SSC Green Lantern 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure this has been addressed as I think I missed a few pages but Matt, can you tell us why Lantern doesn't have the boot design that Supes and Bats have?

On another note, I'm pretty sure my brother and I spoke to you and Kevin at SDCC '14. I think you showed us and let us pose the Bats and Superman and Kevin let us check out the R2 unit...all of which are currently in our collection...so thanks for that!

Hi Lee,

Here was Matt's response on the boots:

Two part boots - I'm a fan as well. A lot of implementing them depends on the sculpt of the boot and if we can engineer it to conceal the joint properly.

In the case of GL, we realized on Superman that we did not achieve the desired angle to get the toes to point downward enough for a hover or launch posing on the extended base pole (please note - the extended base pole is meant to use both the groin AND waist wire holders to suspend the figure).

In hind site on Superman, in order to do so using a two part boot, we would have had to expose more of the joint which we want to avoid or provide a fully sculpted boot to showcase that angle and have it retain the aesthetics of the boot. Since GL needed this more severe downward toe angle to showcase 'flight' and 'hover' better, we chose a full sculpted boot so the customer has both standing and flight options without a seam exposing a ball joint.

Hope that answers your question. Thanks for asking.

Not being a Marvel reader, or knowing too much about Wolverine – I really, really like that figure, I can understand the reasoning behind the tweaks to his costume whilst still retaining the look of the character...

I am a Marvel reader and I love that figure. I'm anxiously waiting to Pre-Order it. It's definitely close enough to be recognizable and it's the Brown suited Wolverine which never gets enough love. I'm just hoping there are interchangable face plates because I was never a fan of the fanged mouth look. I would have take just a plain frown instead.

Is there Matt? Interchangable face plates on Wolvie similar to Batman?

okay - fair question and let me try my best to answer -

Star Wars are representative of a film, where the characters are replicated from specific scenes or iconic looks. Our goal with that is our best attempt to replicate the film. We did do a line of Star Wars Mythos statues which were our spin on classic characters but not is sixth scale.

For Marvel and DC - there are so many artists that have handled and contributed to the looks and stories of these characters - it can be tricky defining which artist version appeals to the most people. if we choose one loo over the other, than we are ultimately going to upset someone who may prefer another version. I have been in a lot of meetings where different versions of the same character are pulled up for reference and inspiration when coming up with our designs. While I may be more of a fan of the character designs from the 80's, another person on the team may prefer more of the current incarnations so in our meeting, we spend alot of time trying to assemble designs that incorporate favorite elements from many artists versions.

Its always risky going this route. I think you can go back a few pages in this very thread and see the risks we take going this route. For Marvel - the line is just getting started and the development takes so long and costs so much that it is also just as big of a gamble if we pick a specific version and it does not resonate with enough people to in the end, to justify that decision. For this line just getting started - having our own version, allows us to contribute to the Marvel universe with our own design. Some may like, but like any other figure, some won't. Any route you go carries a risk but I would rather fall on my own sword than someone else's.

Personally, and this is just my honest opinion - the first three Marvel character, to me, seem like the stay pretty true, in general to the characters we have selected. They are not specific representations of any specific artist, but I think they stay pretty close.

Maybe once we are able to finally get Wolverine, Deadpool, Lantern and others into people hands, if the people like the figures and we think it's a good business decision maybe we would do a specific artist version. I have found after 6+ years at Sideshow that almost anything can be possible so I wouldn't rule it out. We just have to wait and see how things pan out.

I hope somewhere in that you can maybe see where the intent comes form, even if you aren't feeling the end design.

I really appreciate that answer Matt, thank you. I understand where you guys are coming from now and it makes sense. It's not what i would do or like but i get it. That being said, your statues are much closer to the source material and they have no problems selling. Yes there are changes but i would say they are very minor compared to the various sixth scale lines previously mentioned.

Deadpool is close enough for me that i have already ordered him but for Wolverine i'll have to wait for more pictures to decide.

Thanks for being so candid and answering people's questions. Top marks to you sir.

