Wonder Woman - June 2, 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017

I love hearing everybody's ideas about this stuff. Me, personally, I always thought it would be neat if you had a contemporary Superman who arrived in 1938. It's always struck me as awfully convenient that Superman ages at a normal rate until he hits puberty, then slows to a crawl, once he's old enough to sell comic books. So, what if he aged at a third of the rate of humans? Ma and Pa Kent are a couple of twenty-something newlyweds who take on an unenviable responsibility because they think it's the right thing to do. One of the ideas I had is the two of them sitting at the table with little Clark and, suddenly, they hear Orson Welles' radio broadcast of War of The Worlds and start freaking out about whether or not their baby is part of some Martian invasion force.

I toyed with the idea of John being drafted in World War II, and Martha playing single mom to Clark, who's going through his terrible twos for the better part of three years. You could have a bit of a Spielberg tone in the '70s, with Martha being a 70-year old widower and a sort of mysterious hermit, and Lana Lang, Kenny Bravermen, and Pete Ross being a group of curious kids who sneak up on to Kent farm to find out what she's hiding, only to become part of the secret as they befriend Clark.

Lana's relationship with Clark could mirror Benjamin Button, to a degree, with her feeling a sense of loss as she gets older and he stays the same. Eventually, you reach the Information Age, where Clark ventures out on his own, a 26-year old with over 80 years worth of knowledge. Lois notices, right away, that things seem off, when he and Superman arrive at the same time. Moreso, when she tracks his mother to a retirement community and finds that she's over 100 years old. I figure his age could also go a ways toward explaining his costume. To the world at large, his outfit seems old fashioned and somewhat ridiculous, but his experiences as a, technically, 80+ year old man have informed his sensibilities and taste. He likes his trunks, because, to him, they remind him of the comic book heroes he read about as a kid, and the strongmen he encountered when the circus came to town.

I like the idea of a young Clark Kent, alienated from the world, retreating into his comic books, and, in a weird, meta way, I think it would be kind of cool if, like any kid, he fantasizes about becoming a superhero, but he connected on an emotional level with a character (obviously not Superman, but like Superman) as the sort of ultimate outsider who he could relate to and aspire to be like; a role model for a little alien boy.

I always liked Frank Quitely and Rafael Grampa's style of Superman, with the ill fitting, baggy, homemade looking suits that I'd assume Ma Kent helped him make. That thick, heavy fabric, like the old serials and the George Reeves show. To me, I like the idea of Jor-El and Lara being absentee parents. This wasn't something they planned on, they stole a shuttle, inputted coordinates for the most habitable world, and tried to save their baby as best they could. They didn't know if he'd live or die in the vastness of space, but it was a chance they were willing to take in order for him to even possibly survive. With that in mind, they were neither equipped nor prepared enough to upload the entire history of a planet to their child's spaceship.

I think that's the beauty of these characters, though, is that everyone has their own idea of what things could be like. I'd love to see Gaspar's ideas brought to life. It seems a lot more high concept with Mr. Mxyzptlk and all that transdimensional mischief he gets into, and I like the idea of Superman being an emissary, of sorts, for the people of Krypton.

Last edited:

EDIT: Turns out, they just added 3 more chapters to the Physics syllabus! Around 100 pages or so. Days before the finals.

raw
Seems like it's time for a blood sacrifice to the chaos gods, go find yourself a virgin! Good Luck!

In my mind, "magic" would be more similar to the OT Force, than anything. You see all those films and tv series, and magic is alway broken bones and creepy women, or human sacrifices and all that nasty stuff, but it never really made that much sense to me. I mean, if you've got a multidimensional being out there, I doubt it's gonna care whether you're offering it the carcass of a young virgin drowned in chicken's blood. So I figured I'd take a different approach, ala Star Wars. The "magic" is still there, and it's undoubtedly something more than just the material world, but it doesn't cross over to loony-territory.
It would mean to me that there are creatures outside and above of our experience, not necessarily intelligent creatures, that maybe actually feed on that stuff, like witches cauldron soup, a virgin, etc etc, and that's the way to summon them,

