The Book Of Boba Fett (December 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An A.V. Club article from a few days ago. A good read. While I've enjoyed seeing characters like Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Cad Bane and Faux Luke show up in Mando & BoBF, I do agree that Mando Season 1 was a success partly because it didn't have any legacy characters & story lines - i.e., nothing that was truly divisive within the fan base.

Will Star Wars TV always be this way?

What thread is this again? 😁
Designated joke and ridicule thread, courtesy of the Daimyo of Mos Espa, Beta Flop.

1640253759516.jpg

Me will rulz wiff respectz.

Yeah I know IW made millions etc. But not what I was expecting or wanted at all. To me having multiple directors involved really showed and not in a good way. I was trapped in a theater might have been opening day. Midway through with Gamora's second or third dribbly mundane speech I gave up. Might have been salvaged if the Wakanda battle was more than a blip but a Helm's Deep type fight it wasn't.
I loved the experience of watching IW and EG in theatres, of finally seeing these characters meeting and joining forces, but I haven't done much re-watching. It's hard to describe. I was satisfied (except for Hulk being abused) but it feels like a closed chapter now, especially with the new MCU stuff being mostly underwhelming.
Why is Kang wearing stripper boots? I mean, more power to him but when I heard 'Kang slays' I didn't know it meant Kang SLAYS. :unsure:

Jeez... I didn't have the time to go through 15 or so pages since last week after watching that horrible finale but I was more entertained by those 15 pages. That finale was all explosion and destruction and no substance.
Will no one think of the Gamorreans? Did Fennec and Boba even mention their loss at any point

20220219_013526.jpg

Moving on, there's just so many questionable moments in that last episode. Let's clear Luke first from people thinking he sent Grogu to the danger zone. I'm sure Luke going through his memories made him see that mechanic lady took good care of him and would know how to get in touch with Mando so he had R2 drop him off there. I know, I know he still just let him go but then again we don't know what else was there to him sending Grogu off. Maybe they had an agreement that should be change his mind, he's still welcome to continue his training or when you're satisfied with hanging out with Mando, you can come back and continue. Again, we don't know. If anything, mechanic lady is the dumbass trying to get Grogu killed. Wouldn't anybody hear all that gunfire a mile away and think something's not right? Mando also. Shooting at the big ass droid while standing and carrying Grogu. Uhm OK. Then you have the bystanders still going on with their business in the midst of all those ominous loud explosions. So many more things from this poorly executed episode (RR again) but I don't have the patience to write more about it. I'm out!

queue "Dumb the dumb dumb Boba the dumb dumb" ending theme

4fww.gif

Last edited:
Then there was End Game with more rehash. There's moments I like from both films but it's nothing I wanna rewatch and I haven't.
I loved the experience of watching IW and EG in theatres, of finally seeing these characters meeting and joining forces, but I haven't done much re-watching. It's hard to describe. I was satisfied (except for Hulk being abused) but it feels like a closed chapter now, especially with the new MCU stuff being mostly underwhelming.
Seeing IW in the theaters was an awe-inducing gut punch and EG was one of the single most exhilarating cinematic experiences of my life. But...I agree with a lot of the sentiments here that even the best of the MCU just doesn't call me to revisit it that often which based on the endless rewatchability of even the worst SW films just seems somehow wrong.

Like ZE_501 said it's a sentiment that is hard to describe. I watched IW/EG back to back again a couple months ago when Disney+ updated them with IMAX ratios and LOVED them all over again. But while I can basically play the entirety of SW on an endless loop (either in the background or as a full on rewatch) I almost need a specific reason to go back to the MCU. It was awesome, it was satisfying, it was completely unprecedented, it likely won't ever be replicated and yet...eh whatever give me more Boba Fett in a bathrobe hunting wabbits in a kitchen, lol.

Question for those brave enough to admit they love the PT: Do you hate BOBF along with everyone else?

