The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he said exactly what needed to be said, people are still talking and writing articles about it 4 weeks before the movie release.

You're talking about a guy and studio that made Bane's voice a story of its own.

The problem is, by making said comment, he's set himself up to fail and to be viewed as a man clearly huffing his own excrement if he believes there's any truth to it.

:lol How is it, in any way, the "biggest epic since the silent era?" That was Nolan's quote and it's puffery if anything at all. Because it's not. Not production-wise, and I feel pretty ____ing safe in saying not boxoffice-wise either (it won't pass Avatar and certainly won't pass an adjusted Gone With the Wind). Maybe to Nolan's own ego, and those sackmonkeys nestled closest to his poo-smeared taint, but not even to the ____ing studio that's writing his check. You don't reboot a franchise that's "the biggest epic since the silent era" 2 years after said "epic's" release. Happy polesquatting. :wave

Way to avoid almost every question in my post.

Who even cares about the silent era anyway? The people at the Academy maybe, no one I know, that's for sure. You're dead wrong about production-wise though.

And as for boxoffice-wise, again who cares? If it's a great film then it's great. Avatar certainly isn't great, it's quite forgettable really.

Epic or not, you know just as well as I do why the people at WB will do a reboot. It's all about money and Batman films make money. Same goes for Spiderman.

The problem is, by making said comment, he's set himself up to fail and to be viewed as a man clearly huffing his own excrement if he believes there's any truth to it.

Only by people like you. Most of us will see the film for what it is.

Last edited:
He just meant he used the most people during scenes since the silent era. Which is probably close to true.

He just meant the scale. Even though today's films are big, movies like The Longest Day (not silent, I know), with the amount of extras they used, they created a very realistic scale.

There's nothing wrong with that, though. Every single person puts their foot in their mouth at one point or another; those who are in the spotlight aren't an exception. I can't speak for Nolan, but I wouldn't be surprised if, after saying it, he was smacking himself in the head for sounding so pretentious. The odds are that it was just something that slipped out during the interview. I think it's hilarious when people criticize the Nolan fans (Nolancompoops; Nolanites?) for seemingly "overanalyzing" his films, yet they do the exact same thing to the director himself (Note: this isn't just you, nam, I see a lot of it; both here and in other corners of the Internet).

He just meant he used the most people during scenes since the silent era. Which is probably close to true.

He just meant the scale. Even though today's films are big, movies like The Longest Day (not silent, I know), with the amount of extras they used, they created a very realistic scale.

:exactly:

Nam just uses anything he can to bash Nolan and his films.

Doubtful. I'm betting it was more a spur of the moment remark (which at some point, if not already, he'll regret making) stemming from pride in his work.

That's certainly my impression.

Wont diminish my opinion of the film, but it was a regrettable statement.

Gandhi in the 80s used the most extras since the silent era, something like 300,000. Nolan didn't get his film history right, period. I understand what he was trying to say (most "modern" directors don't shoot a lot of extras for crowds etc...they shoot a few, and use cgi and other tricks to create the illusion), but the intent of the message is easily lost when the exact words of the statement are flat-out wrong.

That's what I thought.

Close, doesn't make it true. But Ben Hur, and probably a couple others had more.

I guess he might have genuinely believed it at that moment, but a fact check would have been wise...

[Edit] Ben Hur and Gahndi (like DarkMagic said) https://badassdigest.com/2012/06/05...rises-the-biggest-movie-since-the-silent-era/

But he's wrong, and not even close.

That's certainly my impression.

Wont diminish my opinion of the film, but it was a regrettable statement.

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly::goodpost:

Gandhi in the 80s used the most extras since the silent era, something like 300,000. Nolan didn't get his film history right, period. I understand what he was trying to say (most "modern" directors don't shoot a lot of extras for crowds etc...they shoot a few, and use cgi and other tricks to create the illusion), but the intent of the message is easily lost when the exact words of the statement are flat-out wrong.

:exactly::goodpost:

So it was an intentional marketing ploy to stir up controversy?

No I'm just playing voidcat :lol

Doubtful. I'm betting it was more a spur of the moment remark (which at some point, if not already, he'll regret making) stemming from pride in his work.

Probably a spur of the moment remark but I don't think he would've made it lightly.

Edit: And I agree with Darkmagics post

Why does it bother you so much?

attentionwhore-poster1.jpg

:lol Um... I saw Inception as a contrived ripoff of Total Recall and Dreamscape with some Matrix mixed in for good measure. So as far as bad films, that's entirely subjective. Looking at the Batman films as isolated in their own universe, they're not bad films. But they're not the world's greatest films either. Not even really the greatest comic book movies either since he had to stray so far from the source material, and in some cases blatantly pervert it, to tell his stories.

Well, since Inception was a better film then two of the three you listed, I'd say he made an improvement.

And no, Nolan has yet to make a bad film. His Batman films may not be the greatest films ever, but they are among the best that are out here.

Going by the whole "straying so far from the source material" idea, no comic book movie could ever live up to your standards.

Well, since Inception was a better film then two of the three you listed, I'd say he made an improvement.

And no, Nolan has yet to make a bad film. His Batman films may not be the greatest films ever, but they are among the best that are out here.

Going by the whole "straying so far from the source material" idea, no comic book movie could ever live up to your standards.

The error here is your entire post is subjective, yet you're trolling and attention-whoring like it's fact.

Alex is multitasking tonight and being the butt of the joke in the Star Wars Darth Vader thread as well. :slap

Alex is multitasking tonight and being the butt of the joke in the Star Wars Darth Vader thread as well. :slap

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

If I hadn't sworn off the SW boards for the blatant idiocy that exists there, I would have a gander. They should be careful though before they get an Angry Furley-chop threatening PM. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back