One thing that I'd like to expand upon is his sense of hmour, to tell you the truth. It's canon that he has a variation of "All you need is Love" playing in the dungeons:

Doom.png

And there are many instances where he's a sarcastic troll, especially towards the F4. He's not the type of guy to crack jokes, but he's no Darth Vader who lives and dies by the mission. Beneath the mask, he's very much still human. He enjoys good cuisine, music, he paints in his free time, he plays the piano, he fantasizes about having Emma Frost in his dungeons, he takes trips to the times of King Arthur to bone Morgan Le Fay, you know, normal guy stuff...

The only problem I have is that you can't really give him a friendly supporting cast without massively altering the character. The closest thing he's had to friends over the years have been Namor, Loki, and depending on the ocassion Iron Man, with mutual feelings of respect towards Magneto. I havesomething in mind, but it's still ways off.
It must burn you the way they always misrepresent Doom, I often complain about Supes, but looks like Doom has it way worse.

If I'm not dead by exhaustion by then, I'll surely try to work on it. A healthy hobby is at least good for your well-being. Hell, I don't even have time to read my subs anymore. I get my comics once a month, and for two months now I haven't even touched them. Customization is a really big no-no as well.
Luckily for me I have some time, I do have to binge them a little, but in one free weekend day I finish them all, it's actually better than to read issue by issue and having to wait.

In either case, it would be a new addition, so at least it'd set the look apart. But I always was and will be in the "boots" camp, not matter the character. I just find those knee-high "boots" really cool-looking, be they on Batman, Iron Man (it's more a look than an actual boot, but you get the point) or whatever.
There are characters, that need to have snazzy ridiculous costumes, that's part of the essence of superheroes, and Superman is one of them.

So is Batman, depending on the approach.

I love hearing everybody's ideas about this stuff. Me, personally, I always thought it would be neat if you had a contemporary Superman who arrived in 1938. It's always struck me as awfully convenient that Superman ages at a normal rate until he hits puberty, then slows to a crawl, once he's old enough to sell comic books. So, what if he aged at a third of the rate of humans? Ma and Pa Kent are a couple of twenty-something newlyweds who take on an unenviable responsibility because they think it's the right thing to do. One of the ideas I had is the two of them sitting at the table with little Clark and, suddenly, they hear Orson Welles' radio broadcast of War of The Worlds and start freaking out about whether or not their baby is part of some Martian invasion force.
I always thought of giving Superman super slow aging, but I never thought of making him arrive on earth in the 30's, thats a very original approach you have there, and it's a very organic way of dissecting the character without riddling of mundane conflicts like everybody does, I like it a lot.

And that war of the worlds, man that's a great touch.

I toyed with the idea of John being drafted in World War II, and Martha playing single mom to Clark, who's going through his terrible twos for the better part of three years. You could have a bit of a Spielberg tone in the '70s, with Martha being a 70-year old widower and a sort of mysterious hermit, and Lana Lang, Kenny Bravermen, and Pete Ross being a group of curious kids who sneak up on to Kent farm to find out what she's hiding, only to become part of the secret as they befriend Clark.
Can you imagine if Clarks abhors violence so bad because his dad died in the war? That's great man, woah.

And that super8 type thing with his friends, another fantastic touch.

Lana's relationship with Clark could mirror Benjamin Button, to a degree, with her feeling a sense of loss as she gets older and he stays the same. Eventually, you reach the Information Age, where Clark ventures out on his own, a 26-year old with over 80 years worth of knowledge. Lois notices, right away, that things seem off, when he and Superman arrive at the same time. Moreso, when she tracks his mother to a retirement community and finds that she's over 100 years old. I figure his age could also go a ways toward explaining his costume. To the world at large, his outfit seems old fashioned and somewhat ridiculous, but his experiences as a, technically, 80+ year old man have informed his sensibilities and taste. He likes his trunks, because, to him, they remind him of the comic book heroes he read about as a kid, and the strongmen he encountered when the circus came to town.
Stop it! Too much!

