The Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When people say "ahead of it's time" it can mean several things. It can be because of it's technical prowess for instance. But it can also be because it deals with moral dilemma's, political/cultural themes that the world isn't ready for it to be discussed, or subjects of similar nature. Or simply because the film tries to do things that today's film audiences simply don't fully understand yet or are not interested in, YET.

Yupp I'm talking thematically

T2 was more than ahead of it's time, it was a game changer that used CG in a way only hinted at Cameron's own "The Abyss" three years earlier. The T-1000 was like nothing that had come before in film.

T2 worked on every level. The story complimented and improved on the first film. It had great action. Arnold was in his prime and had improved as an actor and screen presence. And wisely Cameron knew he made the best Terminator film he could and called it a day, not to be associated with the lesser projects that followed.

Between T-2 and Jurassic Park the following year it spelled the writing on the wall for older film technologies like stop motion and optical printing. By the time the Star Wars SEs arrived a few years later film editing and special effects compositing was all done in the computer.

Finally got around to going through the stock exchange takeover frame by frame. I don't think Talia was there.

People think it's her at about 13 seconds in. Walking by as the camera pans.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMemhsTfdP4[/ame]

Last edited:
It makes sense. You'd quit too if you lost the love of your life. Both in the relationship, and death.

Batman would take a toll on someone after a while.

I don't think you can be batman for a long time though, at least not in real life. The physical pain you'd have to endure for years, it would suck! Bruce also didn't envision himself being batman to the end of his days, it was always going to be a temporary thing. Even TDK already did this, and I think people haven't really realized this. The entire plot in TDK is about Bruce giving up batman so that Dent can take over. Then the Joker comes a long and....well, **** hits the fan and Bruce goes all hermit at the end of it.

I will stick with The Dark Knight Returns! Much-much better. I just don't like Nolan's version of the character.

I will stick with The Dark Knight Returns! Much-much better. I just don't like Nolan's version of the character.

Yeah I don't get it. The death of his parents drives him to become the Batman, but the death of his childhood-friend-turned-true-love makes him quit. It's not like she died because he was Batman. She would have died on her own in Batman Begins if he never took up the cape and cowl.

If everyone like the same things the world would be a very dull place, and hey, there will most definitely be more Batman films in the future and I'm sure that at some point they will go back to his comic book roots.

I don't think you can be batman for a long time though, at least not in real life. The physical pain you'd have to endure for years, it would suck! Bruce also didn't envision himself being batman to the end of his days, it was always going to be a temporary thing. Even TDK already did this, and I think people haven't really realized this. The entire plot in TDK is about Bruce giving up batman so that Dent can take over. Then the Joker comes a long and....well, **** hits the fan and Bruce goes all hermit at the end of it.

Playing devil's advocate here, but if his child-hood friend who he planned on being with when someone took his place as the city's hero died, his chance of a normal life died too. He could have potentially fallen deeper into the persona of Batman and accepted his role as protector.

In fact, I thought it was a shame that the name "Batman Forever" had already been used by a subpar movie. I thought it'd be the perfect title and a perfect ending to the trilogy to have Batman finally get a grasp on his role as Bruce Wayne and Batman. After the film, I thought we'd get an ongoing series of films like James Bond. Recasts, new directors, new production design, etc. When the title was released, I looked so far into it that I viewed it as a knight rising after he is knighted by a king. I thought the city would kind of accept him as their masked vigilante and tolerate him after believing him to be a murderer.

Obviously this is not what happened. I think the above situation would have been embraced by the haters because it's true to the comic Batman. But as you mentioned, Bruce was looking for a way out the minute he signed up. He said he'd do it "as long as it takes." His mission wasn't to fight crime and avenge his parents' deaths. It was to "inspire the people out of apathy." He wanted to take down the mob and remove the criminals/corrupt from the government. He wanted the city to become like cities today where people could turn to the government and police for help and protection. Prior to Batman's arrival, you couldn't do that and people lived in fear everyday. This is a totally different take on Batman. But if you pay attention to the details, TDKR finishes the mission as seen in BB and TDK. We didn't pick up on those details the first dozen viewings because in our minds, Bruce is Batman forever. I believe Nolan did a great job with the first two leaving his take on Batman so subtle that if he chose not to do any sequels, he didn't shoehorn his vision/direction onto any other directors. And by forcing them to reboot the series, no future endeavors will take away from his narrative. Fans will hopefully get their comic version of Batman and the Nolan fans will still have this version.

Playing devil's advocate here, but if his child-hood friend who he planned on being with when someone took his place as the city's hero died, his chance of a normal life died too. He could have potentially fallen deeper into the persona of Batman and accepted his role as protector.

In fact, I thought it was a shame that the name "Batman Forever" had already been used by a subpar movie. I thought it'd be the perfect title and a perfect ending to the trilogy to have Batman finally get a grasp on his role as Bruce Wayne and Batman. After the film, I thought we'd get an ongoing series of films like James Bond. Recasts, new directors, new production design, etc. When the title was released, I looked so far into it that I viewed it as a knight rising after he is knighted by a king. I thought the city would kind of accept him as their masked vigilante and tolerate him after believing him to be a murderer.

Obviously this is not what happened. I think the above situation would have been embraced by the haters because it's true to the comic Batman. But as you mentioned, Bruce was looking for a way out the minute he signed up. He said he'd do it "as long as it takes." His mission wasn't to fight crime and avenge his parents' deaths. It was to "inspire the people out of apathy." He wanted to take down the mob and remove the criminals/corrupt from the government. He wanted the city to become like cities today where people could turn to the government and police for help and protection. Prior to Batman's arrival, you couldn't do that and people lived in fear everyday. This is a totally different take on Batman. But if you pay attention to the details, TDKR finishes the mission as seen in BB and TDK. We didn't pick up on those details the first dozen viewings because in our minds, Bruce is Batman forever. I believe Nolan did a great job with the first two leaving his take on Batman so subtle that if he chose not to do any sequels, he didn't shoehorn his vision/direction onto any other directors. And by forcing them to reboot the series, no future endeavors will take away from his narrative. Fans will hopefully get their comic version of Batman and the Nolan fans will still have this version.

:goodpost: :clap

I agree, it's just another take on the character, the people that didn't like it will get their fill, I'm sure of it.

People think it's her at about 13 seconds in. Walking by as the camera pans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMemhsTfdP4

Yeah I kept waiting to see some confirmation later in the scene that it was actually her who walked by earlier but she never appeared again. Its a fun thing to guess or speculate on but if all we have to go on is the back of someone's head and a nod from Bane that's all we're doing; speculating and guessing.

Still fun though. :)

I've thought that too. Its a great sounding title, pity its attached to one of the lesser films.

Apparently the working title of TDKR was "Quitter Boy and Robin" but Nolan ultimately thought it sounded too much like Schumacher's second Batfilm so they changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back