Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully we get some info as to whether that gold finish was how how the production version will be.

If he gets the shiny gold, quality finish, I'll spend the crazy amount of $400 on it because the engineering involved with it seems to be superb.

That bare metal is almost shiny enough that with some gold-yellow lacquer over it, it might look decent - vac-metallizing would just be yellow lacquer over a base of aluminum anyway.

I think that dark grey plastic above and below the abdomen may be the problem - it could be slightly rubbery to absorb any pressure/torsion from the waist movement (the reason they didn't make it out of brittle die-cast metal,) and plastic has to be rigid to do vac-met treatment.

Just seems like if it was going to vac-met finish, we would have seen it by now. They have done several different versions of gold paint at the different shows. The NYCC one is not under the high contrast down lights, so looks the flattest.

Looking at this picture, it looks to me like he's been sprayed by hand, and this is no way a final production finish.. the left knee, above the joint hasnt been painted all the way down, and looks a lot shinier, almost looks to me like he's been chromed, then sprayed gold over it...

Tamashii_Nations_C-3PO_R2-D2_NYCC-09.jpg

That says it is 1/6... but then we know GG's 1/6 is a bit like Medicom's 1/6.:lol
Well, there are clues that it will scale well with SSC figs. On their site they advise that they've adopted the NA scale to break into this market, which should mean Sideshow's scale since Sideshow seems to have had some role in the development of the figure and not just a distributor. Also, 3PO's height is listed as 300mm, which is the same as Hot Toys Bespin Luke and a bunch of SSC's stuff. So basically, only way he could look weird with the SSC figs is if he's too bulky, but his proportions look pretty good to me. Sure looking forward to some comparison shots.

Looking at this picture, it looks to me like he's been sprayed by hand, and this is no way a final production finish.. the left knee, above the joint hasnt been painted all the way down, and looks a lot shinier, almost looks to me like he's been chromed, then sprayed gold over it...

They have the name plaque vac metallized :lol - anyway, medicom's prototype and product pictures of their c3po was equally non chrome, so it could just be the proto. Check out the medi pics from before release

They have the name plaque vac metallized :lol - anyway, medicom's prototype and product pictures of their c3po was equally non chrome, so it could just be the proto. Check out the medi pics from before release

Can definitely see the different in finishes but still way too expensive.

Good point.
I do hope what we are currently looking at is still WIP and not the final color.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but WTF is it about the face that looks weird? Is it just me? Somehow the face doesn't look like C3po in my minds eye. Anyone else think that? I'm so trying to talk myself into buying this thing. I'm kicking myself cause I didn't really pay it any mind at SDCC.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but WTF is it about the face that looks weird? Is it just me? Somehow the face doesn't look like C3po in my minds eye. Anyone else think that? I'm so trying to talk myself into buying this thing. I'm kicking myself cause I didn't really pay it any mind at SDCC.

This figure is far closer than the Medi or SSC PF in terms of the face sculpt. Threepio's face looks very different depending on the lens choice and lighting. Also whether his eyes are lit up or not.

The sheen and even look/color of the mask looked somewhat different throughout the films also (in some scenes in ROTJ, he looks like he's been painted orange.)

The face on the Tama looked pretty good in the previous shows, this one I think suffers from flat lighting, dark eyes (and the light catching them oddly) and a quickie paint job.

Notice the shoe shine he got on his left boot...

That looks closer to the finish I'd like to see!

Notice the shoe shine he got on his left boot...

That looks closer to the finish I'd like to see!

Good eye.

Not only is the finish wrong, but it's inconsistent thoughout the figure. Wonder if there is a chance this figure might get released with the appropriate paint job? Maybe this is merely a placeholder?

Then again, why would they go to the trouble of giving R2 a chrome dome, if they were just going to change it later.

I took photos of this at SDCC and no way it's the same figure. The one on display lights all around was more chromed. I doubt this production or close to it. I'm seriously considering getting this.

...Sideshow seems to have had some role in the development of the figure and not just a distributor.

The impression I have is that Sideshow is assisting in the manufacturing end of it, not development. Don't quote me, as I have no recollection of where I got that impression. However, I'm pretty certain of my conclusion.

I hate to say it but this GG R2 looks better. To bad it's only a statue and out of scale.
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80048#.UHmbC5G9KSM

Yeah... it's GG... wait 'til you see the mess they actually produce... :lol

Obi16.jpg

Tama Threepio gallery at Rebelscum, described as "sturdy and well-articulated":

https://www.rebelscum.com/2012_NYCC/Tamashii_Nations_C-3PO_R2-D2_NYCC/

Tamashii_Nations_C-3PO_R2-D2_NYCC-04.jpg

That proto actually looks much better... it's the paint job that kills it for me... since it's still in development, and given Tamashi/Bandai previous works, it should be quite improved by production time...

Quoted for future reference.

:lol

Bandai is pretty well versed in die-cast that looks great. So I'm guessing what we are seeing is another step towards production and not the final thing.

Regardless I'm still not dropping $800 on a pair, but I'll watch from the sidelines hoping for a deal. I do still think that the Hasbro 12" R2 is more than sufficient with a bit of work.

Just peruse this custom thread for inspiration...

Weathered Kenner Droids

Back