Because so much of what we see in BOBF seems like it would have been right at home in the PT, or at the very least something that George Lucas would have wanted to put in the PT. I could easily see the Mods in that one club that Anakin and Obi-Wan track Zam to on Coruscant for instance. Or hanging out in that silly diner where Obi-Wan meets Dex.

Palpatine's antics (and facial expressions) when he duels Mace and later Yoda aren't that far removed from the craziness of Fett banging around the kitchen. Now I'm not saying that any of that stuff is ideal (far from it, lol) but I don't find the worst stuff in BOBF to be any lamer than the worst of the PT whereas the best moments of BOBF I find to be cooler than the best aspects of the PT. And none of BOBF seems to be trying to dismiss, mock, or retcon the PT. In fact it really leans into honoring it for the most part, moreso than the OT even.

My hype for IW was off the charts. Bought swag; opening night I think. Partly because finally would catch up on Team Cap; partly because the Russos were in charge. Instead for me it was a mish mash of good script/mundane script/more characters I had just seen in theaters/occasionally fuzzy CGi/lame Wakanda battle and just phhttt. Like the instant frenemy stuff between DS and Tony - maybe they really needed to make 3 movies. D@mn thought the Wakanda battle was gonna be one of the greatest battles ever put on screen:crying

Anyway never trusted a director/directors since. And I know most of the world doesn't agree with me, but it's like those films (IW/EG) have moments for me that are good or great, vs. wanting to watch all of them again. Unlike IM1 or TWS.

An A.V. Club article from a few days ago. A good read. While I've enjoyed seeing characters like Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Cad Bane and Faux Luke show up in Mando & BoBF, I do agree that Mando Season 1 was a success partly because it didn't have any legacy characters & story lines - i.e., nothing that was truly divisive within the fan base.

Will Star Wars TV always be this way?

More or less what I feel and why unlike the rest of the world, I actually felt mildly depressed when Luke showed up. Since a big attraction of Mandalorian for me was the gritty Outer Rim, characters who barely knew or cared about the Skywalkers, and more about an entirely new culture or cultures. Season 1 IMO there was just enough nostalgia to ground things without getting sucked into the vat of same old.

But Mando and TBOBF so far - Mando especially, for me - they keep doing stuff IMO that's excellent and I enjoy a lot. No way I won't be parked watching Season 3 Mando, and Obi-Wan as well. Disney has already milked me for over 2,000$+ in licensed SW products. :lol

Last edited:
[...] D@mn thought the Wakanda battle was gonna be one of the greatest battles ever put on screen:crying
Yeah, I didn't enjoy that. It was a video game before the Dusting which definitely had dramatic impact, although I knew (of course) none of it was permanent.
Anyway never trusted a director/directors since.
I've said this before; you can blame the accountants, the producers, the directors, the studios ... and you would be right, but I truly believe they're symptomatic of the fandom at large or maybe the general public as well.

The fandom is so desperate for content containing their beloved characters, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof, that they'll consume anything. Whine and complain and heap hate on it, but buy it anyway.

The general public has no such investment, for them it's forgettable spectacle to be sucked back like a Coke, disposed of and forgotten.

To be fair, how do you judge a film unless you pay to see it? (Errr...don't answer that, Pirates of Collectorfreaks.com)

So there's that.

And I know most of the world doesn't agree with me, but it's like those films (IW/EG) have moments for me that are good or great, vs. wanting to watch all of them again. Unlike IM1 or TWS.
They were events but were they well-crafted stories? I get it.
More or less what I feel and why unlike the rest of the world, I actually felt mildly depressed when Luke showed up. Since a big attraction of Mandalorian for me was the gritty Outer Rim, characters who barely knew or cared about the Skywalkers, and more about an entirely new culture or cultures.
Agreed.

Yeah, I didn't enjoy that. It was a video game before the Dusting which definitely had dramatic impact, although I knew (of course) none of it was permanent.

I've said this before; you can blame the accountants, the producers, the directors, the studios ... and you would be right, but I truly believe they're symptomatic of the fandom at large or maybe the general public as well.