Last edited:
I am a Marvel reader and I love that figure. I'm anxiously waiting to Pre-Order it. It's definitely close enough to be recognizable and it's the Brown suited Wolverine which never gets enough love. I'm just hoping there are interchangable face plates because I was never a fan of the fanged mouth look. I would have take just a plain frown instead.

Is there Matt? Interchangable face plates on Wolvie similar to Batman?

That I would like to know too. Having multiple face plates for Wolverine is a MUST!
The one on the figure looks like Joe Madureia's Wolvie, I really like, it but it would be cool to have a few different depictions as well as expressions and one with wolvie chomping on a cigar. The more options the better!

That I would like to know too. Having multiple face plates for Wolverine is a MUST!
The one on the figure looks like Joe Madureia's Wolvie, I really like, it but it would be cool to have a few different depictions as well as expressions and one with wolvie chomping on a cigar. The more options the better!

Someone mentioned Disney won't allow that.

Matt, I think I can speak for the mod team as a whole when I say that you can post about whatever product, production process, decision-making consideration, etc. that you please here.

Absolutely. :lecture

Your presence is very much appreciated, for whatever it is that you feel like addressing.

I'd like to echo Karamazov's comment by saying that you're presence is extremely appreciated. Please feel free to answer any and all question thrown your way. :duff

Funny that one of the new rules is not to go off topic but the last few posts have all been about Marvel.

That said, I really don't think the "Sideshow take" on classic characters is what fans want.

Conceptually I understand a figure must have the broadest fan-appeal to sell what you need to justify R&D etc. On the other hand, by creating a new take you're potentially losing sales to ALL fans of the character as opposed to connecting to at least one subgroup of fans.

Bowen always did an excellent job capturing a "Marvel look" but rarely did a Kirby or Romita or Ditko or Buscemi or Kane styled piece.

I also appreciate you have to tweak bits here and there to make them work as 12" figures. But let's not kid ourselves. We all know there will be multiple versions of the big characters; we knew when SS did the first Batman that there would be variants, just as we know there will be Deadpool variants, Wolverine variants (presuming the first iterations sell well-enough), etc, etc. So why not start with the best-know version?

I'm a huge Deadpool fan and have been waiting for SS to get the marvel rights and make one, but when I saw it at SDCC my first thought was "they're 'GI Joe-ing' this line" and I was honestly on the fence when preorder happened (I still bought it, but not without reservations).

I mean, is there concern a Tiger Stripe wolverine won't sell? If so, you guys may be drastically overthinking this stuff.

Pursuant to this, the GI Joe line is a good example of this not working. SS eventually revisited Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow with "canon-accurate" versions, but by then I think many core Joe fans were put off by the earlier redesigns of 12" figs. And why Scarlett wasn't in the first 5/6 figures is mind-boggling to me. Obviously we'll never know but I think those kinds of decisions poisoned the well of the line (but I understand they may have come from outside SS).

Funny that one of the new rules is not to go off topic but the last few posts have all been about Marvel.

That said, I really don't think the "Sideshow take" on classic characters is what fans want.

Conceptually I understand a figure must have the broadest fan-appeal to sell what you need to justify R&D etc. On the other hand, by creating a new take you're potentially losing sales to ALL fans of the character as opposed to connecting to at least one subgroup of fans.

Bowen always did an excellent job capturing a "Marvel look" but rarely did a Kirby or Romita or Ditko or Buscemi or Kane styled piece.

I also appreciate you have to tweak bits here and there to make them work as 12" figures. But let's not kid ourselves. We all know there will be multiple versions of the big characters; we knew when SS did the first Batman that there would be variants, just as we know there will be Deadpool variants, Wolverine variants (presuming the first iterations sell well-enough), etc, etc. So why not start with the best-know version?

I'm a huge Deadpool fan and have been waiting for SS to get the marvel rights and make one, but when I saw it at SDCC my first thought was "they're 'GI Joe-ing' this line" and I was honestly on the fence when preorder happened (I still bought it, but not without reservations).

I mean, is there concern a Tiger Stripe wolverine won't sell? If so, you guys may be drastically overthinking this stuff.

