Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the eye mod make the "three light bulbs" in the eyes any clearer?

Still not seeing it much in the modded eye pics, but it might just be the camera.

I don't think it makes them clearer, it might make it harder to see, but you can still see them. I think that out of the box you can see the three diodes in full daylight with the lights on.

Last edited:
Yes, you got it. Two yellows in front and two oranges in back. You might want to poke holes for the black dot. I didn't do that, but might.

Cool thank you buddy! Just got some perfect coloured acetate today :rock

Do you think it needs holes poked in for the 'eye ball?'

Cool thank you buddy! Just got some perfect coloured acetate today :rock

Do you think it needs holes poked in for the 'eye ball?'

No, I got it wrong. Just put his eyes in first then the colored material behind it, not in front. I changed mine last night so his plastic eyes are in front.

This way you can still see his black eyes when the lights are shut off and the three lights come through much brighter.
E0CD6CE9-A4C3-4106-A23F-5A0ABEC8E34E-1217-000000F3A78B8C84_zps08bc31ce.jpg

I also changed the combo. Now I have 3 oranges in back, one yellow in front. Here's the results"

D0D972E1-0DDB-491A-9AEC-3E7D24FB98E9-1217-000000F39D51B965_zpsc85d82c6.jpg

F61C02FA-1C50-430B-BF66-C99E984703FA-1217-000000F3A0216E03_zps12a88a36.jpg
:lecture

All credit to PJB...

Last edited:
No, I got it wrong. Just put his eyes in first then the colored material behind it, not in front. I changed mine last night so his plastic eyes are in front.

This way you can still see his black eyes when the lights are shut off and the three lights come through much brighter.
E0CD6CE9-A4C3-4106-A23F-5A0ABEC8E34E-1217-000000F3A78B8C84_zps08bc31ce.jpg

I also changed the combo. Now I have 3 oranges in back, one yellow in front. Here's the results"

D0D972E1-0DDB-491A-9AEC-3E7D24FB98E9-1217-000000F39D51B965_zpsc85d82c6.jpg

F61C02FA-1C50-430B-BF66-C99E984703FA-1217-000000F3A0216E03_zps12a88a36.jpg
:lecture

All credit to PJB...

Oh sounds more complicated than I thought! :(

I thought I was just going to unscrew the back and drop the coloured acetate in. Is that not the case?

Love your new look btw :rock

I thought I was just going to unscrew the back and drop the coloured acetate in. Is that not the case?

Love your new look btw :rock

No, not complicated...just unscrew the three screws holding his face onto the electronics and then unscrew the piece holding his eyes down and drop your colored piece on top of his eyes (but in back o the black pupil) and screw everything back...it's a cake walk!

No, not complicated...just unscrew the three screws holding his face onto the electronics and then unscrew the piece holding his eyes down and drop your colored piece on top of his eyes (but in back o the black pupil) and screw everything back...it's a cake walk!

Cool, thanks, not worried again now :lol

That's actually pretty much all it takes, Teddy. Solo_bones and I initially dropped the colored film just behind Threepio's eye grills and in front of the white translucent piece that his pupils are painted on. But when he's "shut down," his eyes should be white, so it's actually more accurate to place the colored film behind this piece, like so:

Eyes05_zps3cef45b0.jpeg

BTW, bless you guys who are content to keep your figure just the way it is out of the box. But, for us perfectionists, here's something I chanced upon while visiting my local theater supply store: a free professional lighting gel swatch book!

picture.php

I thought the cellophane and file folders seemed too low-rent to use on such a high-end item like this, so I went looking for a place that sells photographic lighting gels, hoping to buy a single sheet in a suitable shade of amber. Turns out, you can get a complementary swatch book of 1 3/4" x 3" sheets of this material, which includes about a dozen or so different shades of amber that should look just fine on this figure. :yess:

(Of course, it may drive me crazy finding the perfect hue to use for Threepio's eyes. Talk about an embarrassment of riches!)

Last edited:
Two days ago you were all like:

I wanna do the mod for the eyes, but I'm afraid of mucking it up.

But just yesterday you're all like:

Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C3PO- Just got from SSC on Friday. In perfect condition. No cut wires, light tab never taken out. Just not a big SW collectibles fan. Really sweet figure.
$350 shipped

What's the deal CC? :monkey1

Amazon had one available, fulfilled by Amazon for $351.36 with free shipping...had! Their price last week was around $375.

I couldn't pass on it!

That's actually pretty much all it takes, Teddy. Solo_bones and I initially dropped the colored film just behind Threepio's eye grills and in front of the white translucent piece that his pupils are painted on. But when he's "shut down," his eyes should be white, so it's actually more accurate to place the colored film behind this piece, like so:

Eyes05_zps3cef45b0.jpeg

BTW, bless you guys who are content to keep your figure just the way it is out of the box. But, for us perfectionists, here's something I chanced upon while visiting my local theater supply store: a free professional lighting gel swatch book!

picture.php

I thought the cellophane and file folders seemed too low-rent to use on such a high-end item like this, so I went looking for a place that sells photographic lighting gels, hoping to buy a single sheet in a suitable shade of amber. Turns out, you can get a complementary swatch book of 1 3/4" x 3" sheets of this material, which includes about a dozen or so different shades of amber that should look just fine on this figure. :yess:

(Of course, it may drive me crazy finding the perfect hue to use for Threepio's eyes. Talk about an embarrassment of riches!)

Sounds good! Let me know when you got the perfect color down!

Sounds good! Let me know when you got the perfect color down!

Alright, I think I got it! After cutting up a dozen or so different gels from that swatch book and comparing them to movie footage, this is the closest shade of amber for Threepio's eyes I got:

Eyes07_zps0d2db2d3.jpg

While my photo doesn't capture the exact color seen with the naked eye, I think it compares favorably to this particular screen shot here:

C3po_bild.png

And for Darth Magnus and whoever else is interested to know, I used #321 Soft Golden Amber from that Roscolux book. What do y'all think?

Looks great brother! Can you spare a shaped slice? :pray: If so pm me!

No problemo. In fact, since I have enough material and always happy to help out the obsessive-compulsive amongst us here, I'm willing to send a ready-cut piece of this color gel to seven other folks for the cost of a self-addressed stamped envelope.

So, the next seven PMs I receive will get a free color gel for their Threepio figures. After that, you're on your own! :wink1:

Looks like a perfect match, PJB! Nicely done. Think I'm still too lazy, though...

Edit: Just compared some unmodded shots and compared them to PJB's look and the mod really does capture just a bit more of 3PO... I caved and now want the gel! Damn you, PJB!!! :mad:

By which I mean thanks a lot! :D

Last edited:
Back