The fandom is so desperate for content containing their beloved characters, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof, that they'll consume anything. Whine and complain and heap hate on it, but buy it anyway.

The general public has no such investment, for them it's forgettable spectacle to be sucked back like a Coke, disposed of and forgotten.

To be fair, how do you judge a film unless you pay to see it? (Errr...don't answer that, Pirates of Collectorfreaks.com)

So there's that.

They were events but were they well-crafted stories? I get it.

Agreed.
Agree; at least as far as I can tell. Perhaps it is a symptom of the Internet world in general; where so much information assaults a viewer so fast, an entire generation/generations are growing up essentially speed reading. You don't sit down with a huge book and peruse for days, because there's no time.

But with the digital world in general, it's a d@mn shame, because tech also brought the ability to easily rewatch; replay favorite scenes, and so on. How many of us would happily spend an afternoon binging the first three Indy films? Heck, I've rewatched Mando taking the N1 to the stratosphere multiple times, just because I find - combined with the score - it's just uplifting. That small bit of footage. (Cap limping across the blackened battlefield is about the only IW scene I rewatch; because, it's pretty awesome.)

IMO it's a miracle - and thank gawds Favreau had the clout - that the Volume was developed; and all the old school ILM folks came out of the woodwork to make that happen. Folks with knowledge and passion. So we're getting amazing visuals that never would have happened, because of budget.

As for top quality writing in Hollywood - guess it's pretty well known that Feige and others are hiring inexperienced younger writers, because they are straight up cheaper. And maybe sometimes that works. And sometimes IMO not, because these younger writers are not immersed in fantasies like SW or comics, but just wanna "message". :pfft: (TFAWS was like watching a CNN editorial at times).:sleep

At this point re Mando, and for that matter TBOBF, just hope F&F are listening to what works, what doesn't. Have gotten gun shy enough to be nervous about Mando, until the series winds up. I really hope in the end it's something I wanna binge watch time to time, and be happy I was around for an amazing introduction of new characters and worlds into SW. (Instead of being irritated that a character like Finn was so wasted when it started so well.)

For TBOBF - still think - and I have rewatched - there's a lot of problems. But the overall narrative DOES work. Bring in someone like Michelle Chow and let her see what she can do.:lightsabe

For TBOBF - still think - and I have rewatched - there's a lot of problems. But the overall narrative DOES work. Bring in someone like Michelle Chow and let her see what she can do.:lightsabe
I agree with everything except this. Do you mean the narrative could have worked?

I'll buy that. With competent writers and directors, absolutely. I wasn't married to the cipher of a 'character' Boba Fett was in the OT. He was more of an idea. Although fans of the EU will disagree with me, invested as they are in all that came before.

Star Wars really is as bad as any major religion. :LOL:

I'm Gen X.
Same thing, Boomer.

Sooo... Doom is a misogynist incel cosplayer in a green cape?
Precisely. This is me. Literally me. No other character can come close to relating to me like this. There is no way you can convince me this is not me. This character could not possibly be anymore me. It's me, and nobody can convince me otherwise. If anyone approached me on the topic of this not possibly being me, then I immediately shut them down with overwhelming evidence that this character is me. This character is me, it is indisputable. Why anyone would try to argue that this character is not me is beyond me. If you held two pictures of me and this character side by side, you'd see no difference. I can safely look at this character every day and say "Yup, that's me". I can practically see this character every time I look at myself in the mirror. I go outside and people stop me to comment how similar I look and act to this character. I chuckle softly as I'm assured everyday this character is me in every way. I can smile each time I get out of bed every morning knowing that I've found my identity with this character and I know my place in this world. It's really quite funny how similar this character is to me, it's almost like we're identical twins. When I first saw this character, I had an existential crisis. What if this character was the real me and I was the fictional being. What if this character actual became aware of my existence? Did this character have the ability to become self aware itself?

LOL

...but then again...

View attachment 563427
Literally me again.

Back