Superman line from Mattel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Superman line from Mattel?

Also, if these bodies didn't suck and could potentially be used as the base for another custom of some kind, maybe the cost would be a bit easier to swallow. But, they do suck (if Ray's is any indication) and aren't really useful for anything in my opinion.

Have just read Zod's manifesto;is it too late to change my vote?...PS

Got m'Zod, too. Not sure about that A+, but it might be a solid B...

He certainly has his problems, but I think my previously purchasing the 12" Ray Stantz properly tempered my expectations. The body is awkward (but well hidden under Zod's disco suit), the sculpt is soft (but I totally see Stamp in there) and the red trim on the suit is a lot more pronounced than I'd like, but it's still a definite kick to have this figure after all these years.

One thing no one has really mentioned is the stand. On one hand, it's adjustable...you can swivel the ring into horizontal flying positions, and adjust the height for a good hovering pose...great features to have. On the other hand, the ring is so tiny, it almost needs to be attached to the figure underneath his clothing. Which is not so great. When I first saw it, I thought I'd switch my HT Supes onto it so he could take flight, but I'm afraid of damaging his suit...it's that small.

The hand sculpts are pretty good; While I think the flying hands are a nice touch, he does come with a M-16 (made of an incredibly soft rubber) that he can't properly wield. A trigger hand would have been a logical thing to include, but this is Matty we're talking about...

Another tiny detail that's likely to go unnoticed is the side of the box. There appears to be the beginnings of a larger image...sort of a mural of the Metropolis attack from Superman II that you'll be able to see when you store your boxes side-by-side. The thing is, it'll obviously take a heckuva lot more than just Zod and Superman to complete it. Matty might have bigger plans for this line than he's letting on. I think it's a safe bet that Ursa and Non are likely in the pipeline.

Anyway, just my quick impressions.

Last edited:

In addition to the upcoming Superman figure I can't see them really doing more than Jor-El, Ursa, Non, and maybe Clark Kent and Lex Luthor. Those last two aren't very "toyetic" but they're iconic enough to warrant figures.

Realistically speaking any other character would be stretching it.

Just got the Zod, and it is A+ all the way around. From the packaging to the figure, A+!

An A+? The outfit looks kind of cheap and the head is merely painted with so so paint. I mean I guess it's pretty good, but I don't know where you get the A+ from.

I'm not one to stage an elaborate modeling session where I pose my figures in a bunch of snappy positions but here's an on-the-shelf pic:

IMG00053-20091221-1955.jpg

An A+? The outfit looks kind of cheap and the head is merely painted with so so paint. I mean I guess it's pretty good, but I don't know where you get the A+ from.

The A+ comes from me liking it. Hope that's OK? I don't have as high as standards as you and many others I guess. It's a toy from Mattel, I wasn't expecting Hot Toys. My expectations were super low, so much to my surprise when I thought it looks great, and is not as bad as a lot of people are nit picking at. I worked on the Warner Bros. lot and have seen the suit many times, it's pretty accurate, yes even the red. The way Unsworth shot it, muted the colors, but it's pretty dead on. The white outside box is classic, and the display box of him in the White House set is great. That's my opinion. Not everybody will like it. The joy of America.

I'm not one to stage an elaborate modeling session where I pose my figures in a bunch of snappy positions but here's an on-the-shelf pic:

IMG00053-20091221-1955.jpg

He looks great. If I'm not wary of matty's shipping policies I'll buy him with egon but knowing they'll screw it up again I'll order him by February if he is still available.

I think Zod in that flying pose just sold me on the figure! :D He needs a little work but for $60 I think it's okay. The likeness is better than some high end figures that cost $40 more.

I really want to see a close up of the head. It's a great likeness but I wonder how well sculpted the beard is -it looks more painted on then sculpted.

Back