To kitbash/customize, or simply buy it from someone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d rather put $1000 down for a 1oz bar of gold over a piece of resin and plastic lol but can see why people do it. If the artist is somebody you really look up to it means a lot. Not saying names but noticed some just log-in to rape pockets and give no advice to others, understand there are language barriers but come on. Personally, I’m getting alittle frustrated with this forum and all the bad vibes, is there another sites that’s devoted to kitbashing?

I’d rather put $1000 down for a 1oz bar of gold over a piece of resin and plastic lol but can see why people do it. If the artist is somebody you really look up to it means a lot. Not saying names but noticed some just log-in to rape pockets and give no advice to others, understand there are language barriers but come on. Personally, I’m getting alittle frustrated with this forum and all the bad vibes, is there another sites that’s devoted to kitbashing?

I can understand how you feel, but there are members out there that will share and help out. Dont bunch us all in together!

Doom Saber. . .has a lot of insight, methinks. Regarding the fad stuff, he's dead on about House, then Dexter, now Walking Dead. There's always some new fad. These things have a shelf life of, what, 6 months to a year? Then what?

Gary, I hope the forum gets restructured a bit to keep some of the bad vibes out of the section you would no doubt have more interest in. Honestly, custom figures have taken over my collecting habits, and I've been intimately involved in a lot of the threads referenced that are filled with the most negative vibes. And I'm about sick of it myself. Just pettiness, douchiness, and conflict for the sake of conflict everywhere you look. I still love a lot of what guys like Denny and Rainman do, but I'm about at the point where I'll just pay attention to developments, buy, and not interact much beyond that. And as with Hot Toys threads, most of the conflict stems from feelings of entitlement one way or the other. . .

Doom Saber. . .has a lot of insight, methinks. Regarding the fad stuff, he's dead on about House, then Dexter, now Walking Dead. There's always some new fad. These things have a shelf life of, what, 6 months to a year? Then what?

Which is why I'm :slap over all the Breaking Bad stuff.

People saying Mezco's wasting the license for not making the full cast of characters. . . really?? I remember when Mezco made the full cast of Heroes, when that show was super hot, and they are highly sought after now, right??

Right??

Guys???

. . .

A perfect example of the MASS BS that occurs are the RM and Iminime new release threads! LOL.. Its just madness and it always seems that the same handful give opinions, and no one elses opinions seem to matter.Opinions are just pushed aside by the "elites"

Gary, I hope the forum gets restructured a bit to keep some of the bad vibes out of the section you would no doubt have more interest in. Honestly, custom figures have taken over my collecting habits, and I've been intimately involved in a lot of the threads referenced that are filled with the most negative vibes. And I'm about sick of it myself. Just pettiness, douchiness, and conflict for the sake of conflict everywhere you look. I still love a lot of what guys like Denny and Rainman do, but I'm about at the point where I'll just pay attention to developments, buy, and not interact much beyond that. And as with Hot Toys threads, most of the conflict stems from feelings of entitlement one way or the other. . .

Thank you for the kind words. I noticed that characters from new and popular TV shows fall under the "Flavor-of-the-Month" category; movies not so much. Currently, it is the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. Dexter is still around even though it is not as strong as it was a few years ago. Once the series ends, these figures might lose a lot of their value, but other figures like those from popular movies (recent or not - as long as it is popular) and classic shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who would retain their value because they have been around for years.

I think over the years a different set of collectors came aboard because of how popular HT became with their movie licensed figs. These collectors might be younger than the average collector, hence their negative vibes. This could be the reason why this forum has it share of douchebags compare to other forums like Men with Dolls and One-sixth Warriors.

What I like about the OSW is that it is a place where you can find a poster doing an extensive kitbashes and taking pictures as he makes improvements to his bash. Here it is mostly showing a headsculpt to gauge interest or collectors showing their pre-made figures off and getting praised for it. This forum pretty much became a virtual showroom for 1/6 sellers.

Um no. He is a more of a basher than a customizer.

I like to think i'm more of a customizer than a basher.

I resculpt parts and retailor clothing. I also paint.
I like to give new visions to some parts i'm using. Either the figure is simple or more complex.
I look around for parts and find new ways of using them.

So if for you those two figres for example are kitbashed then I don't know what to say.

P1080653_zps139b5c7d.jpg

P1080616_zps3431ed2c.jpg

At the end of the day it isn't really important.

People saying Mezco's wasting the license for not making the full cast of characters. . . really?? I remember when Mezco made the full cast of Heroes, when that show was super hot, and they are highly sought after now, right??

Right??

Guys???

. . .

Don't forget Lost and how popular that was when the show aired and how popular that Andy B. Locke head was. There is also the whole Firefly fab as well, but I don't think it would be as obscure as the Lost fab in the next few years.

