Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read a few posts stating that the price of these two will be the same as SSC's duo in PF.

Has the actual price already been announced?

this weekend i heard they are having a Tamashii Nations toy festival, hopefully at the show they will show more of C3-PO and reveal the price for R2-D2 and maybe give us a clue as to when these might go up for order, other than just saying 2013

That is a BS price... zero interest in either of them. Certainly the nicest C-3PO we've seen or maybe ever will see. But I would not pay $800+ for the pair :lecture

Make mine Hasbro until something from Sideshow (and only Sideshow) comes out :rock

Well.. if the quality is there, I'm going to have to find a way to get these guys.

These two ARE SW - & I only want the best versions of them going around, if I can afford them.

Price will be closer to $375.00 with some e-tailers...
That's just the MSRP...
Not that it's a whole lot cheaper but anything helps! :D

Yeah, I think anything north of $250 a piece is my breaking point on C-3PO and R2. And at that price point I don't care about metal pieces, but I would expect light-up and chrome paint work.

Barring that I'll just customize the Hasbro ones to a more acceptable level.

Well.. if the quality is there, I'm going to have to find a way to get these guys.

These two ARE SW - & I only want the best versions of them going around, if I can afford them.
Yep, I'll find a way to make it work. As mentioned by Kuzeh, I think when Sideshow actually puts these up that they won't price them 1:1 Yen/USD @ $425.00. They must know that they're pricing out a ton of collectors, so I'm hoping they will take a little less of a percentage in profit and list them at $350.00 - $375.00. Then maybe other retailers like BBTS will also sell them, in which case it's possible they'll discount them another 10%. Hoping to get some more news about these guys over the weekend.

Surely the 1/6 astromech could be the new clone when it comes to reissues?

Not if they're $400 a piece.
Might be wrong, but I thought he was referring to Sideshow not producing their own droids, especially in regards to R2 and how easily they'd be able to pump out varients.

I've wondered the same thing, as the astromechs should be a goldmine. Tons of collectors would grab R2, plus a red, yellow, black, etc., varient (I'm talking at Sideshow prices, not Tamashii), and then there's R5-D4 that could be made with a little customization. Same with 3PO, I guess (silver & white versions, plus 4-LOM and Death Star droid, again with some customization of the molds for each). I would've thought the droids would be higher on their list for production and find it a little funny Sideshow's OK with just being distributors for Tamashii.

But you're definitely right about varients at Tamashii prices, devil. No way I'd get anything other than R2 and 3PO. Still kind of wonder what's going on with this partnership, though. Would like to know if Sideshow plans to re-use parts of the molds for their own purposes or what (for later releases like 4-LOM, etc.).

Last edited:
Yep, I'll find a way to make it work. As mentioned by Kuzeh, I think when Sideshow actually puts these up that they won't price them 1:1 Yen/USD @ $425.00. They must know that they're pricing out a ton of collectors, so I'm hoping they will take a little less of a percentage in profit and list them at $350.00 - $375.00. Then maybe other retailers like BBTS will also sell them, in which case it's possible they'll discount them another 10%. Hoping to get some more news about these guys over the weekend.

Might be wrong, but I thought he was referring to Sideshow not producing their own droids, especially in regards to R2 and how easily they'd be able to pump out varients.

I've wondered the same thing, as the astromechs should be a goldmine. Tons of collectors would grab R2, plus a red, yellow, black, etc., varient (I'm talking at Sideshow prices, not Tamashii), and then there's R5-D4 that could be made with a little customization. Same with 3PO, I guess (silver & white versions, plus 4-LOM and Death Star droid, again with some customization of the molds for each). I would've thought the droids would be higher on their list for production and find it a little funny Sideshow's OK with just being distributors for Tamashii.

But you're definitely right about varients at Tamashii prices, devil. No way I'd get anything other than R2 and 3PO. Still kind of wonder what's going on with this partnership, though. Would like to know if Sideshow plans to re-use parts of the molds for their own purposes or what (for later releases like 4-LOM, etc.).
sorry yes i meant sideshow astromechs at about a 100 bucks a pop

literally hundreds of variants they could make plus custom potential

Was just checking the product webpage again for 3PO to see if anything was updated and noticed the following line that appears to be new to me, right off the hop:

"This product is a collaboration product of Sideshow Collectibles and Tamashii Nations."

Could be wrong, but I believe that's new and I'm assuming they wouldn't advise something like this if Sideshow were merely a distributor and was not more actively involved in the product design/production. Assuming that's the case, then this 3PO/R2 can only be the 'official' SSC release, and there will not be another pair coming.

It's kind of interesting, because SSC seems to be splitting up the production of characters now between themselves, HT and Tamashii, meaning more ground should be able to be covered than if they were hoarding the license all for themselves. Would sure love to know more about how these partnerships work.

My guess is that these are the ones to get.
Even if SSC decided to produce a 1/6 R2/3PO on their own, I don't think they will utilize as much metal (if any) and be as screen accurate.

These Chogokin's sure are pricey though. :(

sorry yes i meant sideshow astromechs at about a 100 bucks a pop

literally hundreds of variants they could make plus custom potential

Definitely. I don't know if we'd see them for as low as $100 each now, and that is the only way variants could work for them, but it would have been cool.

Might still. I'm not giving up on it yet.

Tamashii did update C3-PO's page, hopefully this weekend we see even more pictures of both droids

Well i just read the press release on the tamashii nations site and they said C3-PO launches in February 2013 not sure if they mean thats when its releasing or when it goes up for order

It's kind of interesting, because SSC seems to be splitting up the production of characters now between themselves, HT and Tamashii, meaning more ground should be able to be covered than if they were hoarding the license all for themselves. Would sure love to know more about how these partnerships work.
Yeah, it could mean that my chances of getting nice high end versions of my 'short list' must haves, are that much better now, because multiple high end collaborations / options, would make things ideal. :rock

Last edited:
I would really hate for this to be 'it' in terms of Sideshow's involvement in the droids. While they look great, there is no way in hell I'm paying $400 a piece for them. I don't need metal bits and lights, just take the PF version and shrink it down for all I care.

Its not like SS is letting HT do all their human characters from this point on, so I hope its the same with Tamashi.

Back