Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the major problem right now. It isn't chrome finish.

Yeah. ESB is on Spike TV right now and you can clearly see that 3PO has a mirrored finish. Not the sheen/frost finish of this chogokin.

Now, R2.... well, thank goodness it's still early because that one needs a lot more work. Especially the dome.

If Tamashii Nations is going to ask for top dollar on these two, they need to deliver the ultimate representations.

3PO looks to me more or less like a home run, already (aside from price). I'm more worried about R2 measuring up. Even for a prototype, it's very surprising to me that they missed the eye being black and the brushed steel dome (especially since the packaging does have the eye right... hard to discern if the dome appears brushed steel or not). Just saw some new pics from their convention this weekend and he hasn't been tweaked. Would be great if we could see them respond to that criticism, as I'm assuming it has to have been brought up previously.

Agreed, it's an issue but to be honest, it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as R2's polished dome. Maybe because I've become acclimated to seeing 3PO with different finishes over the years from Hasbro.

:exactly:

By the way, can you post links to those pics? Thanks.

Here you go, Centurion.

Edit: Here's a link to the full gallery (3PO and R2 start down at image 39 of 74).

Just Googled some images of 3PO from ANH and this finish is really not too bad. It is off, but none of the images I could find showed him with a mirrored chrome finish. Thinking about it, I'd suppose Lucas would've wanted the finish a bit matte, so that his body wouldn't be reflecting background stuff to the audience. Regardless, I'm OK with the finish Tamashii chose. Looks close enough to me.

Last edited:
Here you go, Centurion.

Edit: Here's a link to the full gallery (3PO and R2 start down at image 39 of 74).

Just Googled some images of 3PO from ANH and this finish is really not too bad. It is off, but none of the images I could find showed him with a mirrored chrome finish. Thinking about it, I'd suppose Lucas would've wanted the finish a bit matte, so that his body wouldn't be reflecting background stuff to the audience. Regardless, I'm OK with the finish Tamashii chose. Looks close enough to me.

Thank you! :rock

Yeah, the finish still needs work on both.
C3PO is much closer, but R2 still needs work.

Here's a look at 3PO on tatooine...

618_movies_star_wars_c_3po_r2_d2.jpg

StarWars10.jpg

... and on Yavin:

ceremonialrebels.jpg

Tamashii's:

32n.jpg

Cool, thanks for posting the comparison shots. Good point about Yavin, he really is polished to a high lustre, there (all the pics I got were from Tatooine, so finish is much more dull). I'm cool either way, though. If they decide to go with a bright chrome or keep it the same, it really doesn't bother me. R2, on the other hand, actually bugs me, so I hope they correct it.

Edit: Just thinking, one possible advantage of the finish Tamashii chose is that it won't show every finger print or scratch up with normal handling. A highly polished chrome basically needs to continue looking flawless over time (at least I would find it distracting, otherwise), so if this rather more matte finish was chosen for durability, that would seem a reasonable trade-off.

Last edited:
I have been avoiding this thread because I have very little interest in any of the figures that do not come difrectly from Sideshow.

But this morning, I was bored so I chose to read through the thread.

The first thing that came to mind was the mention of them being statues because they had no stands. Now, I realize that it has since been determined that these figures are articulated, but I was surprised that it seems that nobody saw the pictures in post #1 clearly showing the stands. Did those pics get added later?

I am also a little surprised that so many are wondering if these will be considered to be the Sideshow release for the line. I am not sure why anyone would think that. If it was to be the case, Sideshow would be heralding them from the front of every release of information from the line.

As far as the price goes, at 425.00+, I am glad they are not due to be released for a while as I am going to need to save up some to get them.

But these WILL be a set that I go against my "Sideshow only" policy for 1:6 scale Star Wars figures. I simply will not display them with the Sideshow permanently. I may take a few pictures of them all together. But at the price, these will end up in a high-security display with defensive systems that couldn't be breached by Tom Cruise in a Mission Impossible movie.

Edit - And one other thing. I think it is discrimination to have merged the threads for these figures when every Sideshow figure has a thread dedicated to it. :)

Yeah, not sure if those pics in the first post were updated or everyone just forgot what they saw between the first post in July and the new thread being merged in August.

In regards to them being the official Sideshow release, it is weird but it seems to be the case. The Tamashii 3PO product page states first thing that 3PO is a collaboration between SSC and Tamashii, which I don't think they'd do if SSC was only distributing for them in NA. Plus Sideshow displayed 3PO with their stuff at SDCC, which I don't believe they did for Medicom.