Honestly, the mentality that a whole line of figures based on the entire cast of a tv show would do well solely by judging the interest on this forum is not sound. Toy companies and the professional sculptors are well aware of that. It works here because not only the size sample in the SSF forum is smaller than the size sample of toy collectors in the USA, the majority of the collectors here do impulse buys. Therefore, a figure of Rachel Green, for instance, from Friends would do well here, but horrible if Neca or Hot Toys decide to make a whole line of Friends action figures.

Back to Breaking Bad, it is apparent that only a Watt and that other guy (I don't really watch BB) he teams up with are the only ones that would sell well at retail. The rest would be hard.

I like to give new visions to some parts i'm using. Either the figure is simple or more complex.

So if for you those two figres for example are kitbashed then I don't know what to say.

P1080653_zps139b5c7d.jpg

P1080616_zps3431ed2c.jpg

If you do more (which is apparent with that Swamp Thing figure) than mixing parts together and sticking tiny paint apps like a dimple or stickers, then you are a customizer regardless. To me, a kitbasher is basically what the term means; to mix and match parts.

Speaking of the Breaking Bad popularity, remember how a lot of people came out of the wood work to sell overpriced accessories after Trevor offered the heads here?

It is what made Breaking Bad "flavor-of-the-month" here. I am not saying that Trevor did this on purpose or placing blame on him as he appears to be a sculptor who actually makes what he wants rather than making money. What I think happened with most Trevor's sculpt is that he makes an awesome sculpt that people falls in love with. Once people got the sculpt, they want more items. This is where the other people comes from. As a result of this, there are a lot of additional accessories to not only quench the thirst of the people who already own the headsculpts, but to make the popularity of the figure last longer on the forums.

I mean, the Breaking Bad yellow jumpsuits are $80!

The Mad Men fab never caught on here like the others because the main character basically wears a suit that can be purchased anywhere. Basically anything you need for the character, you can get on ebay for a good price.

It is apparent that I love thread like these since it is a thread that analyzes the culture within the customs section of this board.

Anyway, to in regards to the initial question on what type of collector I am when it comes to "customs", I am a person who buys factory 1/6 figures that I really want. I also want to start customizing as I have a few unpainted heads lying around. I originally wanted a head I have to be painted, but after seeing how expensive it would cost to get it painted and how I love painting figures even though I am no good at it, I decided to practice on the head until I get good at painting eyes. When I get better, I can always strip the paint off and redo it.

I currently have an idea of what custom to do next.

P1080653_zps139b5c7d.jpg

P1080616_zps3431ed2c.jpg

you are right... it isn't important... no need for labels, not with your talent.

Seb’s in a league of his own:bow:bow:bow

Yes this maybe be true as he is very talented , but he seems to
Have very deep pockets and just throws money like nobody's business at these things.
We're as a majority of us start of with the head and buy bits here and there and can take a few weeks or months to complete.
Also what would people do I if a big company released a much better version of there 1k figure for $200.00 nobody will want the massively overpriced figure.
I think $400.00 for a full figure is not bad but when it doubles that it starts to get silly.

Yes this maybe be true as he is very talented , but he seems to
Have very deep pockets and just throws money like nobody's business at these things.
We're as a majority of us start of with the head and buy bits here and there and can take a few weeks or months to complete.
Also what would people do I if a big company released a much better version of there 1k figure for $200.00 nobody will want the massively overpriced figure.
I think $400.00 for a full figure is not bad but when it doubles that it starts to get silly.

I don't quiet understand.
I don't have deep pockets. I buy a lot of parts wether they are expensive or not. I just buy what I think will fits right with the figure i'm building.

I sell a lot of figures also to be able to fund others.

I don’t know why the spot light is moving towards Seb? He’s one of the main pillars of the community here along with Ski, Galactiboy, Karamazov80, Cain and so on. Hate threats like this:(

I don’t know why the spot light is moving towards Seb? He’s one of the main pillars of the community here along with Ski, Galactiboy, Karamazov80, Cain and so on. Hate threats like this:(

Threats? Nobody has been threatened.
Also I think the spot light is on Elvis because he Is amazing at what he does.
Even in you google certain figures his pop up especially the MGS stuff on various game forums.
Also when I said deep pockets it was not meant to offend , I was just saying his customs must cost a lot of money as the amount of parts he uses on each figure is massive.

Nobodies attacking him if anything the opposite.
Do envy his talents and wish I could build every figure I want.
Just can’t afford it.
All good hes one artist that I would buy from and have one piece he put together.
One of my favourite pieces wouldn’t sell either.:)
just read above .how easy it is to get the wrong idea :)

Last edited:
Back