I like the idea of a young Clark Kent, alienated from the world, retreating into his comic books, and, in a weird, meta way, I think it would be kind of cool if, like any kid, he fantasizes about becoming a superhero, but he connected on an emotional level with a character (obviously not Superman, but like Superman) as the sort of ultimate outsider who he could relate to and aspire to be like; a role model for a little alien boy.
Aaaaargh write this, man, you too, write your story, this is gold!

I always liked Frank Quitely and Rafael Grampa's style of Superman, with the ill fitting, baggy, homemade looking suits that I'd assume Ma Kent helped him make. That thick, heavy fabric, like the old serials and the George Reeve show. To me, I like the idea of Jor-El and Lara being absentee parents. This wasn't something they planned on, they stole a shuttle, inputted coordinates for the most habitable world, and tried to save their baby as best they could. They didn't know if he'd live or die in the vastness of space, but it was a chance they were willing to take in order for him to even possibly survive. With that in mind, they were neither equipped nor prepared enough to upload the entire history of a planet to their child's spaceship.
Quitely is one of my favorite Supes artists, if not my favorite, he's my main inspiration for how Supes should look; barrel chested, big boi but not shredded, super simple but colorful costume, not stupidly handsome, just a strong jaw and maybe squinty eyes and rosy farmboy cheeks.

I think that's the beauty of these characters, though, is that everyone has their own idea of what things could be like. I'd love to see Gaspar's ideas brought to life. It seems a lot more high concept with Mr. Mxyzptlk and all that transdimensional mischief he gets into, and I like the idea of Superman being an emissary, of sorts, for the people of Krypton.
Thanks man, your ideas blew my mind, darthkostis' ideas are also excellent, he makes me want to read Doom stuff and I'm not even a fan of Doom.

:duff

Thanks so much, sir! It means a lot! Kostis' ideas are amazing, as well. I kind of feel like Magic can work either way and it's really in the eye of the beholder. Ironically enough, it seems like both your positions are coming from the same place: whatever source of power/God/extradimensional being that's responsible for the magic having a total disregard for humanity. Kostis' so much so as to not give a **** about ritual sacrifices and the like, and yours in that they don't care enough for people to consider their well being, but they make for tasty treats.:lol

I also like the idea of Stark having some Mediterranean ancestry. As someone who's half Greek myself, it'd add a degree of relatability to the character for me. I feel like I'm actually learning a lot about Doom just from reading your pitches, Kostis. I had no idea he was related to Vlad the Impaler, for instance. I would be particularly interested in the political aspect of the story. I always thought it'd be kind of fascinating to see what these comic book despots were like on a procedural level. I always thought it'd be cool to see what the likes of Darkseid and the New Gods were like through the eyes of the enslaved citizens of Apokolips, but, yeah, seeing the ins and outs of the Latverian Monarchy would be fascinating.

Spoiler Spoiler:

This has got to be one of the best AUs I've come across in recent years. It focuses less on the alien part of Supes, and embraces his inner boy-scout. It's amazing that when fans are involved, they can pick just one side of the character, and still make it work, whereas professionals often get lost trying to make them "theirs", that they fundamentally change them.

Seems like it's time for a blood sacrifice to the chaos gods, go find yourself a virgin! Good Luck!

Don't know about virgins, but I've got some people in mind...

It would mean to me that there are creatures outside and above of our experience, not necessarily intelligent creatures, that maybe actually feed on that stuff, like witches cauldron soup, a virgin, etc etc, and that's the way to summon them,

Actually that's a great way of looking at it as well. The poor witch thinks she has the attention of an Elder God, but the all it wants is to eat that delicious stew.

It must burn you the way they always misrepresent Doom, I often complain about Supes, but looks like Doom has it way worse.

