Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Josh! That's a lot of ME goodness you got. This, Dwalin and Balin all look amazing.:rock

Thank ya! Yeah, I used the good weather outside today to take pics of everything I've gotten the last few weeks. Barad-Dur is just superb. So glad to have this in the collection. Dwalin and Balin are freaking great! Both are so good looking in person. My two favorite Dwarfs from the movie.

A few pictures of my Barad Dur, the best environment to date without a doubt.

ksz6o.jpg

24oautx.jpg

24wf3w4.jpg

33eh5z6.jpg

6ymg7c.jpg

9hhmqt.jpg

9gbukp.jpg

35887id.jpg

ofn7v7.jpg

24d0jrd.jpg

You're right Dwarves. :lol

Thanks! I'm pleased with all my photos from yesterday. Was worried most about Barad-Dur but they came out ok.

Yes, they have. $700 as I said is a lot of money but this thing is so detailed, big, and it's an attention grabber. I think to truly do this right there was no other way.

Just ordered this. Will display it behind my Sauron PF when it arrives.

Detail looks insane!

Chris

Hey man.

Just bear in mind its not full polystone and you'll be happy.

I have one and am happy with it but you sir might have higher expectations, so I thought I'd forewarn you, buddy :wave

Hey man.

Just bear in mind its not full polystone and you'll be happy.

I have one and am happy with it but you sir might have higher expectations, so I thought I'd forewarn you, buddy :wave

:lol

Thanks for the heads up. I read up on it quit a bit before I placed the order. I'm aware its not full polystone, but I figured its still pretty large for how I was planning to display it. I have Jerry vanderstelt's Sauron giclee and in the print you can see Barad dur in the background. So Jerry's are print was pretty much what I was going for with this.

Another piece I've been on the fence with ordering is Frodo's sword.

https://www.wetanz.com/sting-fine-art-limited-edition-the-master-swordsmith-s-collection/

It looks incredible, I've just never collected replica swords ever. 8k is quite a hefty price for a sword....I think?....then again I collect model cars that are pretty much the same price. Only difference is they have some insane detail, materials and time involved to justify the price. This sword is simply.....a sword lol. What could possibly make it worth 8K other than it took 3 weeks to craft?

Can someone help me justify this purchase lol :dunno

Chris

I've read on a few forums that Peter Lyon himself said that the united cutlery versions are made to the same accuracy and quality as his. The main difference being the UC pieces are only wallhangers meant for display and Peters made with the sturdiness of actually going into battle. I don't know about anyone else....but I wouldn't spend 8k on a prop replica to actually use it in a fight. Not to mention, being 2013 I would literally be bringing a knife to a gunfight lol.

You do get a nicer box with the weta version and able to say it was made by Peter. But does that really justify a $7800 jump in price tag over the UC version?

I think I'll get the UC versions as they sound to be the same quality as weta's, "thousands" cheaper and have more swords made from the movies I can display.

Chris

Atheris
I am with you. I have been tempted by this piece for awhile and just can't swallow the price on it. Plus I would love to get the scabbard with it and that adds another 6k. So you are talking 14k before shipping and fees, let alone the "cheaper" extras like sharpening. And while I can afford that price I just don't know if I want it that badly.

One thing that did strike me was how cheap the movie version looked on screen without the real silver inlay. When I first saw sting I looked right at the handle and sure enough the silver was flat against the wood.

So there's really no way to sugar coat this, buying the piece cannot be rationalized it is a pure vanity purchase (which is fine, mind you).

I've read on a few forums that Peter Lyon himself said that the united cutlery versions are made to the same accuracy and quality as his. The main difference being the UC pieces are only wallhangers meant for display and Peters made with the sturdiness of actually going into battle. I don't know about anyone else....but I wouldn't spend 8k on a prop replica to actually use it in a fight. Not to mention, being 2013 I would literally be bringing a knife to a gunfight lol.

You do get a nicer box with the weta version and able to say it was made by Peter. But does that really justify a $7800 jump in price tag over the UC version?

I think I'll get the UC versions as they sound to be the same quality as weta's, "thousands" cheaper and have more swords made from the movies I can display.

Chris

You aren't going to be hitting people so what does it matter if it is a "wall hanger"? Rational thought leads to the UC version being the one to get.

Back