Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The things I don't like about the Theepio mainly:

*paint
*small / narrow head
*hip area

..& R2:

*large middle eye seems to have been a complete after thought :)monkey1)
* chrome dome
*undersized (seemingly).

So close yet so far.. :huh :slap :banghead

WTF!?!?! $400 for that C3PO!?!?! How mcuh they asking for R2? $400 too!?!? Seriously, these latest shots just make the figures look CHEAP!!!! No frickin way I'm getting these now if that's the way they look!! That dome on R2 just looks wrong.

The folks at Bluefin/Tamashii Nations allowed me to handle the 12"PM Chogokin C-3PO prototype at NYCC! This thing is HEAVY. I collect a lot of diecast robot figures, and I have to say Threepio may be the heaviest toy I've ever held. It really is a work of art, and very ambitious. I still think the price is bonkers, though.

Thanks for posting the video. It's definitely a nice piece; however, the legs obviously have very limited mobility. There will be no posing of 3PO on the back of a landspeeder.

It's a very nice piece, but for it's limitations, it's $250 nice. Certainly not $400 nice...

The folks at Bluefin/Tamashii Nations allowed me to handle the 12"PM Chogokin C-3PO prototype at NYCC! This thing is HEAVY. I collect a lot of diecast robot figures, and I have to say Threepio may be the heaviest toy I've ever held. It really is a work of art, and very ambitious. I still think the price is bonkers, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgYNDvZq_M&sns=em

We now have confirmation of bending knees. Hard to judge the scale from the video, but the figure looked substantial.

Thanks for posting the video. It's definitely a nice piece; however, the legs obviously have very limited mobility. There will be no posing of 3PO on the back of a landspeeder...
Whatever the figure's faults, that's not one of them. There's no way to make an accurate 3PO that also is able to sit. The thigh armour extends above the pelvis, so it's always going to be running into that area. Not sure how they did the landspeeder scene for ANH with 3PO sitting in the back, but I'm guessing they modified the thighs to allow Daniels to sit.

They took the shin plates off Anthony Daniels, so he could bend his knees to sit. I think most of the time 3po is sitting, they just laid the leg plates over his legs when shooting.

Last edited:
The prototype looks pretty awesome, but I'm not 100% on the final figure. R2 looks kinda eh. The chrome dome is a real puzzler, but it could just be an early prototype. All the seams on the dome where the blue pieces meet the dome look messy. And the detailing on R2 look soft. Threepio too but to a lesser extent. Perhaps having these in diecast metal doesn't allow for fine details?

They took the shin plates off Anthony Daniels, so he could bend his knees to sit. I think most of the time 3po is sitting they just laid the leg plates over his legs when shooting.

Aren't there shots of Threepio sitting in the Falcon at the Dejarik table, where you can see his bent knees?

Edit: Definitely in Jedi where he's on the Ewok throne. But they only seem to bend about 45°.

I know I've seen an interview (somewhere) where A.D. says he couldn't bend his legs in the suit. He also says that's why they did the fade up effect in ANH, when Luke and Ben pick him off the ground. He didn't have the legs on.

Aren't there shots of Threepio sitting in the Falcon at the Dejarik table, where you can see his bent knees?

Edit: Definitely in Jedi where he's on the Ewok throne. But they only seem to bend about 45°.
And that's still not saying that they didn't use a special suit for those scenes. Just looking at his upper legs and how the armour extends into the pelvis, there's no way you could sit down wearing it.

too bad about the finish as i really considered this purchase..........but for that kind of money a krylon spray paint finish ain't gonna cut it............:nono

That vid makes it look much better... I guess my main issue with these new pics is the semi-matte finish on most pieces... he should be more semi-glossy... but the engineering looks mighty impressive...

And that's still not saying that they didn't use a special suit for those scenes. Just looking at his upper legs and how the armour extends into the pelvis, there's no way you could sit down wearing it.

Furthermore, in any of the scenes where C3PO is sitting we see him ALREADY in that position. I don't believe we ever get a full head-to-toe shot of him going from standing to sitting. Special suits were designed for each position.

This is taken directly from their website:

We have selected the Episode IV appearance of C-3P0 from among the many variations that appeared throughout the series. Each and every detail has been thoroughly verified by Seiji Takahashi, Japan’s foremost Star Wars scholar.No details were spared to replicate the character with perfect accuracy in the form of a posable action figure.

Now, if Seiji Takahashi is THE Star Wars scholar of Japan, how could they have f___ked up this badly on the finish of both droids?

We have selected the Episode IV appearance of C-3P0 from among the many variations that appeared throughout the series. Each and every detail has been thoroughly verified by Seiji Takahashi, Japan’s foremost Star Wars scholar.No details were spared to replicate the character with perfect accuracy in the form of a posable action figure.

Now, if Seiji Takahashi is THE Star Wars scholar of Japan, how could they have f___ked up this badly on the finish of both droids?

and the scale. I'm not claiming to be the one that noticed it, but after someone posted it the droids do not seem to be in scale with one another. Hopefully its just the different base they have each one on.

Japan has a "foremost Star Wars scholar?" Is that a government position? In America we just call that job "Gen-Xer" and there's more than one...

All they got to do is google r2d2 and c3po to see where the top of R2 reaches on c3po, also their marketing spiel is funny lol

Back