Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it has nothing to do with (not) being able to afford it. BD just isn't worth the $$. I can get 3 maquettes for that money which is way more poly, sculpting & producing time counted together IMO.

Do you think I would trash the item or the company?

Remember, i'm a Weta freak, but I have some perspective - $700 is a ridiculous amount, think what you could do with that vs this dust-collector.

And by the way i think the sculpt, and the company who made it, are nothing but beautiful, but c'mon..... $700, and the pre-auth nonsense...

Agreed....

Anyone shortcoming this piece because they don't think it's uber detailed or not much into it are felt out wrong. A more expensive material was used on the the tower to get the details we want in this piece. Yes, it's expensive but it is the best environment Weta has done and IMO is more detailed than even rivendell.

Agree. Barad would be One great item to get. 850$ (with shipping to me) - it's really HARD to afford (honestly, I have only 2 items so expensive in my collection now: Big Chap Maquette and T800 Scale Model 2004), but it's really beautiful. Just see the pre-release pic-s with enlarge option, details are crazy. This item will be very hard to get in the future and it will be even more expensive.
The cost is crazy, yes. But everyone makes it these days. Look at the Sideshow "Legendary" Scale figures. Pure insane! Look at the Enterbay's Joker and Batman 1/4 - too expensive for their quality.

Anyway, I still want my money back! :D

Anyone shortcoming this piece because they don't think it's uber detailed or not much into it are felt out wrong. A more expensive material was used on the the tower to get the details we want in this piece. Yes, it's expensive but it is the best environment Weta has done and IMO is more detailed than even rivendell.

People are going to _____ and whine... I just laugh when they say this is less detailed than the DM one and shouldn't cost more than a hundred dollars. This is going to be the grail piece for weta environments.

People are going to _____ and whine... I just laugh when they say this is less detailed than the DM one and shouldn't cost more than a hundred dollars. This is going to be the grail piece for weta environments.

Made some soom in the center...It will fit in nicely...I might put DM in the center and Weta on the right

Last edited:
Agree. Barad would be One great item to get. 850$ (with shipping to me) - it's really HARD to afford (honestly, I have only 2 items so expensive in my collection now: Big Chap Maquette and T800 Scale Model 2004), but it's really beautiful. Just see the pre-release pic-s with enlarge option, details are crazy. This item will be very hard to get in the future and it will be even more expensive.
The cost is crazy, yes. But everyone makes it these days. Look at the Sideshow "Legendary" Scale figures. Pure insane! Look at the Enterbay's Joker and Batman 1/4 - too expensive for their quality.

Anyway, I still want my money back! :D

I agree the price is for hardcore folks for sure. I am crazy so I was all in. :lol

Yeah, people will but unless they get really nasty it's no harm no foul. They have the right to say it but anyone being honest knows it doesntnhabe as much detail as the DM version. I don't know nor care about that. I know I think it's amazing and I wanted it do I'm making the choice to get it.

I agree the price is for hardcore folks for sure. I am crazy so I was all in. :lol

Yeah, people will but unless they get really nasty it's no harm no foul. They have the right to say it but anyone being honest knows it doesntnhabe as much detail as the DM version. I don't know nor care about that. I know I think it's amazing and I wanted it do I'm making the choice to get it.

There should be no doubt by anyone that it will be amazing

OK, here is my story, part three.

They can do nothing with their bank. The bank will cancel the hold status in 4 or 5 days (it would be Monday or Tuesday) and I'll get my money back. Maybe. Maybe it will took whole 14 days, they don't know and can't say.

I do understand the whole situation but should say that they really need to change the pre-auth policy to get only 1$ from cards. Let's be honest, my bank pays only for their requests, it doesn't pays for it's own will, and my troubles in this case is WETAs or Bank of NZ fault. It's their system created the full amount bill that took on hold my funds. And I'm afraid to do any pre-orders with WETA Collectibles now, I won't any more. >_<

So I'm really _____**ed up with that here. Will write how many days it took to get rid of hold status later.

Be very carefully with their pre-orders using debit cards, mates!

If my mind changes on this, I'd prefer to pick this up at Comic Con next year, and save myself the shipping cost.

From the moment I saw the pics from SDCC, I knew I had to get it no matter what. :lol I was a bit shocked at the price at first, but that's the price set up by Weta, so what can you do? It's either you buy it or not. Good thing I had 118 Weta dollars and applied it to somehow buffer the blow on my card come Dec/Jan. $77 shipping from NZ to Oz, expensive there but this is big I know. I hope AU$ exchange rate will still be good as it is now by the time it ships. I have already imagined it displayed beside my Orthanc. I thought, that's the two towers, you have to have both. :) Now, the waiting begins. :wink1:

Yeah, the weta dollars soften the blow nicely for me as well. I believe I ended up at $545 for this after using mine. The wait won't be too bad as Dec/Jan will be here fast.

To me it has nothing to do with (not) being able to afford it. BD just isn't worth the $$. I can get 3 maquettes for that money which is way more poly, sculpting & producing time counted together IMO.

Or you could get a couple of droids.... no wait, that will cost you an extra $50.

So sure, it's not cheap, but somehow I don't Weta just doubled the price because they can, it just is more expensive to make then an open edition Rivendell.

Also, remember, your going to get at least 10% in Weta Dollars, so if paying full amount, that's $70USD that you can use on your next order, plus it will make you an instant gold collector, so for next year, you'll get 15% in Weta Dollars.

But I guess, at the end f the day, if it's just not worth it to you, then don't buy it.

Huh, you get 15% as a gold collector. Mine estimated the 15% so I guess I am a gold collector but don't really know how that happened.

I've never seen the DM version in person but I doubt it comes close to the detail here. I guess the issue is whether Weta went too overboard on accuracy which bumped the price point. I mean how many collectors would compare screen caps vs the produced piece... oh wait, forget it I am sure it would happen :) See any Alien thread and you get this sort of thing. But still I could do with a little less accuracy and detail for a cheaper price because, as the Rivendell fans so love to point out, don't look at it so closely. How much detail do we really need to enjoy the piece vs the pain of the price. I still hope to somehow come in at < 500 for this piece down the road.

You've spent $500 in the last year I believe. I'd have to double check but that's it I believe.

You've spent $500 in the last year I believe. I'd have to double check but that's it I believe.

Ironic given all the tone in this thread about price ;) we are all gold collectors with statue inflation. Maybe they need to up the threshold.

Yeah, this statue puts you at that mark pretty easy. The Weta dollars add up pretty quick too and go right into your balance when the item ships.

Yes so my net on this is 595 dollars with WETA dollars earned which I will surely have little problem spending over the next few years.

Back