The whole 12" Perfect Model line seems to be Tamashii's way of breaking away from the Asian specific scale (like Medicom is still doing) and adoping the NA 12" scale so that they can make inroads into Sideshow's market (as a lot of us won't buy Medicom specifically because of scale). Not sure why SSC is not trumpeting the release more, but it might have to do with the price point. :dunno Really I'd like to see the question put to Sideshow and get their response to know for sure.

Great post Darth Cruel.

Yeah, some solid info would awesome. One thing I can say though, is that if these guys are every bit as high end as they're proposing they'll be, saving the cash for them will be a labour of love. :)

Plus - seems ages away till release anyway, so there's no rush & lots of time to gather info.

I am also a little surprised that so many are wondering if these will be considered to be the Sideshow release for the line. I am not sure why anyone would think that. If it was to be the case, Sideshow would be heralding them from the front of every release of information from the line.

As far as the price goes, at 425.00+, I am glad they are not due to be released for a while as I am going to need to save up some to get them.

SSC definitely has their hands in this in some way or another. They're marketing this piece with their name next to Tamshii Nations.

I believe they are not going full blown with it on their website because they would be shooting themselves in the foot:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=7176

Whether or not this is an apples/oranges issue is debatable.
Both offerings are priced closely to one another.

I seem to remember they did display Medicom's R5-D4 and 4-LOM with their own stuff last year. Still, it does look like this 3PO will indeed be part of SCC 1:6 Star Wars line.

...I believe they are not going full blown with it on their website because they would be shooting themselves in the foot:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=7176
Both offerings are priced closely to one another...
Good point. Darth Vader was debating not long ago whether he should go for the PFs or the Tamashii release, given the price points were similar. No doubt they are cannibalizing their own sales a bit with this release. I was pretty set on getting two Snowtroopers and an e.web in January but am jettisoning them in order to feel OK paying for 3PO. Maybe I'll still end-up getting the Snowies down the road and maybe not.

Rebelscum just posted up an official gallery of images for C-3PO. Yet again they are saying this is a collaboration with Sideshow which is pointing out this is our official 12-inch C-3PO from Sideshow.

https://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Images_Released_For_Tamashii_Nations_Threepio_147854.asp
Funny that Rebel Scum would just post the info from Tamashii's product page word for word without adding any commentary or context, especially since the page has been up for quite some time, now. Am thinking though that since Wild Tiger was just announced for pre-order by BBTS, that maybe we'll hear something about 3PO this week. His release is only supposed to be a month after Wild Tiger (Jan for WT and Feb for 3PO).

I seem to remember they did display Medicom's R5-D4 and 4-LOM with their own stuff last year. Still, it does look like this 3PO will indeed be part of SCC 1:6 Star Wars line.
Yes, you're right, Tee-Kay. Totally forgot about that. We can throw my earlier point about the SDCC display out the window, then.

Good point. Darth Vader was debating not long ago whether he should go for the PFs or the Tamashii release, given the price points were similar. No doubt they are cannibalizing their own sales a bit with this release. I was pretty set on getting two Snowtroopers and an e.web in January but am jettisoning them in order to feel OK paying for 3PO. Maybe I'll still end-up getting the Snowies down the road and maybe not.

Darth Vader collects Star Wars stuff? It's weird, but kind of makes sense. And he made Threepio too.

And just the other day, "Indiana Jones" was in the Indy forum discussing how he was going to buy a HT Indy. Makes sense.

Well actually it makes no sense. Darth Vader has been dead for years.

As for Indiana Jones, unless he really is one of the oldest people ever, there's every chance he's dead as well.

My guess is that those being referred to are not the real Darth Vader and Indiana Jones.

Well actually it makes no sense. Darth Vader has been dead for years.

As for Indiana Jones, unless he really is one of the oldest people ever, there's every chance he's dead as well.

My guess is that those being referred to are not the real Darth Vader and Indiana Jones.

I knew it wasn't the real Indiana Jones - that's why I put it in quotes, ****ass. He'd be over a hundred and that modern-day picture of him with with the eye patch - he wouldn't know how to use the internet.

But Darth Vader - it says a long time ago, but it's not our solar system but they have lasers and things. Right now could be before he died.

And he'd like that this figure is made of metal is all I was thinking. Like a real robot. And Japanese too. I can see him being interested.

I knew it wasn't the real Indiana Jones - that's why I put it in quotes, ****ass. He'd be over a hundred and that modern-day picture of him with with the eye patch - he wouldn't know how to use the internet.

But Darth Vader - it says a long time ago, but it's not our solar system but they have lasers and things. Right now could be before he died.

And he'd like that this figure is made of metal is all I was thinking. Like a real robot. And Japanese too. I can see him being interested.

Well were he to order one I can't see FedEx being able to get a package to 'a galaxy far, far away'. I mean, no zip code, nothing :dunno

Back