Pursuant to this, the GI Joe line is a good example of this not working. SS eventually revisited Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow with "canon-accurate" versions, but by then I think many core Joe fans were put off by the earlier redesigns of 12" figs. And why Scarlett wasn't in the first 5/6 figures is mind-boggling to me. Obviously we'll never know but I think those kinds of decisions poisoned the well of the line (but I understand they may have come from outside SS).

He's explained pretty well why they are doing it the way they are. As I've said many times I'm a huge fan of non-comic interpretations. Can you imagine if we were stuck with just New 52 designs for the DC 1:6?

But I never would have bought any of the Joes if they'd looked like their cartoon or 3.75 inch versions either. They would have been too toy-like and not suited for an adult collector IMHO.

He's explained pretty well why they are doing it the way they are. As I've said many times I'm a huge fan of non-comic interpretations. Can you imagine if we were stuck with just New 52 designs for the DC 1:6?

But I never would have bought any of the Joes if they'd looked like their cartoon or 3.75 inch versions either. They would have been too toy-like and not suited for an adult collector IMHO.

Well let's be honest, I seriously doubt SSC will do New 52 designs as they're a bit too complicated costume-wise.
Again, great of Matt to answer questions on here – but again, I get that multiple artists have drawn the characters, each lending their distinct artistic style to them – Jim Aparo and Jim Lee with Batman for example. However the Batman, Superman, Joker, Harley, Catwoman figures released so far, are still comic accurate whilst not being artist specific, so GL could have been achieved... it's only really the material and the boots that need changing – the Flash prototype looks pretty damn comic accurate too.
The Marvel figures look far more 'artistic interpretations' than GL, and I think they both work beautifully.

Well let's be honest, I seriously doubt SSC will do New 52 designs as they're a bit too complicated costume-wise.
Again, great of Matt to answer questions on here – but again, I get that multiple artists have drawn the characters, each lending their distinct artistic style to them – Jim Aparo and Jim Lee with Batman for example. However the Batman, Superman, Joker, Harley, Catwoman figures released so far, are still comic accurate whilst not being artist specific, so GL could have been achieved... it's only really the material and the boots that need changing – the Flash prototype looks pretty damn comic accurate too.
The Marvel figures look far more 'artistic interpretations' than GL, and I think they both work beautifully.

Harley is certainly interpretive, there are more changes of her traditional pre 52 costume than SSC Lantern has changed from the Rebirth GL. The Flash proto we've seen certainly looks to be as interpretive as this GL, maybe more so.

If you are still responding to posts Matt I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did Batman, Superman, Joker, Harley, Catwoman sell bad? Was this the reason to change the direction of this line due to low sales of the comic accurate figures?

For DC and Marvel lines, this new artistic interpretation, is it here to stay for the foreseeable future?

Also, will this same textured/shiny type fabric used on Green Lantern be used on future releases?

The only interpretation I see with GL is the material, the boots and the smaller body. Everything else is pretty comic book based imo. I don't mind artistic interpretation if it doesn't deviate too much from the source, and if it make sense. For example, why give Wolverine metal toe boots when his bones are made of adamantium he doesn't need metal toes boots.

Harley is certainly interpretive, there are more changes of her traditional pre 52 costume than SSC Lantern has changed from the Rebirth GL. The Flash proto we've seen certainly looks to be as interpretive as this GL, maybe more so.

Firstly I wouldn't call Harley 'interpretive to be honest – she's already been through a few costume changes since her creation, and it's just the original Harley costume with a more recent corset and boots - just an amalgamation of styles really.

Interested to hear in what way is Flash 'interpretive'?

Flash.jpg

...all eras and various artists covered, not much variation.

To be honest GL isn't really an artistic interpretation really, i'm not really sure using a patterned material and boots that look too big can really be construed as 'artistic'.
Flash looks almost perfect to me, again not keen on the material as I think it should be smoother for the character, but it certainly doesn't look out of place like GLs does to me.

If you are still responding to posts Matt I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did Batman, Superman, Joker, Harley, Catwoman sell bad? Was this the reason to change the direction of this line due to low sales of the comic accurate figures?

For DC and Marvel lines, this new artistic interpretation, is it here to stay for the foreseeable future?

Also, will this same textured/shiny type fabric used on Green Lantern be used on future releases?

