The Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this on superherohype.com

The Wolverine Opens to $141.1 Million Worldwide

The end of July saw the release of just one big new studio movie while a number of Sundance indie favorites expanded nationwide looking to get some late summer love.

Although it was the only new wide release, Hugh Jackman's return as The Wolverine didn't have quite the same impact as its predecessor, bringing in just $21 million on Friday, including $4 million in Thursday previews, and ending the weekend with an estimated $55 million in 3,924 theaters. Averaging $14,000 per site, that debut is $30 million lower than where X-Men Origins: The Wolverine opened roughly three years ago.

While the $55 million is about $10 million less than was expected domestically, The Wolverine did open to $86.1 million internationally, the biggest debut ever for an "X-Men" film. This means the film, which was made for $120 million, has already earned $141.1 million worldwide. The Wolverine received a strong A- CinemaScore from audiences.

Chris Claremont, Writer of The Wolverine’s Classic Comics, Critiques the New Film

https://www.vulture.com/2013/07/chris-claremont-reviews-wolverine-movie.html

So, what did you think of the movie?

The first two acts were kick-***, and they set this up to be a really exceptional, different movie. It was like the film took this giant step forward. I liked that it focuses on the essence of who Wolverine is and what he does. Hugh Jackman is eloquent, and he owns the character at this point. It’s a surprisingly multidimensional performance. The third act wasn’t bad, per se, but it was a different tone. That moment he starts motorcycling up the 400 kilometers … he was almost riding into a different movie. It would be interesting to talk to Mangold and ask why they felt they had to go in that direction.

Maybe it was the usual Hollywood problem of too many cooks in the kitchen.

When you’re spending $100-plus million dollars, you need to give the audience what they want. The advantage of doing a comic that, over four issues, costs maybe $25,000 to produce, is you can blindside them with something that makes them say, “Holy ****.”

I feel like everyone died three times.

Well, there is that. The end sort of turned into stuff we’ve all seen before. It just started throwing superhero tropes against the wall: the Yakuza against Wolverine, the Viper imprisoning Wolverine, the Silver Samurai cutting off Wolverine’s claws. The point is not how many artful ways can he cut someone to shish kebab. There was no moment of emotional punch to match, say, Tony Stark watching what he thinks is Pepper Potts’s death in the third Iron Man. That’s a moment. There should have been one in this, but everybody was on the sidelines. There should have been more direct involvement with Mariko. The problem with that superhero silliness, I’m sitting there thinking, What’s Viper there for? And what exactly does her venom do? People go all bubbly and collapse? I wanted a moment of choice for the characters in that scene in the castle. That sort of got lost in all the running and jumping and hitting.

It’s a perfectly fine summer movie. I went into it hoping for a lot more. This is a story that [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner has wanted to tell for sixteen years, as long as I’ve known her, and that I’ve wanted to tell a lot longer. The challenge always is, when a film goes from concept to execution, it evolves depending on who is directing and who’s writing. As the creator of source material — corporate-owned source material that’s being developed by a rival corporation, no less — I have no say.

The Logan telling Jean he was sorry and looking down at the blood scene was one of "those moments", imo.

It was pretty clear what Vipers venom did though :dunno

Last edited:
She was a meh character to be sure, but without her venom they'd have to have found another way to reduce his healing factor

The only reason she was there at the end seemed to be to have someone for Yukio to fight.

They should've just had Yukio fight Harada or better yet made him the venemous mutant and left Viper out entirely

She was a meh character to be sure, but without her venom they'd have to have found another way to reduce his healing factor

The only reason she was there at the end seemed to be to have someone for Yukio to fight.

They should've just had Yukio fight Harada or better yet made him the venemous mutant and left Viper out entirely

Was it her venom that supressed? Or the little robot bug inside?

Did she make the bug?

Saw this on IMDB

Hey guys,

I'm really starting to suspect some kind of deal between Fox and Disney/marvel.

Wolverine is trying hard to get a decent story, which is what made the success of Iron Man and subsequently the marvel movies in the first place.
It also tries to tie in a more complex storyline, as seen in the post-credit scene, just like Marvel did with the Phase 1.

Now these could only be proof that the Fox is trying to replicate Marvel's success in order to do some more money

This guy thinks Iron Man was the first Marvel movie to tell a decent story, was the first to use a post-credit stinger and Fox is copying Marvel by doing what they've been doing for 13 years :slap :lol :cuckoo:

Last edited:
"Wolverine’: Why the Lowest-Opening Superhero Movie of the Summer Is Also the Best"

https://variety.com/2013/film/news/wolverine-why-the-lowest-opening-superhero-movie-of-the-summer-is-also-the-best-1200569204/

I’d happily answer yes to these questions, if I didn’t more or less believe what H.L. Mencken once said about the taste of the American public. And then there’s the minor complication that “The Wolverine” — not a reboot but, mercifully, a rethink of the whole franchise — is easily the best superhero extravaganza in a summer dominated by the bigger, noisier likes of “Iron Man 3″ and “Man of Steel.” A model of crafty, unpretentious, less-is-more genre filmmaking, it’s that increasingly rare example of a comicbook movie done right, even as it shows there’s more than one right way to do a comicbook movie.

And yet, from the opening frame of “The Wolverine” — a calm, distanced shot of Nagasaki Harbor so still and serene it wouldn’t look entirely out of place in James Benning’s “13 Lakes” — it’s clear that director James Mangold and scribes Scott Frank and Mark Bomback are up to something more than boom-boom business as usual. Mangold may be a helmer-for-hire here, but he understands the value of reserve: In a genre prone to overkill, no effect is more special than a story with a proper sense of flow and proportion. And he knows the power of Jackman’s Wolverine persona enough to trust us to follow the character into fresh geographical and mythological terrain.

The last comment of the above article is strange. Is there really some ridiculous boycott of non MCU movies? And if there was would it really affect Box Office like he claims?

Last edited:
Marvels first good movie was Blade. Batman and Robin pretty much killed comic movies on the spot. Without Blade, I don't where or what kind of comic movies we would have now.

As for post credits, Last Stand beat Iron Man by a couple years.

She reminded me of Uma Thurman.

I liked the movie, it's a shame it's not doing as good as they hoped. It was one of my favorites this summer, for sure.

Saw this on IMDB

This guy thinks Iron Man was the first Marvel movie to tell a decent story, was the first to use a post-credit stinger and Fox is copying Marvel by doing what they've been doing for 13 years :slap :lol :cuckoo:

Hope you showed him how cool you were by setting him straight. :lol

Back