Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they can make cheap ass gold jewlery thats shiny for next to nothing, i wonder why they didn't do this with a metal c3po.......:dunno
i mean that is a plating process on metal isn't it?......:cuckoo:

agreed...however the krylon may be more archival, rather have the gold krylon paint if it lasts longer then the gold plated if its flaking 10years down the road. I do not which is better however at $400 ea I would hope we are getting the better of the two.

All I know is, for $400, I shouldn't have to do anything more to it other than taking it out of it's box and putting it on my shelf.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with metals and metal finishing processes who might explain why they've applied such an apparently dull finish to 3po, but a brilliant shine to r2.

But I guess the bigger question is, do all the pictures we're seeing show the final product as we'll get it in hand?

I still look at this and feel really excited about it despite its shortcomings. Weird.

If they do some Vacu-metalizing to Threepio then I'm sold, I'll buy it.

That paint finish currently, is bad, but is it still in a Proto stage? Are they going to be Vac-metalizing it? Answers please.

agreed...however the krylon may be more archival, rather have the gold krylon paint if it lasts longer then the gold plated if its flaking 10years down the road. I do not which is better however at $400 ea I would hope we are getting the better of the two.

The Gentle Giant Threepio hasn't flaked and that would be at least 7 years since release in 1995?

I still look at this and feel really excited about it despite its shortcomings. Weird.

No doubt.

I'm still very much interested in this piece and think it will be the definitive 1/6 C3PO figure for years to come.

Another take might be that it has this finish because it is a poseable figure that is expected to be handled a lot. Fingerprints on a mirrored finish don't look appealing. I'm just picking straws here.

I just find it hard to believe that the coloring of C3PO and R2's dome so badly missed the mark. I want to believe that these are still in prototype phase or that there's a very, very good explaination why they look this way.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with metals and metal finishing processes who might explain why they've applied such an apparently dull finish to 3po, but a brilliant shine to r2.

But I guess the bigger question is, do all the pictures we're seeing show the final product as we'll get it in hand?

I wonder if we are just seeing the next step in proto or the finished product too.

If they do some Vacu-metalizing to Threepio then I'm sold, I'll buy it.

That paint finish currently, is bad, but is it still in a Proto stage? Are they going to be Vac-metalizing it? Answers please.

:lecture

No doubt.

I'm still very much interested in this piece and think it will be the definitive 1/6 C3PO figure for years to come.

Another take might be that it has this finish because it is a poseable figure that is expected to be handled a lot. Fingerprints on a mirrored finish don't look appealing. I'm just picking straws here.

I just find it hard to believe that the coloring of C3PO and R2's dome so badly missed the mark. I want to believe that these are still in prototype phase or that there's a very, very good explaination why they look this way.

You can see prints on R2's dome in those pics, is that why they chose the flat finish for 3PO?

Even if it looks exactly like what we have seen I really believe the weight and quality in hand will be worth the price of admission. I mean, almost 1 kilo of StarWars robot. Oooh-yeah. :hi5:

I wonder if we are just seeing the next step in proto or the finished product too.

The weird thing is that the silver lower leg still appears bright chrome finish like on the SDCC one, but this newer version has lost all the gold sheen.

The head also seems a little more "egg shaped" than previously, though C-3PO's head is really susceptible to lens distortion. In the movies his head - proportions and relative detailing - looks quite different depending on the lens and lighting.

NYCC12-Tamashii-Star-Wars-003_1349980675.jpg

Plastic & metal have always been a tough (and breakable) mix. The plastic gives away to the sturdier metal if you're not careful. If you look at the pic above, the rod at the top of 3po's head has broken off. It looks a little 'goopy' like they tried to glue it back several times and it keeps coming off. All in all, I think it's a really nice figure in and of itself. I I feel you would have to be very careful in the handling, concerning the smaller plastic parts, though.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but this GG R2 looks better. To bad it's only a statue and out of scale.
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80048#.UHmbC5G9KSM

Yeah, but so is this one. Have we seen these next to anything else to give us a comparison of scale? I really have no interest in buying these, especially after these recent pics, if that's indeed what they look like.

I do wonder if these are still in the prototype phase, or if this is actually what's being released. If it is, that's a major fail, especially at the price point. The finish is the obvious problem. I also don't like the seems showing on the arms. The hands look weird too.

R2 is too small, so that's a deal breaker right there. But the aforementioned dome and 'toy-ness' of the piece are also issues.

Threepio needs to be shiny, I don't care if that means finger prints will show on it. It needs to be vacu-metalized.:lecture Just like GG did with the Threepio statue.

Yeah GG's 3po mini bust is my favourite of them all, and it's because of the finish. The head and torso proportion look spot on too.

Threepio needs to be shiny, I don't care if that means finger prints will show on it. It needs to be vacu-metalized.:lecture Just like GG did with the Threepio statue.

No doubt.
Finger prints can always be wiped off.

I just can't explain how they can boast having a "Star Wars scholar" working on this project, then foul up on the finish of both droids like that.

It irks me only because I really want to like these two.

I'm still looking forward to more info. After all, C3PO is due first and he isn't schedule for release until next year.

That in 1/6 please. :exactly:

That says it is 1/6... but then we know GG's 1/6 is a bit like Medicom's 1/6.:lol

That R2 was due to come out like two years ago. I think it's currently scheduled for release in 2017...

Yeah GG's 3po mini bust is my favourite of them all, and it's because of the finish. The head and torso proportion look spot on too.

Really nice looking bust, but yeah, underscale as much as the Medi. "Too Much Garlic" on Freaks here was going to combine that bust with the GG standing statue of Threepio (due to the weird arm poses on the statue.) He gave up when he realized the scale was too far off 1/6 on both.

GG is weird with scale - my 2-1B bust is actually pretty close to 1/6, yet others are way off.

Wrong. But close. Medicom detailed r2 better as well.

If they weathered r2 a bit and brushed his dome but WHY have jey not noted this ?

Back