The Crow reboot with Bill Skarsgard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'd be hilarious if they re-released the original and it made more money than the remake.
we would watch it, out of spite.

jerry seinfeld coffee GIF

I don't understand why Hollywood thinks this story needs to be modernized to resonate. There's so much nostalgia for the '80s and '90s now, I'm sure a period film would've gotten more attention.
Frankly, I don't know that the Crow is all that interesting or distinctive in itself to warrant multiple films. Guy comes back from the dead for revenge is not the most revolutionary idea ().

However, I think the original film worked for people mainly because it was a reflection of the time. He was a post-Nirvana hero. The actor did a good job with the role, the movie was appropriately moody, and it had a really resonant soundtrack for the time. Probably the most attention Jesus and the Mary Chain ever got was due to their involvement with that album.

In that sense, I can actually understand their logic of trying to capture lightning in a bottle again by doing a Crow that somehow reflects today's culture. But face tattoos aren't all that mainstream last I checked. A franchise that may, sadly, best reflect our contemporary culture writ large is Fast and the Furious. If this Crow were portrayed more as a meathead with a need for speed it may have made a profit.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Also, if he were able to murder people while simultaneously checking instagram and tiktok then I think mass audiences would really be able to connect.

Come to think of it, if he was a video game playing, social media influencing Swiftie who also happened to be a murderous zombie. . .they could have printed money with this thing.

Absolutely. Also, if he were able to murder people while simultaneously checking instagram and tiktok then I think mass audiences would really be able to connect.

Come to think of it, if he was a video game playing, social media influencing Swiftie who also happened to be a murderous zombie. . .they could have printed money with this thing.
make the crow a woman :unsure:(y)

This is already going to be on streaming this Friday

Lionsgate is not having a good year.

However, I think the original film worked for people mainly because it was a reflection of the time.

Being "counter culture" and rebellious in the mid 90s was an entirely different ballgame. Mostly it was clothes, music and hair. But there were still guardrails up. Things like basic social boundaries were still enforced. Might be a little harder to "shock" people today.

I wished Brandon Lee had lived. The mid 90s, that was still an era in the industry where you could break out as a big "action star" and headline a ton of films and have your own dedicated fan base. While I don't think he was a particular effective dramatic actor, I think he had a nice solid screen presence and was a good physical actor. He also had the youth, "name", pedigree and athleticism to really stretch his legs as a future action movie star. And there's a part of me that will always have a lot of love in my heart for the original Crow film. What Proyas could do with world building with the limitations of technology at the time will always be impressive ( Just as much in Dark City as in The Crow)

But let's be honest here. Part of what made The Crow work is that it was fantasy. It offered a more dystopian take on a version of our society that was on the edge of total collapse. And Eric Draven was rebellious, "counter culture", artistic, passionate and against the mainstream.

But a character and film like that becomes a punch line in itself when it's contrasted against a much different "current world" where Eric Draven is actually kind of a straight edge person. Sure he's got leather clothes, a bunch of make up on his face and long hair. But that's actually kind of a relief compared to some of the freak show behavior that's been normalized today. How do you draw in a casual working class movie going audience on a "fantasy world" less ridiculous than the real one?

Think about it. Compared to some of the whack jobs most of you see all the time as you go about your day, especially if you live in a big city, someone like Eric Draven would be a good neighbor. Gainfully employed somewhere, enough to afford a place to live with his girlfriend. Nice to kids, especially if they have skateboards. Sure a little "trope" oriented with the long hair and guitar playing, but that's not so bad. And the face paint and "kabuki" makeup? I mean most of you have had worse neighbors than that. If that's his biggest trouble to you as a neighbor, plus the penchant for wearing leather pants, then who really cares? Is he going to be more of a burden than the neighborhood busybody alcoholic Karen who chirps in your face after drinking too much Trader Joe's box wine?

A reboot of The Crow can only work when it's "fantasy" is more ludicrous and over the top than real life. Part of the fun of escapism is seeing a kind of world you most definitely would never want to live in. If you were in Portland in 2020, you got "Devil's Night" for 100 nights straight. How does The Crow or a reboot seem "edgy" compared to that? This new version of The Crow was too tame. The fastest way to fail at worldbuilding in a film is to turn that big screen into a mirror. You'll notice post apocalyptic themed stories in film aren't that trendy anymore. That's not a coincidence.

Back