If that was the case, they've shot themselves in the foot as the overwhelming feeback on here (both DC and Marvel) seems to be for more comic accuracy.

I guess I should wade through the thread.

Let's agree to not even go there with New 52 - such a non-starter, as Mattel and many others learned the hard way. I don't think there was any question the DC Figs have mostly been comic accurate. I think they had to tweak Harley BC it would be tough to get that patterned costume sewn on tightly & accurately enough so all the designs would line up and the form fit would be correct. Hence the corset. But Batman, Catwoman, Joker, Superman, Flash, (and maybe this GL from what people are saying, I don't read any DC anymore) are all pretty comic accurate. Except for small aesthetic tweaks and a couple wonky head sculpts (how that Batman got through approval is a mystery to me), they're right out of the books. So it just seems weird to me that they're going in a different direction with Marvel.

I didn't expect the Joes to look exactly like the 3.75" versions, but I expected the earlier releases to be closer than they were, and the fact that later releases were closer to the original 3.75" designs says they tried to course-correct. You could say they did New 52 versions of the Joes.

I'm sure Tim Bradstreet versions are someone's dream figures, but I think, for the health of the line, they should've saved those for later and started off with a few more accurate characters (including Scarlett). And I suppose a lot of that extra gear brought hardcore military guys in, but for my displays, most of the gear is still in the box.

And that's what I think will be a problem with the Marvel figs. A lot of extra gear to justify the price tag (which I'm fine with, I know these licenses aren't cheap), but not a comic accurate figure underneath (which I'm not fine with). And again, I've got money to wager that X-Force Deadpool is right around the corner (because when ISN'T he?). And if that flies, so are other versions. But if they're eventually going to get to a comic accurate Deadpool and Wolvie and whoever else is in the pipeline, I'd prefer they rethink and put those up front and save the reimagining for later. I'd like to see this go for a long time if they do it right. If not, it deserves to go away. Leave the artistic interpretations to Ashley Wood.

I look at it this way, Hot Toys doesn't do their interpretation of a Captain America movie figure, they do a screen accurate version - because that's what buyers want. Pick an iconic look and commit, don't muddy the property.

Last edited:

Whaaa? Then you are clearly not a fan of GI Joe. Don't confuse being accurate to the original RAH designs as being simplistic and therefore toy like, the old Joe designs are 1980's military sci-fi pop culture. They were weird goofy designs but that's what we loved about them! It's like doing DC superheros and feeling the old designs are too weird so get rid of Superman's cape, bright colors, spandex suit, briefs on the outside, and pointless chest emblem for something that looks less goofy, then it stops being what made it so unique and interesting.
Take the Greenshirt helmet, the original was obviously intended to be a Mitch style helmet but had to have the sides curved down so the helmet could snap onto the figure's head and stay put. That created a fairly unique looking helmet that hasn't been made in 1:6 scale. When sideshow gave Duke and Rock n' Roll their helmets, they gave them standard Mitch type helmets which can be found everywhere in 1:6 scale. They still kinda look like their original counterparts, but what made them really unique and special was lost. What I think sideshow should've done is recreate the original Joe helmet but also give it a little more detail to make it less toy like such as a chin strap system, optional liner, removable black plugs that cover up the holes over the ears but still recreate the look of the holes on either side of the helmet, etc. If someone still thinks a 1:6 Joe helmet looks weird and goofy, there's still plenty of 1:6 real world helmet alternatives they can replace it with. Why make GI Joes that look like any real world military guy when that stuff already exists in 1:6 scale and not try to capture what made the Joes and Cobras so unique, fun and iconic? I like some of sideshows original Joe designs, but I feel there was a missed opportunity here to make something iconic and uniquely GI Joe.

Last edited:

--

Whether we agree or not, the JOE line did a decent/good job in terms of visually representing the characters in the real/modern world while taking some of their cartoon/toy visuals and updating them for the real world aestehtics/interpretations.

Of all the characters released, IMHO "General Hawk" was clearly the closest in terms of being almost accurate to the 3.75" General Hawk. Of course, others may disagree.

There were some flaws like Firefly where virtually everyone went "nuts" and collectors were placated more or less with the inclusion of the extra Firefly head sculpt in camo.

Back