Well, there are only three stories that were really bad. One is Unthinkable, where Doom skins his first love alive, makes an armour out of her skin, torments the Fantastic Four and then throws kid Franklin into Hell. That made him really hard to root for in the stories that came after. After that, there's Hudlin's Black Panther, where he has Doom going around "lol, africans are dumb", blue eyed and everything. Essentially he wrote him as a "classic" European King, who's racist and all. T'Challa walks in, disses on the architecture, outplans him in his own turf, and then leaves. Which was pretty ******** and a far cry from how Priest wrote Vic. Hell, T'Challa's been getting the short end of the stick since the new vol started as well. Coates may be a good writer, but as a comic book one, he lacks a ton. The book is so awful, the majority of BP fans, myself included, have dropped it.

Another scene I didn't like was in Captain Britain & MI-13. Dracula is planning on assaulting Britain, and makes a deal with Doom on the Moon. After all is said and done, Vlad says that once Britain is his "he'll remove all the Islamists from the country" and Doom responds that it's foolish for an artifact such as Dracula to think like simple men. I get the sentiment behind it, but Dracula is a man from the 1400s who had the Ottomans as the Top Cops for most of his life. Their go-to method of execution was ****-impaling for crying out loud (they would put the person's **** atop the spike, and then let gravity do all the work, effectivelly letting the person suffer for a long time until the spike finally tore through their internal organs). Right or wrong (well, I'm gonna say mass genocide falls on the wrong spectrum), it makes sense for Vlad to think like that. Doom of all people, who threw a kid to a literal pack of demons should've been more understanding. Kiling, maiming, skinning, that's good and all, but racism? That where a self-respecting villain draws the line dammit! It makes his collaboration with Red Skull in Brubaker's Cap all the more hilarious though.

Bendis' been well though, against all odds. And it looks as if we'll be visiting Latveria in Issue 5.

Luckily for me I have some time, I do have to binge them a little, but in one free weekend day I finish them all, it's actually better than to read issue by issue and having to wait.

I just look at them in my breaks, but when it's nearing midnight, I'd rather see an episode from a TV-Series (just started Mad Men) and not read again. And so the pile keeps getting bigger.

There are characters, that need to have snazzy ridiculous costumes, that's part of the essence of superheroes, and Superman is one of them.

So is Batman, depending on the approach.

Super-Heroes in general need costumes. Some up updates here and there are nice and all, but the whole obsession with putting them in normal clothes is rather silly. I can see the X-Men wearing leather since they're mostly just "teachers", but Spider-Man needs his spandex.

[...] I'm not even a fan of Doom.

846327.png

I also like the idea of Stark having some Mediterranean ancestry. As someone who's half Greek myself, it'd add a degree of relatability to the character for me.

Get outta town (if it's not evident from my username, that's where I'm from)! As for Stark, he was part Italian in the Ultimate Universe, and for a while that was all I read (for some reasons all Ultimate titles were available here, whereas the main books weren't that easy to come by), so his name, which was changed to "Antonio", plus his mother's name, made young me pin him as being mixed. So it's more of a "for nostalgia's sake" thing if I added it. And you know, with so many characters being British-Americans, I figured I'd make them Someting-Americans to make it a tad different. I'd never go as far as to completely change them, but I figure a bit of variable ancestry wouldn't hurt. Hell, Marvel making him a full-blown British person (the son of SHIELD & HYDRA spies to be exact) who was adopted from an orphanage in Bulgaria changes more things!

I feel like I'm actually learning a lot about Doom just from reading your pitches, Kostis. I had no idea he was related to Vlad the Impaler, for instance.

Ultimate Doom is connected to Vlad, and here's another interesting fact: In the Ultimate U he's got goat legs, and that's a reference to an old folk tale about men who are related to the devil. So while Doom with metallic skin and goat legs looks silly, it makes him much more rooted into symbolism and the supernatural. Most found it stupid, but I liked it as an AU.

I would be particularly interested in the political aspect of the story. I always thought it'd be kind of fascinating to see what these comic book despots were like on a procedural level. I always thought it'd be cool to see what the likes of Darkseid and the New Gods were like through the eyes of the enslaved citizens of Apokolips, but, yeah, seeing the ins and outs of the Latverian Monarchy would be fascinating.

