figure, some won't. Any route you go carries a risk but I would rather fall on my own sword than someone else's.

Personally, and this is just my honest opinion - the first three Marvel character, to me, seem like the stay pretty true, in general to the characters we have selected. They are not specific representations of any specific artist, but I think they stay pretty close.

Maybe once we are able to finally get Wolverine, Deadpool, Lantern and others into people hands, if the people like the figures and we think it's a good business decision maybe we would do a specific artist version. I have found after 6+ years at Sideshow that almost anything can be possible so I wouldn't rule it out. We just have to wait and see how things pan out.

I hope somewhere in that you can maybe see where the intent comes form, even if you aren't feeling the end design.

Matt, I think I can speak for the mod team as a whole when I say that you can post about whatever product, production process, decision-making consideration, etc. that you please here. Your presence is very much appreciated, for whatever it is that you feel like addressing.

Thanks Karamazov - I'll do my best to follow the guidelines and thanks for letting me participate.

I'm one of the people who doesn't mind the interpretation route so long as it captures the essence of the character. To me that Wolverine looks pretty faithful to the comics with some minor changes that actually make sense (brown gauntlets vs spandex gloves for example). Even Green lantern has now truly grown on me....all except the price tag that is but it is what it is.

I think it might be the angle of the image giving you that impression. To me, and they are right in front of me, they look proportional. I think also to consider when you make a fist, your hand gets a bit smaller as it is compressed and compacted into a tight ball - perhaps that is giving the effect that it is smaller than the other hands.

It is unfortunate. I really, really wanted to do a snow serpent...as well as an EEL, BAT, Alpine, Spirit, Snow Job, Blow Torch...I could go on. It was really, really fun to be able to work on the line. When I first started at Sideshow I was bestowed the opportunity to create the design for the packaging so thats where the RAH influence came in on that. I got into the development/production end of Joe toward the end but I hope that other Joe fans felt we ended on a high note. My favorites were the Beachhead, Zartan, Firefly, COBRA Trooper Crimson Guard - I think those ones came out really nice. We only have so much capacity in both development and production so somethings need to give. Maybe someday we can return to Joe, it was really enjoyable to work with Hasbro - bunch of great folks over there. I saw on Facebook a post about Hasbro coming back to Joe so one can hope that we get more Joe in our lives.

Hi Matt,
It could be just the angle. I'll have to wait until I see more pictures to have a better idea, but I doubt I'll pose him with anything other than fists anyways. It was this picture that gave me that impression:
View attachment 175088

The packaging on the Joes were great! The design was very nostalgic of the original cardbacks. I'm glad you guys didn't go with Hasbro's updated 25th anniversary card art on the box.
It's hard to say which figures Sideshow made were my favorites because I modified quite a few of them. I replaced almost all the boots with cloth ones, changed bodies, head sculpts, webbing and pouches, hands. The few I didn't change at all are Firefly, the numerous ninjas, and Baroness. I'd go with the Cobra Trooper, Baroness, Falcon, and Firefly as my favorite mostly stock figures. Beachead is at the very top of my favorite Sideshow Joe list, but he's been modified a bit to look more accurate to the original figure.
Also some of the weapons that came with the Joes were great and much appreciated, the XCR, XMLR Laser Rifle, Beachead's crossbow, I especially love the Kriss Vector which I consider the best in the entire line. Unfortunately the Tavor was a let down, over sized, under detailed, and the Magpul AFG wasn't removable.
Although missing important characters should take top priority if you guys ever revisit the GI Joe line, please consider also making some Greenshirts! It's impossible to find anything out there in 1:6 that looks like the original 3/3.4 Greenshirt helmets and BDUs.

Thanks for responding!

Last edited:
Not sure this has been addressed as I think I missed a few pages but Matt, can you tell us why Lantern doesn't have the boot design that Supes and Bats have?

On another note, I'm pretty sure my brother and I spoke to you and Kevin at SDCC '14. I think you showed us and let us pose the Bats and Superman and Kevin let us check out the R2 unit...all of which are currently in our collection...so thanks for that!

As a huge fan of Wolverine, I'm mostly happy with Sideshow's version. I wish they'd get rid of the steel toe caps on the boots and included plain glove tops made from the same leathery material used on the main suit. But I'd buy it right now as is.

As for definitive Wolverine artist, that's Marc Silvestri bub.

Back