SSC Helmeted Cobra Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does feel like the head could be a bit smaller and the figure would work better overall... he's not on a skinny or short body by any means.

I'm still going to try out a HT Slim, but I think it will really will be too skinny and may not look as good even though it would likely pose a hell of a lot better :lol

I dig the 'new' look, but I just prefer the V1 body/gear. I don't know why, I guess I just feel like it fits with the look of everyone else a bit better. Or it could be because I have a infatuation with the coat. Has anyone put the coat on the new figure? May help him look a bit bigger.

Not bad, I was looking at a DiD German riding boot that might work either way.

Yeah, those should work too... the Jedi Luke boots are essentially the same design, but in cheap-o rubber :lol You will need a pair of feet to go in the boots though. Luckily I've harvested a lot of them from my the Buck bodies I've upgraded over the last few years.

The original bodies Sideshow used were called Art S. Buck bodies, or Bucks for short.

They're pretty crappy, but the feet are compatible with the new Pro style foot pegs, so I keep them whenever I upgrade an older Sideshow figure.

Damn, that's a question I never bothered asking, but have seen the term on the forums for the last couple of years and wondered what specifically it referred to (I always assumed any SSC stock body was a "Buck"). Thanks for the explanation, galacti.

I've been futzing with my CC for the past hour or so and am really happy with how this figure turned out. I honestly don't see the need to upgrade the body, even with the not so great knees. All he needs to do is stand and look imposing/threatening so a lot of leg articulation isn't really required. Also liking the Helmet head more than I originally thought in the promo pics. Not near as vader-ish or huge as I anticipated.

I agree once posed tge knees will no longer be an issue, I'm just struggling to get a pose I want with how messed up these are.

Damn, that's a question I never bothered asking, but have seen the term on the forums for the last couple of years and wondered what specifically it referred to (I always assumed any SSC stock body was a "Buck"). Thanks for the explanation, galacti.

Glad I could be of service :duff

I've been futzing with my CC for the past hour or so and am really happy with how this figure turned out. I honestly don't see the need to upgrade the body, even with the not so great knees. All he needs to do is stand and look imposing/threatening so a lot of leg articulation isn't really required. Also liking the Helmet head more than I originally thought in the promo pics. Not near as vader-ish or huge as I anticipated.

:exactly::goodpost: I'm not understanding all these "Let's upgrade the body" either but of course, to each their own. To me, he looks fantastic. As for the black under the chrome helmet, I think of this as a black compression garment to treat the Commander's facial disfigurment/scars so the black under the chrome face plate was never an issue to me. I also really dig the hooded sculpt and think it makes him look imposing from the photos.

What's the trick for the knees? I'm at a loss :huh

Once I got the knee to move...it took some work for each of the two knee joints per leg...I just kept moving it back and forth quickly...I guess the teeth inside soften up or don't bite as tight...but they hold when bending the figure even with all his weight over one knee...they don't get loose, you have to push to bend them...to pose him...but they move with a reasonable amount of force...and mine had his knees bent in the box...so he wouldn't stand right....

Because the knees are terrible. A figure should not have to rely on the stand. And that helmet Vader all the way. :lol

Height comparison. Surprised how short the old release is... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389856182.757805.jpg

Got the Commander in and overall I'm pleased... definitely overpriced but there's a lot of positives with the figure.

But I need to get the big negative out of the way first, those ****ing knees! I don't get who designed them and who continues to approve them, but I want to kick them in the nuts or twat. The rest of the body is fine, no issues, but I couldn't bend the knees. So I undressed the figure and hope seeing the joints will aid me. But instead I find I can only bend the leg at the bottom of the knee joint and it's impossible to get the legs 100% straight?!? WTF?!?

Aside from that incredibly annoying issue, the only other minor hits would be the sleeveless inner shirt is pretty cheap for a $175 figure and the closures (especially at the neck) are kind of bulky. And the two guns are just a single solid piece of plastic, they both look good but sliding pieces or a clip for the Luger would have been nice. I agreed the reflective dome should wrap around more, but as-is it didn't really bother me in hand.

Positives- both heads look good, no wonky eyes on my hooded sculpt although I'll probably never use it. The tailoring on the outfit is very good and the magnet cape is very nice. Glad Sideshow if finally using high quality materials for the capes so we get a nice natural drape. And again with the exception of the knees the rest of the body works very well and has nice proportions. The harness and holsters are also very well done, the material feels a bit soft so I'd be careful not to tear them, but they look great. Hands and pimp cane are also great :rock

If it weren't for the knees I'd be pretty stoked about this figure, but when you struggle just to bend the ****ing leg it does take some of the enjoyment out of the figure. I really hope someone at Sideshow is paying attention and get's rid of this terrible design.

And a quick photo of mine:

c7c4e8d9-5cf8-46f7-a398-cb6b06689b6f_zpsfafd8591.jpg

I took a pair of Jedi Luke boots and cut off the tops and gave them to the Commander, they're a bit basic looking, but work well enough w/o stretching out the pants legs. I think stirrups would be a very easy next step to getting a more classic look.

e0cb24cd-16da-4598-8de2-03821a2482f1_zpscf99a456.jpg

Dig the boot swap.

Shame about the knees. How is it that the ****ty Bucks had better knees than bodies being used in 2014 :dunno

It is a bit tall. I also tried a standard short neck to lower it down, but it is to wide for the collar. The long necks are narrow I guess or may just be this one for CC.

Bummer about the neck swap, that was my plan.

Because the knees are terrible. A figure should not have to rely on the stand.

:lecture

WTF Sideshow!?!?!?

I understand those who wish to do a body swap for this or any SSC figure. While I find the upper body okay, the legs particularly the knees are very frustrating. And the frustration isn't just limited to the figure standing on its own, so using a stand isn't a solution. The rubbery knees make it hard to do natural-looking leg stances like walking and contrapposto. Even my SSC Boba Fett which is on a mid-air hovering pose can hardly keep a dynamic aerial leg pose.

If only I had more money I wouldn't mind spending more on top of the SRPs and have all my SSC figures body-swapped. Was able to do it only to V1 Snake Eyes as that body really sucked proportion-wise, but its knees I find better IMO.

I hope their new muscle bodies for their DC line won't be as horrible.

Missed parted out hands & gauntlets again... saw the gauntlets & hesitated because the gloves werent there... by the time I realised they were listed as Sideshow with no mention of cobra commander they were gone.

Back