The problem is when these characters get too powerful. You can have a series about the Devil himself and make it good (see Lucifer), but you need to scale his powers down. Seeing life from Darkseid's POV would be great, but it could work mostly as a mini or maxi series. Whereas a human character, no matter how powerful, still is pretty weak compared to such godly entities, and thus, works.

Generally, while I alternate between Iron Man and Doom, I also alternate between takes! For Doom especially, I had an idea that would be a big deviation, but it'd make for an interesting take. See, I've been high on Star Wars these last few days, and I started toying with the idea of a SW-themed Marvel story. We'd start with Doom like in my previous pitch, but after his 20s or so, he'd be taken in by Magneto, who after WW2 stayed in the shadows and became a force of good. Due to his slow aging, he'd be a white haired Fassbender instead of Ian McKellen. Anyway, he'd be the Obi-Wan of the story, being both a mentor and a friend to Victor. Wanda would be the Padme of the story, and Pietro I haven't worked in yet. Either way, for a long while, we'd follow Doom as a legit hero, maybe this Universe's Iron Man. That'd make his descendt towards the dark all that much more detailed I think.

Either way, at some point his feelings of frustration would cause him to turn to the occult and seek out the Ancient One. Considering him an idealistic fool as well, he'd turn to the Marquis of Death (the Emperor). Eventually he'd turn into Proto-Doom, with the hood and everything. Things would play out like in EP.III, with him going against Magnus and killing Wanda. Magnus saves his grandkids (Kristoff as in Kristoff Vernard, Doom's adoptive son from 616, William as in Wiccan, and maybe Valeria). And then we move on to a full-on Doctor Doom, with Wiccan as Luke, Valeria as Leia and Kristoff as a mix between Kylo Ren and Cade Skywalker. It's not something I'd ever write because it's essentially a copy of SW and borrows a lot of characters from other properties, but it'd certainly be a nice experiment.

It's mainly this why I don't know which character to choose, really. If I go with Doom, there's more to be told about him, but due to the nature of his character, you run the risk of watering him down too much if you have him as the central character at all times. It's why I'm leaning more towards my original "Iron Man" idea at certain times. See, I had this "pitch", of Tony and Vic being co-stars of such a book. Tony would start as an arrogant prick due to life's circumstances (see the previous IM related posts), and Doom(same, see the previous DD posts) would start out as idealist, but the more they'd see of the real world, the more their POVs would change, resulting a classic Obi-Wan/Anakin rift, but without being a copy of SW. So that way, I can both write Victor consistently and explore his side of the world, and not write him enough to water him down and "lose" the Doctor Doom persona.

The Stark segments would deal with the modern world, and the Doom ones would deal mostly with the old one. Stark's would be about undyinghuman ambition, and Doom's about the utter insignificance in front of the cosmos. Stark would grow more hopeful and would start letting go of his problems and start being a better man(though not to the "cookie-cutter" extremes, like I said, he'd still be a womanizing prick with a God complex, he'd just be interested in more than than just himself), and Doom would do the exact opposite. I think it'd be interesting to see these two philosophies and "roads" clash. No one is technically wrong, because yes, in the face of Cthulhu, humans are insignificant, but on the other hand, it doesn't make our lives any less real, any less happy, painful or "fake". Also, "Iron Man" as a title would be more of a reference to their respective transformations than just a super-hero name. Tony would become a man encassed in "iron", who'd actually be a man f iron will, and Vic would become a man of iron will, who's actually trapped in his own "iron prison".

PS: I've been watching a couple of WW2 themed movies these past few days, and I've started putting the basics together for an AU Marvel Universe where the Nazis won. I'm thinking of Red Skull discovering mutants early, and seeing them as the next step of human evolution, taking in a young Magneto as his protegee, killing Hitler and moving into a "House of M" style modern day MU. It's still rough, but it'd be interesting I think.

For a second there I thought it was a new photo of Power Rangers Goldar but nope, just a new photo of WW
Spoiler Spoiler:

IMG_1092.JPG

It is just a miracle that she's getting away with pulling off WW, it's working but she just doesn't look like a powerful goddess to me.

Back